Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Concerned about loose suspension... possible mods.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Default Concerned about loose suspension... possible mods.

I just purchased an '05 3i sedan and must say I've been impressed with it's performance so far. It's a blast to drive, and for the price and what I need this vehicle for, I didn't think it would drive and feel so well. The model I have is bare-bones (as in power-nothing!) and I'm concerned that it rolls too much when taking turns. I'm not sure if better versions of the car have a different suspension or not.

I got a little over-excited the other day and couldn't hold a turn even as good as an old '03 accord I had once could.

Anyone had a problem with the car rocking/slipping too much in turns? Also, any suggestions on mods I can make to tighten it up? I've never modded anything before, but since I plan to drive this thing for quite a while, I figured it might be worth it. Thanks for your help!

-JVaho

Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Default RE: Concerned about loose suspension... possible mods.

hmm im not sure if the more expensive models have different suspension components...i believe its all the same...if your concerned about body roll in corners, probably the cheapest route to go is ugrade the sway bars and get a strut tower bar....those mods are relatively inexpensive and easy to install and are gauranteed to stiffen the chassis.

if you wanna go crazy, lower the car...but since its got a brand new suspension i wouldnt screw with it...im guna wait till my car needs struts to be replaced before lowering it...

also if ur slipping in corners, remember that you have dealership rubber on the car, not high performance tires...just keep that in mind - tires make a huuuuuge difference

goodluck bud

Old 03-10-2006, 03:48 PM

I agree with you about the tires, definitely would need better ones for better handling/cornering. as for body roll/sway, i have an '06 3i, bone stock and i can take curves at about 60-65mph, depending. in AZ, there is a stretch of freeway that is winding, not real monstrous curves, but i can take them at about 80-85mph, without feeling like I am going to lose the car. Also, it seems like the suspension has alot of travel when it comes to hills, i do take some at about 75mph on s stretch of rural road and never once have i come off the ground, it sticks pretty well.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:14 AM

I dont have a problem with how it feels, but i know if i change the tires, lower it, the rear wont kick out so much when i take hairpin turns at 45, DONT TRY IT UNLESS YOU'RE NUTS

Old 03-14-2006, 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the posts... think I'll look into swaybars or other cheap mods. There is also the option of not driving like an idiot as well... . Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2006, 05:07 PM

The best and the most cheapest options for you is to STOP driving crazy, BUT on this little slick car try not to do that. Well I have a list of mods that will be done in the future only after the warranty expires, and if you care but still want improvement in handling the cheapest i would think is sway and tower bars, i don't think they will void your warranty, cause you not replacing with aftermarket you are adding it to your car, i don't see a problem with it. Its one of my plans on the list, but like others said, tires play a huge role here too. The stock 06' M3 has nice handling but not as good as i have experienced with H&R Sport Springs, Custom Tower bar and Rear tie bar with 215/35/18 Nitto Neogen tires on my 94' old Corolla, I still miss that handling, shocks ans struts were the same, but handling for the street and normal driving was suppa improved, Looking forward doing pretty much the same on this sweet car, defennetly getting lowering springs, If i had money would buy TEIN Lowering KIt to be able to control your ride height, but will go for a cheaper one. Eibach Proline or H&R Sport springs, Custom tower and rear bars, and the last at the time tires will need to be replaced i will for Nitto 205/45/17 tires or a package of wheels and tires 225/45/18.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:04 PM

You're going to want 225-40R18 tires to fit on a Mazda3. The 45 series are too tall (I tried)

Old 04-07-2006, 04:36 PM

ok thanks, i will keep it in mind, but this is only if i go for 18' wheels, with 17's i can go for 205/45/17? Hmm kinda doesn't make much sense because the stock one's are 205/50/17 if i am not wrong, might have to go for 205/40/17, kinda scared to do it, may bent one of my wheels driving with such low tire profile. F*** construction roads.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: naxxal

ok thanks, i will keep it in mind, but this is only if i go for 18' wheels, with 17's i can go for 205/45/17? Hmm kinda doesn't make much sense because the stock one's are 205/50/17 if i am not wrong, might have to go for 205/40/17, kinda scared to do it, may bent one of my wheels driving with such low tire profile. F*** construction roads.
You should want to maintain the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo. I'm running 225/45R17 on a 17x7 wheel. With the stock 6.5" wide wheel, I don't believe tire manufacturers suggest going wider than a 215 width.

You are correct that you would want the 40 series tire for the 18" wheel (225/40R18), this would maintain the overall diameter of the tire while decreasing the sidewall roughly 1/2" top & bottom (just the change in wheel size.)

Even with the stock sizes you run the risk of blow-outs. I hit a chunk of concrete a couple of weeks ago and destroyed my front right tire.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:22 PM

So the max you can fit on Mazda3 stock wheels is 215/45/17 tires, am i correct? this is only with the stock. Because i so, than most likely i will get new tires when i need to replace them instead of getting new wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: Concerned about loose suspension... possible mods.