Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Exhaust: HKS OR Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Default Exhaust: HKS OR Magnaflow

Disclaimer: I dont know too much about car tearms, but just bear with me.

I was listening on youtube to the sound ofboth the HKS Hi-Powerand the magnaflow, and have been doing some research. I was wondering if anyone on this forum owns a magnaflow or a HKS exhaust and can tell me what they think of it. I have never heard them in real life and I don't want to trust a youtube video because I'm sure there are other car components like the CAIthat makes it sound a certain way. Anyway, if you guys can give me some feedback that would be great.I'm thinking about justordering magnaflow because I'm more comfortable with the nameandlook of it installed on the car through the videos so, but what do you guys think?

are there any like major HP differences in either one?

It is either this or re do my piping for my exhaust and pay like 75 dollars, but I'd rather just buy a whole new exhaust.

BTW Ipreferably like the deepersound of the magnaflow better, but what do you guys think.

But after reading about the HKS it is made for turbocharged and N/A and has different piping, as said on the website.

so i'm kinda stuck. in addition,i wasn't able to find out anything about the magnaflow specs so i'm kinda SOL there. ( only because they don't have anything on their website) and i've looked at other posts as well. =/

Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Default RE: Exhaust: HKS OR Magnaflow

I owned a magnaflow exhaust (2.25 inches in diameter - twin tips) on my 94 Jetta VR6 - sounded beautiful - i miss it dearly sometimes. In my opinion, Magnaflow manages to keep cars with smaller engines from sounding like a little ricer. I have never heard the magnaflow on a Mazda3, but I have heard it on a Civic SI and was actually suprised at how it didn't drone on the highway and the lower tone it made, even with a smaller 4 cylinder engine.

With a 2.5 + inch exhaust, it is not uncommon to have highway drone as you cruise along - this is one of the reasons I got the 2.25 inch magnaflow (nothing like a long car ride to make you hate your droning exhaust system)

Another thing to note, is that in a heads up test in Eurotuner magazine between 5 - 6 different exhaust systems for my VR6, the 2.25 inch magnaflow exhaust actually made more horsepower and torque than the larger 2.5 + inch diameter exhausts on the naturally aspirated motor (non turbo/supercharger). Magnaflow knows what they're doing - theyre a solid company.

Here is a link to Magnaflow's website. It shows the exhaust, sound clips and also the dyno sheet. It is showing that it makes 6 hp / 6 ft lbs of torque. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...rt&id=1333

[IMG]local://upfiles/2336/5ADD463D960B4910A5570B605A02912A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2336/C8DEEE82001549B089BA3CCF3641A834.jpg[/IMG]

...here is what the exhaust will probably look like. for me, all i decided to do was cut the boring tip off my exhaust and buy the 4 inch SS tip that comes with the magnaflow exhaust. I appreciate the quiet side of things more now - so I just went for the look instead of the sound.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM

wow, Looks like imsticking to a magnaflow exhaust lol. Thanks again. LOL, after trying to research what car droning is, i finally found it out on dictionary.com. Finding out what droning can do to your car is something that has sealed my deal with a magnaflow. Since you had the magnaflow, is it possible to just buy an extra tip and put that on the 2.25 exhaust. I read up on the website that the tips won't add any performance, but i'm guessing that it couldchangesince it has a bigger tip onaftermarket exhaust.

I've been trying to find out if it is possible. On the website it doesn't label that it is an interchangeable tip but maybe it can be done? i dont know. If not i'd still be happy as long as i dont have the drone, but from hearing what you said makes me wonder about cutting the tip of the aftermarket exhaust and putting a new one.

let me know if that is even possible.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 PM

but then in addition im guessing that would void the warranty lol

Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM

im pretty positive you wont be voiding any warranties if you buy a new exhaust system.

if you did order the magnaflow exhaust, i am pretty sure the tip that they are showing is welded onto the unit, which means if you dont like that tip, you would have to have it cut off of the piping, then you would have to have another tip welded on.

as for the drone - what makes the car drone is the piping, not the size of the tip. tips will add absolutely no power and will have no bearing on the sound - its just for the look. I cut my stock Mazda3 exhaust and welded on the new tip. Quiet stock exhaust...yet looks like i have an exhaust system...best of both worlds I'd say.

I don't really think its necessary to spend 500 bucks on something that makes a bunch of noise and only gives you 6 hp and 6 tq...I was 17-19 when i went through that phase of making noise...im 21 now..i'm trying to be more professional for the work world and I dont know, pulling up to a building, making all sorts of noise doesn't really appeal to me anymore. (my girlfriend hated my car too) I like to focus on handling and the shifting components of my car since I want it to be a comfortable daily driver that can kill people in turns.

Personally, i dont see a reason to hack off a perfectly good exhaust with no rust or anything, just to spend more money and pick up a little gain. All personal preferences.

If you want to do what I did...keep the stock exhaust and weld on a tip...you can get the tip i got for somewhere around 50-60 bucks I think, and you can take it to a muffler shop (meineke, midas) and ask them how much it would cost to weld it on. If you want more info on something like that, let me know and i'll give you specifics.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:21 PM

i say go for a custom exhaust its cheaper, that way you won't say "dam i spend 500$ just to gain 5hp and nice sound" when you can get both for around 300-350 and spend the other 200 on a CAI or if you already have it spend it on a SS, but thats just me.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM

just got my exhaust for $315 at local muffler shop. Cat back with Magnaflow. Sounds very nice. Now waiting for the CAI to come in along with the stereo system.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Hi ppl..... I'm new to this forum and I'm from the gta and I recently got a Mazda 3 2.3 hatch.... Just recently drop a K&N cai on it and now I'm looking. For a exhaust ... Either HKS or GREDDY.. any one know where I can get one with a decent price ...and will 225 45 17 fit on my stock 205 50 17 ?? Plz give me some feed back .. That would be much appreciated ....