Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Cut the blue wire... no red!

Under warranty or not they are still gonna get paid. They would just charge it back to the big HQ in Japan. If the odo didn't move I'd be talking to the service manager or big boss man at the dealership since you've flat out been lied to.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Brought the car in this morning and got a call back telling me they think the noise has something to do with the fuel injector and they are going to replace it, but the noise will still be there, but not as loud. Anyone know if this might be true, that the fuel injector could cause a ticking noise on acceleration? I suggested the idea of the lifter, they said that would cause a different noise.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 AM

injectors always make a ticking sound but never loud enough to for it to audioable of an engine, he pretty much said it himself, first ask them why its making that sound or why its that loud, if he says that its because its not delivering enough fuel then hes full of it. If that was the case then you would have also said that the cars runs rough/misfire/cel/studdering. We dont have lifters, but it wouldnt surprise me if the oil pressure is lacking in the cylinder head, i wouldnt go so far as to let them do a pressure test but they really cant pinpoint anything unless there using a stethoscope (which i kinda doubt). O i just thought if a good idea, ask them for the current repair order, look at all (if any) services they have preformed to determine how they came to the conclusion that your injectors are the source of noise.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM

the one thing I do to the car is get oil changes. The guy told me his gf's car had a similar problem and was fixed after replacing the injectors. I think he was full of it when he told me that. With some research, I read that the lifters are the cause, but since you said the car doesn't have them, I don't know now. Hopefully the replacements will be an improvement.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:55 AM

Got car back yesterday. The tech said he changed the drivebelt tensioner. The service advisor told me the noises is gone. Drove 5 miles home and the noise is still there. Before, the ticking happens on acceleration only. Now in idle, the car is louder with the changes. Called the local Mazda and they want to take my car out for a road test. Twice already they told me they took it out, but the mileage remained the same when I dropped off the car. At least I got a free oil change out of them. Pissing me off!!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM

And the other thing I hate is, when I try to contact Mazda corporate, they are no help either, it's a frickin conspiracy!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM

now waiting for them to order some part, say they will call me when it is in. Claim they are going to change another belt and see if that helps. If it was just some engine noise, I would let it go, but it sounds like loose metal rattling now, at least in MHO.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM

heh, if you have a GOOD video camera try to get a sample of the noise and try to aim it where you think its coming from, i can only help so much w/o actually being there.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 PM

I had the same noise in the same area. I suspected valves. Took a couple of dealer tries to get them to hear it. The last time I brought it at night so I could have a cold start in the am. Turned out to be the a/c belt. Go figure. Hear's the kicker, I asked a mechanic to listen to it before hand, he said sounds like the belt. He works on rigs. Go figure again.

I had brough the service manager out to listen. It would not do it on idle. I say ok. Then as he started walking away, he heard it. I mentioned the belt, they ordered, put on. And, voila.

I will put 10 cents down, it's the a/c belt.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 PM

well it took long enough heh, hope thats the only thing that is causing the problem *knocks on wood*, but they should find out why the belt went bad so soon like if the belt tensioner is too tight, bearings w/e.

Quick Reply: Engine noise