Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Engine oil 5-50 w sn

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Default Engine oil 5-50 w sn

Spoiler

For Mazda 3 2011 2.0 AT in the vehicle manual, the engine oil required for the Mazda is 5-30w sm or 10-40 w sn.

The air temperature in our city is 20 ° C in winter and 46 ° C in summer.(iran)

Is the use of engine oil with a viscosity of 5-50w sn suitable for this temperature.

If not, what the viscosity of the oil should be??

The machine was running 7000 kilometers and the previous oil had a viscosity of 10-40 w sn .

Now I want to replace the oil or use the oil with a viscosity of 5-50w sn .

I replaced the engine oil and the oil with a viscosity of 5-50 sn and With this

engine oil gone500 km I have to change the oil again or not???

Is this type of oil harmful?5-50w sn for mazda
?

PLEASE HELLP ME

THANKS

Last edited by mehdi727; 02-22-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:49 AM

Way too heavy. I would use either a 0W-30 or a 0W-40, both synthetic.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:17 PM

The" W" means "WINTER" not weight which is often a misused word when disusing engine oils. When engine oil is hot a 0w20 will pour the same rate as a 20w50,

Looking at suppliers of engine oil regarding your ambient and questions it would appear your choices seems to fit the use charts .

The Mazda recomend oil viscosity has exception in some operating conditions and your is one of the exceptions.

It would seem that you ambient operations for your MAZDA 5w-50 would be acceptable. Naturally you can contact both MAZDA and any of the world distributed refined engine oil suppliers technical departments and ask them.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
The" W" means "WINTER" not weight which is often a misused word when disusing engine oils. When engine oil is hot a 0w20 will pour the same rate as a 20w50,
Are you saying you think 0W-20 and 20W-50 have the same viscosity at say, 100°C? If so, please provide references to support that. I would argue hot 20W-50 will be many times thicker at 100°C compared to 0W-20 at the same temperature.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:17 AM

I didn't say that at all.
I am not going to argue with you > Do your own research on the subject or contact a engine oil refiner and talk to their technical department as I responded. Once again show them what I said and post what they say about it if you think my response is inaccurate!

I clearly mentioned that the OP asking about what oil he wanted to use in his engine, the recommendation for viscosity charts for the ambient he operates his car in. I suggest you go re-read my response again.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 PM

I replaced the previous oil and poured the oil 5w-40 into the engine.
the vehicle manual, the engine oil required for the Mazda is 5-30w sm or 10-40 w sn.
This engine oil 5w-40 is in between these two viscosities. I contacted two oil companies to say that oil is good for your city.5w40 sn Do you think this engine oil is suitable?
My driving is normal. I do not race and the ambient temperature is not always above 40 degrees.
It is stated in the manual that use quality (sm) motor oil or that it is motor oil (sn) harmful to use oil.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Here's the thing about multi grade oils, as long as the first number (the "W" number) is as low as, or lower, than the specification, you can use it. Said another way, if 10W-40 is the spec, then you can use that, or 5W-40 or 0W-40. I would argue the 0W-40 is the best of the group not only because it starts with the highest quality base oil (always synthetic), but also because it flows better following a cold start, even if the "cold start" is on a hot day.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:45 AM

When caught posting inaccurate or wrong information , learn from something and move on. Call the "W" for what it is?. WINTER BLEND or just WINTER for short. LOL

The suggestion about how to choose engine oil is based on the "W" winter blend is just bad. The response I just read is even less then technically sound for one reason, among many, most vehicle manufacture generally will say "recommend" oil use. Very few times can you find the word "REQUIRED" when it comes to engine oils from manufactures.

When there is at least a reasonable doubt about empirical information contact an engine oil refiner or distributor and find out the facts before spreading more poorly concocted information on a forum?

Old 02-27-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
When caught posting inaccurate or wrong information , learn from something and move on. Call the "W" for what it is?. WINTER BLEND or just WINTER for short. LOL

The suggestion about how to choose engine oil is based on the "W" winter blend is just bad. The response I just read is even less then technically sound for one reason, among many, most vehicle manufacture generally will say "recommend" oil use. Very few times can you find the word "REQUIRED" when it comes to engine oils from manufactures.

When there is at least a reasonable doubt about empirical information contact an engine oil refiner or distributor and find out the facts before spreading more poorly concocted information on a forum?
Like you confirmed yesterday, clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
So you're saying you have no idea what you're talking about. Got it.
LOL I will let other member judge that for themselves......

Quick Reply: Engine oil 5-50 w sn