Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Fronts or Backs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Default RE: Fronts or Backs

I wouldn't run a 2-ohm speaker with the stock HU. You're just putting more stress on the HU. No if you want to get an amp and run a 2-ohm speaker fine. But running an 2-ohm load on the stock HU could cause problems.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks.
Everyone is talking about using a 2-way or 3-way speaker. What about a component speaker setup up front instead of a 2-way and a seperate?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Most 3's come with comps up front. So I'd just change those with some better comps. And I'd strongly back getting an amp for them.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Would you put in an amp first or put in new speakers first? I didn't really want to go the amp route just yet but if new speakers wouldn't be worth it till an amp, then I might rethink that idea.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:38 PM

2 ohm would put too much load on the stock unit...eventually your sound will get distorted over time since the stock unit is for 4 ohm. you usually change the head unit FIRST but if not then yea you get an amp and speakers and get the job done. ...i think you will be satisfied for a while after you change the stock speakers...i know i am and i only changed the back i get solid bass now and everything is a lot clearer than before. you can get component speaker if you want but to save money i'd just stick in some 3 way speakers, look at some infinity kappa perfect series speakers...well worth it.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Cool. I asked Infinity about those and this is what they said.

"Our 2 ohm speakers would work fine on 4 ohm systems. However, the issue is the power of your system. Stock head units barely put out 5 watts to 35 watts of power at best. The Kappa682.7CF is rated at 100 watts. Your stock system wouldn't have enough power to run the speakers effectively.
When used as a factory replacement speaker, the two-ohm nominal impedance of the speaker provides a four-ohm impedance to the radio.
It would be okay if you do not turn the volume up consistently. It may cause the amp to clip, which in turn will cause distortion and eventually blow the speakers. You would be better off using the Reference series for your stock head unit."

Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM

You have multiple routes.

1. Change out your current speakers for low rms coaxial speakers. Run them off the OEM HU. With the possibility of amping them later.

2. Get Comps up front and Coaxials in the rear. Run them off the OEM HU. Make sure the comps are high in eff. rating.

3. Get Compsto be powered by a2 channel amp and leave the rear OEM or Coaxial speakers powerd by the OEM HU.

4.Get Comps and 6.5 mid-bass speakers run them off a 4 channel amp.

5. Same as #4 just with an aftermarket HU.

There are even more options than this just depends on your budget and the sound your looking for. In my opinion I've enjoyed #5 the most. Some people though are completely against rear fill. So the choice is up to you.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Jeez, David!! You're really making a showing here lately.Upto 29 posts... and in only 2yrs/4ms too!!(You had to KNOW that it was a moral imperative to get you back for that comment on M3F CTCh 2.0, didn't you?)
Good Job, Man!! And thanks foryour knowledgeable input/information too.