Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Do you guys like your 3s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Question Do you guys like your 3s?

i tried the CX-5 but not sure about it - not sure i really need an SUV anyway was considering trying the 3 - for the most part are you all happy with them?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM

we have a 2013 3 base. 2.0. i think it sucks. if you do get one, dont get the a/c, it is worthless. handles great, at the expense of ride. which is like a truck. so, if you like a truck ride, a STIFF truck ride, then you will be ok. if you do your own maintenance, you will be hard pressed to find a good jack point. i have to use one of the body jack points, there is nothing underneath to use. which is ok for oil change, since the plastic splash shield under the engine is designed to either be removed when accessing the filter(a major pain in the butt, since there aint no jack points) because if the nose of the car goes straight up, excess oil from the filter will drain into the splash shield-unless you jack the car from the left side, so it tilts to the right, then there is clearance to drain into a pan. oh, and the first time i tried to get the filter off, since i had no gorilla, i bought the special tool-which STILL didnt fit the filter. i finally just pounded it on, and then i was able to get it loose. oil filters should be installed with a light film of oil on the o ring seal, and hand tight, not 100 ft/lbs torque. noisy, marginal power, mpg only 27, mostly in town. our 15 year old millenia gets 21, and it will suck the doors off the 3, and the millenia a/c will freeze you out.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Ok from my perspective the 2011 3S has several points to place the sissor jack there is a small indentation along the railing before you get to wheel well or in the rear of the car about 8 in. In front of the rear tire. I even was able to raise both wheels off the ground in order to plastic dip them.
I am 63 learning to do mantainence on the car and for the oil change the splash shield has a hole cut out under the oil filter. Easy to reach with your hand and before I got ramps I would drive one side of the car up on a curb in order to fit under the car.
It is the ride harsh maybe if you never driven a small car like Tr7. NOT as soft as a Honda Accord or a Sonta. So my needs are more then met with the Mazda3S 2.5L

Last edited by GEEBOSS; 06-14-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by GEEBOSS
Ok from my perspective the 2011 3S has several points to place the sissor jach
k there is a small indentation along the railing before you get to wheel well or in the rear of the carabout 8 in. In front of the rear tire. I even was able to raise both wheels off the ground in order to plastic dip them.
I am 63 learning to do mantainence on the car and for the oil change the splash shield has a hole cut out bshield has a cut out under the oil filter. Easy to reach with your hand and before I got ramps I would drive got ramps I would drive one side of the car up on a curb in order to fit under the car.
It.
Is the ride harsh maybe if you never driven a small car like Tr7. NOT as soft as N Acv
s a Honda Accord or a Sonta. So my needs are more then met with the Mazda3S 2.5L
that small indentation is exactly what i use. i was referring to somewhere in the center of the car, underneath, where i could jack the car, then put jackstands where the jack points are(the indentations you are referring to are known as jack points, look in your owners manual). the hole cutout, on our car, is not exactly underneath the oil filter. if the filter is removed with the car level, the oil will hit the left side of the "hole". jacking the car from the left tilts the car to the right so that most of it gets by. as far as ride, i have owned several porsches and bmw's, and i used to autocross a lot. 323gtx with tokico suspension, vw rabbit gti with koni coilovers, galant vr4 with tein ha coilovers. i know what a stiff ride is, and the mazda 3 is stiff. reminds me a lot of my old bmw 2002 with sport bilsteins and suspension techniques springs. handled great, but rode like a truck. i am 69, been doing my own service on cars since i was 16. i will be glad when i return the mazda 3 back to the dealer

Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Thumbs up

underbody jack points for your racing jack

[imghttp://www.zoomsquared.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mazdaspeed3_underbody_jack_points.jpg/img]

Since you have no love for the Mazda 3 why not turn it in early. No reason to put yourself out with a car you don't like. I would have thought with your vast past experience with cars for auto X ing and especially the BMW 2002 that during your test drive of the Mazda3 the harsh ride would have been noticed. As far as AC this was never the Mazda3 strong point and researching on Mazda3 Forum sites would reveal this short coming.

Just wanted the OP to know that there are many who really like the Mazda 3 and there are those who would rather drive a Lexus is250.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Default I'll test drive one anyway

i'm used to rough riding i have a 2002 Civic. although it was nice for a while driving the CX-5 around and then the CRV that is sitting in my garage that is being sold this weekend. i can handle rough ride after being in pain from seats in that new honda it was horrible for me. i'll try out the 3 and 6 and the CX5 again. i just thought Mazda might be a good alternative now that i can't drive hondas any more disappointed in that!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM

the 3 has some good points, and some bad. my personal experience is what i posted. i looked into turning it in early, and costwise, it is not worth it. i use it for a beater so i can leave the nicer cars in the garage. for short trips, it is ok. since it is smaller, it is a bit easier to maneuver. for a trip more than about 15 miles, it sucks. we got it in january, when it was 30 deg. even my wife wont take it when it is hot out, she will drive one of the millenias because of the better a/c. and the test drive was short. there were 3 adults in the car, of course the ride sucked. anyone who gets one should take it for an extended test drive, over a route that they are very familiar with. like i said, it handles very well, at a cost of ride comfort. it would be ok for me like 30 years ago. a while ago, i had an 88 323gtx, the ride was way too soft, which affected the handling. i put tokico ditra shocks on, which siffened the car a lot. greatly improved the handling, but my wife then hated to ride in it. now i dont care about zipping thru traffic, since i no longer have to. i would rather have great a/c than a killer handling car. and, ours is a base 2.0, not a turbo. and that link dont work.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

2 strikes on you!

Here's what you want to do:
Click on symbol "" above the posting box and paste the url image link.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Default i had heard

that about the infotainment center but not too many complaints - mostly on the ones with navigation which i really don't want or need since i mostly just drive around town. All the reviews i've been reading seem pretty positive - i will try the Mazda 6 and give the CX5 another try too. it's strange looking at another make of car after owning a Honda for 12-1/2 years but after this experience i just had of having to sell the CRV after two months and losing $4K has left a bad taste in my mouth for now until they redesign the seats. they don't work for me they work for lots of folks though. the CX5 actually felt better to drive - not so lose of a steering wheel, etc. more responsive. just no arm rests LOL

Quick Reply: Do you guys like your 3s?