Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Dashboard symbol, what does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 02:08 PM
Default Dashboard symbol, what does it mean?

Just noticed a symbol that has appeared on the dashboard display. It sits to the right of the mpg reading in the centre of the speedometer and is a small white circle with a vertical line and a small amber coloured traingle to the left of the circle.
Anyone any idea what this might be, I can't see anything in the owners manual that looks like this?

The only thing I can see online that resembles the symbol is in the picture below (indicated by the red arrow).
Except I dont have the blue block to the left of the circle, I have an amber triangle.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:48 AM

I think it should be mentioned in the manual

Last edited by ganthercage; 01-28-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 AM

Well I've thumbed through the manual a few times and I can't see any mention of it which is why I thought I'd try here and see if anyone else knew.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:43 AM

Hi Blatto,
I have a Mazda3 2023 and have just noticed the same symbol on the speedometer display. It only appears when 'Driving Info' is displayed. I can't find it in the manual either. Mine has a red/amber symbol alongside it like you have.

Did you find out anything about it?

Old 05-07-2023, 03:19 PM

Hi, no, I still have no idea what the symbol means.
Seems a bit superfluous if it's just do signify you are on the info display as you'd already know that because of the info displayed

Old 05-09-2023, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blatto
Hi, no, I still have no idea what the symbol means.
Seems a bit superfluous if it's just do signify you are on the info display as you'd already know that because of the info displayed
Thanks for replying. Yeah, it's baffling, as I'm sure it's only just appeared - so I'm wondering if I switched something on, or off somewhere.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SteveDr
Thanks for replying. Yeah, it's baffling, as I'm sure it's only just appeared - so I'm wondering if I switched something on, or off somewhere.
Yes, I'm failry sure it just suddenly appeared for me after a few weeks of owning the vehicle. Would be nice to know what it's suposed to indicate.
You'd think the manual would include a description of every symbol displayed on the dash.

Many years ago I had a Citroen C4 and it suddenly started displaying a spanner symbol with the word HOTNoMitMo (exactly as I typed it there). I took it into a dealership in case it was something important but they couldn't find any reference to it.
Ended up writing to Citroen directly and they denied all knowledge of it too. Didn't seem to cause any Issues and it only came up a few times a month for about 5 minutes so I eneded up just ignoring it.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:24 AM
Default Same here - still baffled

I can only assume is is related to the driving info shown. If I change the display layout from Type 1 to Type 2 in settings, the icon still appears next to the Driving Info. Other than that I found nothing even using Google image search. As with you, the car was about 6 weeks old and had done around 2,000 miles before I became aware of it.
I'll put it it down to "just one of those things"

Old 05-15-2023, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Blatto
Just noticed a symbol that has appeared on the dashboard display. It sits to the right of the mpg reading in the centre of the speedometer and is a small white circle with a vertical line and a small amber coloured traingle to the left of the circle.
Anyone any idea what this might be, I can't see anything in the owners manual that looks like this?

The only thing I can see online that resembles the symbol is in the picture below (indicated by the red arrow).
Except I dont have the blue block to the left of the circle, I have an amber triangle.

I have been driving my new 2023 March delivery Mazda 3 Astina G25 for the last 5 weeks and have been trying to properly understand some of the contents of the "Owner's Manual' (Mazda 3). which was supplied to me by the salesman. Who then explained that if I had any problems I should address them to the Service Manager.
The manual contains 531 pages and would outdo a Boing 747 "Flight Control Manual" !!!!!!!!!!
There are many references to on-line Mazda documents your answer may be in one of them.
I personally have found the manual to be a load of confused and contradictory gobbledegook.
Many of the "programmable" commands available on the centre screen do not seem to work according to the
documents.
And there is no information on how the bloody cylinder de-activation works; And there is no indication of when this function has been activated on any of the displays!!!!!!
It maybe that this is what you are seeing, check your sped when it appears.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by nimbus
I have been driving my new 2023 March delivery Mazda 3 Astina G25 for the last 5 weeks and have been trying to properly understand some of the contents of the "Owner's Manual' (Mazda 3). which was supplied to me by the salesman. Who then explained that if I had any problems I should address them to the Service Manager.
The manual contains 531 pages and would outdo a Boing 747 "Flight Control Manual" !!!!!!!!!!
There are many references to on-line Mazda documents your answer may be in one of them.
I personally have found the manual to be a load of confused and contradictory gobbledegook.
Many of the "programmable" commands available on the centre screen do not seem to work according to the
documents.
And there is no information on how the bloody cylinder de-activation works; And there is no indication of when this function has been activated on any of the displays!!!!!!
It maybe that this is what you are seeing, check your sped when it appears.
I'm sure it's not anything to do with the cylinder deactivation as it appears constantly on the info screen now i.e. it's permanently displayed.

As far as I can tell the cylinder deactivation only occurs under very light loading on fairly flat and level roads where you are just barely breathing on the gas.