Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Factory Radio w/ Sub Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Default Factory Radio w/ Sub Installation

I am trying to install the Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub while keeping my factory 6-disc changer. I've been able to tap into the R-speakers for sound, but I am not able to figure out the correct power connection. Has anyone ever done this installation? And does anyone have the mapping for the factory harness? What color is for the power source to the radio? And what is a power control terminal. Please help!!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Default RE: Factory Radio w/ Sub Installation

I have a 10" MTX sub and amp installed with the 6 disc changer, but had it done professionaly. I can tell you that they connected the sub to the front door speakers though, not the rears. As for power source, I have no idea?? Good luck!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Cool thanks. After a day of frustration I think a professional is a good idea.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't you just be pulling power off of the battery, just like if you were running a separate amp and sub instead of the powered sub? What do the instructions with the kenwood say?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:24 PM

The instructions have one wire (yellow) going to the battery and one wire (blue) going to the power control terminal(?) or connect it to the accessory line. That's what has me confused. If the yellow one goes to the battery(will that cause a short if it is a direct connection?) where does the blue one go? The instructions have both wires going to the head unit. But I think Kenwood may not have accounted for a factory unit when they made these instructions. I don't mind tapping into the factory harness, but without knowing which wires do what I don't want to possibly fry the electrical system.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../113KSCSW1.PDF

PDF of the instructions.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:07 PM

Looks like from PDF instruction that the Blue/White wire is just going to a switched voltage source. With key on or at Acc then wire should get power. Ignition key off then no power. The instructions have you do this so the Amp will power down when you turn the car off and not drain your battery. If you have just the standard audio or Bose without Navigation and you want to tap into harness for the audio unit then tap into the Yellow wire. It is the switched or control terminal for the audio system. Otherwise you can tap into any source that only gets power when the key is on.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 PM

Thanks!! I will try it tomorrow. I will post the results then.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 AM

BabyHuey is correct. The blue wire is a remote turn on lead. It basically lets the amp know when to be on. That being said, you could also run the blue wire of the battery terminal and install a "kill switch" in or around your dash. This will allow you to turn the amp on and off whenever you want (Like when our sittign next to a cop at a red light). The key is remembering to turn it off.

I would still splice it from the back of the HU and add the killswitch for those "other" purposes. PM me if you have any questions.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:51 PM

IT WORKS!!! Nice bit of bass added to the factory system. Thank you one and all. I really appreciate all your help. You guys saved me some change and my car is still in one piece. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Factory Radio w/ Sub Installation