Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Considering the Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Considering the Mazda 3

I'm also in the research phase of purchasing a new car, and while I can't discuss first hand about the reliability of Mazda's I can make a few good points. Reliablilty is only part of the equation, what you also need to look at is the cost of parts/labor. Would you rather have a car that needs to go to the garage twice a year and cost you $500, or a car that ends up in the garage once a year and costs you $2500? I learned this lesson with the VW I have now, the car is reliable but cost of ownership gets a failing grade. You'll also hear this from many VW owners.

In the case of Mzada and Honda I think you'll find the Mazda will win since first off, it is a reliable car even thought it may not be as reliableas a Honda. Mazda shares parts with Ford which is going to save tons of money when compared to Honda parts that are imported from Japan and slapped with taxes and tarrifs. Atleast this is what I've found from limited research. I'd recommendstopping bythe Mazda Service center and asking themfor quotes on repairs that you've had done to your Honda's for a comparison.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Thats a good point too and holds a lot of truth. I think after market companies do place a lot of consideration in who is selling the most cars...with the most potential. the regular 3 is an economy car, but with a lot of sporty features.I think it is interesting that you consider the cooper a sports car; although its an awesome track car (although Ive seen coopers time get killed by a 3 ). Me, I do not consider the cooper a true sports car, except maybe the john cooper works cars that come already loaded with different pullys heads, injectors, etc....But I guess you dont have to be a high performance 2 seater anymore to be considered a sports car....And you know thats another interesting trend I think..that is, just how much more manufactures are producing their own stuff and theres more each year-because their is a lot of $ to be made in that. I mean everyone builds their own aftermarket parts. Personally I think OEM may be better b/c the original engineering is there, and they built the car and know their car its their technology for the most part-and if one is considered bout warrnty yuor still straight. I've read / word of mouth is that Mazdaspeed plans to release CAI and exhasut for the MS3 in February and costs somewhere around 800 and 1500 for each part. Thats high compared to aftermarkets..but at least I know (and their are exceptions of course) that it works. But in the end....The best upgrade you can do to a car is the driver.....

Why the less MS3s the better? No good reason. Thats me being selfish....no kinda like I don't want the bitch next to me wearing the same outfit I have on at the club or whatever....

Freaking VWs....My first car was a 96 VW GTI... sold her for the golden 3 actually...I think VW is a different beast all togther.... but I hear ya... parts and labor can be pricey..but the only work I let a someone do to that GTI was a clutch replacement....

I dunno if mazda parts is cheaper because ford makes a lot of mazda parts ( i can tell you Ford made the wipers because they sucked right off the bat in my old 3) well at least not across the board-maybe with somethings. I never did a real comparison... But there is a lot honda factories in the states too-and there is a lot of stuff available for those cars at competitive prices. Frankly, like with all cars, I think if you take car of your ride then you ultimately determine the reliability of it-not who makes it.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:09 AM

I agree that if you take care of your car it will last longer. My Honda has lasted me 8 years. I will definately take care of the Mazda when I eventually get one. Once I do you might be getting more questions from me. From thesound of itthe oil change will take some getting used to. Thank you everyone for your input, it was very helpful.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 AM

I agree with you. Mazda cars is the best choice compared to other cars. Also when it comes to OEM parts, they have reliable and high performance Mazda OEM parts.