Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Do It Yourself Oil Change ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Default Do It Yourself Oil Change ?

Someone once told me that in order to change your oil yourself in a Maza 3 that you had to have a special tool. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Im wanting to start changing my oil myself because everywhere I go to have it changedthey keep giving me problem so i just wanted to check and see if I needed something special to change it. Thanks guys

Old 11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Do It Yourself Oil Change ?

The only special tool I can think of is a filter wrench for the casing of the cartridge filter...

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Icurrently use a soft strap wrench to remove the filter housing. But, I think investingin the tool, I've seen it for around $17 from Protege Garage if memory serves, is a good idea. I have also "installed" a hole in the slash shield to access the filter housing.
Other than that, nothing different than changing the oil in any other vehicle.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 PM

It depends which specific year and model you own. For my 2007 M3 w/2.0, the oil filter is "normal."

Challenge would be the car sits very low,to do ityourself youwould likely need jack stands or similar tocreate sufficient clearance toget under the engine.

I personally get it done at an oil change placeto, 1) Document that I am getting the changes frequent enough to protect warranty, and, 2)The cost of getting it done at a shopexceeds the cost of materials by less than $10, which is worth it to me tosave time -running to the store tobuy the oil and filter, andrecyclingthe old oil after your done.Also, if its really hot, or really cold out, I say let some other sucker do it. Plus, depending where you go, they'll sometimes throw in a tire rotation for free.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 AM

I prefer do my own Maintenance on all my vehicles, that way I control what gets put into the Crank Case, Transmission, when the tires get rotatedEct...... But I do have a Garage also.