Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Dash Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Default Dash Cleaning

Quick question, what type of cleaner can i use for my dash, i tried to use armor-ALL and it came out all blotchy.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Default RE: Dash Cleaning

yea i noticed that too with armour all. but that was when i sprayed the stuff on. if you put it on a cloth and wipe it down it will make a much better finish then if you spray and wipe.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Armour-all BAAAADDDDDD. Wet (lint free) rag, good.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:20 PM

eya im wondering the same thing, but how bout something with a nice shine? wet lint free rag only cleans doesnt it?

Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Shine BaaDD. Clean, Gooood!!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Shine BaaDD. Clean, Gooood!!

lol is that an opinion or a fact? wats wrong with shine?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Personally I use a damp diaper. No not a disposible; but cloth. They are very soft won't scratch and almost lint free. In fact they work well when you wax your car and use it to buff out the wax.

Okay Okay I can hear the everyone laughing now and I am sure the jokes are coming, but give it a try.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:39 PM

Agree, for plain dust, a damp soft cloth. If you've got some gunk on your dash, incorporate asmall dab ofmild detergent (like dish soap). Have a soaplless damp cloth on handfor finishing.

Avoid doing in the sun, or when the dash is hot or very cold.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

You had to ask meTHAT question didn't ya'? Ya' had to ask.... (Ready for the long story?)

Back in "the" day, my day. The 1970's, I owned several Volvo 1800's. Do you know what they were? The car the (television)Saint drove? One of the few sport/grand touring cars that Volvo has EVER produced?
This is what I know about Armour-all, and for the recordI had used it before on several other cars I owned.
I used Armour-all, new and in it's hey-day then, on the dashboard of one of my 1800's. It looked good! Nice and new looking. Bright and shiny. Then I was driving home one day shortly after that and the sun was shining in the windshield. the glare from the instrument pod off the windshield, the very SAME design and angle as we all have in our 3's, was so bad I was blinded and couldn't see for a good deal of that ride.
When I got home, I did my best to clean it off and was largely successful and vowed to not use it again on that car.
Several months later, and BTW, just like some of the other cars I had used Armour-all on, the dashboard started to crack in several places. Keep in mind that the car I'm talking about was almost ten yrs old then and had had no such problem up to that point. Before long I had several completely through cracks, and spreading to a wide open stance.

Now, what I didn'tremind you of to this point is that in those days dashboards were "padded," and were usually made of expanded foamcovered in semi-soft vinyl. I had wondered why the dashboards in those other cars cracked after using Armour-all. But I was not very good at re-applying it on any regular basis either. I've heard that that is the trick to keeping that from happening, but have no personal proof either.
Anyway, back on track: We don't have that problem in the 3. However, having already seen this same scenario in my 3 (the sun reflecting off the instrument pod into the windshield and back to my eyes, ) I would highly recommend staying away from any product that makes the dashboard, or pod shiny.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1funride
Personally I use a damp diaper. No not a disposible; but cloth. They are very soft won't scratch and almost lint free. In fact they work well when you wax your car and use it to buff out the wax.

Okay Okay I can hear the everyone laughing now and I am sure the jokes are coming, but give it a try.
No joke, Man. That's a very old trick for waxing too. That's VERY good advice
My only question is: With so many disposables out there, where the HELL do you find cotton diapers anymore?

Quick Reply: Dash Cleaning