Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Default RE: engine ?

like sstlaure said it all depends, the headers your looking to purchase will fit but might end up throwing a check engine light. some internals are compatable with each other, i know that the vavles, valve springs and guides are the same.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:34 PM

depends on the part...

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM

I don't think you're going to geta blanket statement out of anyone here.....and anyone that does give a blanket statement doesn't know what they are talking about....

Do your research, call & talk to the people at the shops where you are buying the parts from, talk to multiple shops to see if the information you are getting is consistent. Some people will tell you anything to make a sale. I would avoid eBay and there is WAY too much counterfeit product out there....Make sure to go through a reputable certified dealer for any aftermarket parts you buy.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:54 PM

wee what i can throw in there.

the 2.0 and 2.3 block are the same pieces essentially, so anything that bolts to the block on one WILL bolt to the block on the other. so your header should not be an issue, but if it is designed for the 2.3 you will see different gains in different parts of the powerband....typically won't peak as high as what is claimed for the 2.3 obviously.

the 2.0, from my understanding DOES NOT have the VTCS system in the intake manifold that the 2.3 does, so the manifold might be a different piece, meaning placement of the intake might be a bit off? again, i don't know, i have a mazda6, so things are different. but if the intake, in stock form, bolts up in the exact same place as the 2.3....then you will be fine on the 2.0.

exaust...yeah, your fine

but i'll say it again, if parts are listed for the 2.3, testing was done on the 2.3, not the 2.0. so any performance gains or graphs provided by those companies would not be seen on your 2.0.

and for the record, it's not a single bit easier to turbo the 2.0 over the 2.3...in fact, it's the same thing with different tuning. top HiBoost 2.0 is at i think 520hp while the 2.3 is at 570hp....displacement will always be king if tuning is done right

Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

MrTea, I wasn't saying that you could get more power out of the 2.0 with a turbo kit. My point was that the stroke in the 2.0 is shorter, and with less distance to travel the turbo doesn't put nearly as much stress on the engine. Basically you can get a lot more out of the stock engine/internals than you could in the 2.3 before it blew.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:39 PM

it's been posted elsewhere that is is "easier" to boost the 2.0 than the 2.3. for most people asking the question, it makes it sound like the project is easier....it's not, is all i want people to understand.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 PM

well i bought an intake for my 2.0 but it was listed for the 2.3 and it works just fine