Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

ECU Tuning Capability

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 06:24 PM
Default ECU Tuning Capability

Hello there! I own a 2006 Mazda 3 S hatch and was trying to find info on how "tunable" the ECU was or if it was even possible in my area. I live in California and I had a couple shops say they can't touch it because it's too new and for emissions purposes. If this is the case, what options does the Cali Mazda community have?

Old 03-08-2023, 10:21 AM

Most any ECU or I should say any ECU can be custom calibrated if there is a OBDII or CANbus connector and program to enter into the ECU cells.
California "LAWS" specifically prohibit any shop to alter exhaust systems or adjust anything that is emission related. So ya it will be hard to find any shop willing to risk a large fine and or closer and even a misdemeanor charge that could even carry with it time in jail.

The next thing although it iis not what you asked...what do you think or want to gain by calibrating your ECU? Have you done bolt of engine performance parts, are you tracking your Mazda, etc?
Generally, the ECU programs offered are "CANNED TUNES" and really increase power very little. Also, if it is normally aspirated engine, you are only going to see slight gains without spending money and upgrading your exhaust and head.
Some companies that offer a program and the access tool for the OBDII diagnostic connector into the ECU allows the user to do their own calibrating. BUT this DIY takes a lot or research to understand all the changes needed to be made when self-tunning and ECU. The average cells in a ECU that need adjusting range from 4-12 or more. And for more precises calibrating 20-30 cells. Lots of data logging to see that you are not harming the engine. Unfortunately, companies don't tell you custom calibrations takes hours to do, and that is why they offer canned tunes and make their profit selling the complete package that does not in most cases include more than 1-2 custom tunes for free.

Below is a short Data log of one ECU I was reviewing his data log to make adjustments. The cycle period was less than about 30 seconds. But you can see there are several area's that may have been needing adjusting. This particular engine took me about 2 hours to create 4 files for testing.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The next thing although it iis not what you asked...what do you think or want to gain by calibrating your ECU? Have you done bolt of engine performance parts, are you tracking your Mazda, etc?
I want to gain whatever I can. From what I was able to read, the 2.3L can't take much more than 185 bhp before it begins becoming a reliability issue. At the moment, it has no bolt-ons and I have a little bit before I start installing power-related mods on it, but the most I can do really is a K&N CAI (which won't really provide much from what I've read also), a cat-back Borla exhaust, a ported TB and maybe an intake manifold if I can find one that's CARB Compliant. So while the tune wouldn't give me much, I was hopeful that I could get something out of it with the restrictions I have; get as close to that marker as possible.

In regards to Canned Tunes, I wouldn't mind using that, as long as I actually can get it in Cali. I was just looking for alternatives. Thanks for getting back to me with this, I appreciate it!

Old 03-08-2023, 04:50 PM
tcl

Originally Posted by SirLuci_Alpine
I want to gain whatever I can. From what I was able to read, the 2.3L can't take much more than 185 bhp before it begins becoming a reliability issue. At the moment, it has no bolt-ons and I have a little bit before I start installing power-related mods on it, but the most I can do really is a K&N CAI (which won't really provide much from what I've read also), a cat-back Borla exhaust, a ported TB and maybe an intake manifold if I can find one that's CARB Compliant. So while the tune wouldn't give me much, I was hopeful that I could get something out of it with the restrictions I have; get as close to that marker as possible.

In regards to Canned Tunes, I wouldn't mind using that, as long as I actually can get it in Cali. I was just looking for alternatives. Thanks for getting back to me with this, I appreciate it!
You'll be better off if you just leave it alone.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tcl
You'll be better off if you just leave it alone.
wow!??
Part of moddng is the fun in owning a car that you feel good about and want to change things to the personal tastes or interest.

My time responding in length on this thread was to give ideas and thoughts to evaluate perhaps a better course to choose what parts and their possible outcome. Not to discourage any aspect of upgrading at all.
There are some things that are just fun to do and even if they don't harm the engine or produce the outcome desired installing them is part of the adventure.

Last edited by Callisto; 03-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SirLuci_Alpine
Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox
it's a little bit risky to go that high

Last edited by ganthercage; 03-12-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:20 AM
tcl

Again, I would leave it alone. It is a 17 year old car, and if you need it for basic transportation it'll be much more reliable.
Everyone wants to go fast or make it look fast. Make sure it stops fast first!

Old 03-12-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by tcl
Again, I would leave it alone. It is a 17 year old car, and if you need it for basic transportation it'll be much more reliable.
Everyone wants to go fast or make it look fast. Make sure it stops fast first!
Well that you! And that answer is not what he asked. Maybe you should point out a empirical reason behind your personal comment ? Sme of us on the other hand tend to upgrade even our older cars. i.e. like my 1957 Chevy or my 2002 MINI Cooper S and even my 2018 Mazda 3. I guess by your standards they are are to old? Sucks to be you if all a vehicle is for transportation only?
This is not only a forum for asking service question's chatting about our Mazda but also asking how to upgrade them in all aspects. So really if you don't have a thought about what the member asked about why keep saying "if it were you"? I am sure that you have done some modification beyond the MAZDA you purchased? Now lets check them tires ,floor mats,seat covers, even car scents etc and see if they are all factory Mazda on your Mazda?

Old 03-12-2023, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ganthercage
it's a little bit risky to go that high
Exactly what do you base this on? You do know that engines from the top auto manufactures can safely handle starting at *15% sometimes 20% with no problems. And if done correctly even more? It is generally the running gear like differentials and transmission that have the problem handling increased torque output of an engine.
*Keep in mind that this engine currently be talked about is a normally aspirated not boosted with a Super Charger or Turbocharger.

I might add that the member really has no idea what his engine health is in, nor does he have a baseline Dyno test to know what his specific engine is producing power wise. Surprisingly Mazda Dyno tests revile different power rating then what they claim.

BTW this thread specifically titled ECU Tuning Capability
So one could say that doing a custom ECU calibration could bring a more reliable power curve with increased advantages in MPG, engine torque, lower emissions and higher HP ?
You may want to read from the beginning of this thread again all the responses?

Last edited by Callisto; 03-12-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:05 AM
tcl

No modifications and yes all of the interior is stock including the all weather Mazda floor mats . It's a daily driver 2017 GT hatchback.
Even the replacement brake pads are genuine Mazda. Oh, and no air fresheners or extra gages either.
Just saying OP sounds like a nice young guy, and I'm much older, so it's just a few words of wisdom that's all.
Enjoy...

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Capability