Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

GAS MILEAGE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Default RE: GAS MILEAGE

I have a 2.3L w/ a manual and my gas mileage isnt all that great. I do about 2/3 freeway and I am getting 26MPG MAX (going only 65 on freeway). I am using my trip computer on my GT so its most likely pretty accurate. I have found if I am a little spunky in my driving, my gas mileage drops down to about 22 MPG. I tried 91 octance for two tanks, but I found no noticeable change in performace or gas mileage. I have found that finding alternative routes home that have 50mph limits with few lights really increase my mpg.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 AM

weird i moved to another house and i have to drive up the hill and down and up the hills to get to my house.. i did notice a change in mpg because of the hills and stuff... but i am learning how to use my manual shift.. i dink that would definitely help me save some gas if i learn how to shift while driving on hills... also i started my car with 91 octane but then switch down to 89 and then to 87. i did notice some change wheni was using 87, mpg seem to be lesser than 89 so i switched back to 89. anyways the new place that i moved to i get about 300 so do the math 300/ how many gallons again? dang... how can i better my gas mielage? what can i use to make it more gas efficeint?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM

what can i use to make it more gas efficeint?

Your bicycle

Just kidding.

Steady speeds. No jack rabbit starts. Stay as close to 60 mph on the highway as you can get away with.

I turn about 7.8 lts per 100kms. 2.0 Auto and 30\70 split city/highway driving.

Above all else, avoid idling.

But we all know that.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM

yeah thanks for hte info but i knew that already... i drove 80 mpg and i still get about 320 before.. don't know if it's the gas octane or what not.. maybe my airflow and gas mixture is bad? as in i might need something to clean the system? where's virgin1 at?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Present and accounted for...
To me, 320 for 10-12 gals is good mileage.(26.667-32mpg) Even w/my heavy foot to speed (i.e. I like to accelerate and get away fast but only up to 5mph over the limit) I'm getting 26-28 on 87 oct W/the A/C on most of the time.
I wouldn't complain.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 AM

there you are virgin1. lol so, as for accelerate and pass... i love doing that too but i been babying my car, so i dink the wear in for the engine kinda screwed up my acceleration perhaps?

also, this is kind of an off topic, but i want to use the manual transaxle for my auto car.. like i have a MST3 and i have the manual sport shift funciton. and when i go home after getting off the freeway, tehre are alot of hills. how do i exactly use them manual? i read the manual but i still don't quite understand the instruction. perhaps you have the knowledge to answer my question?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM

question
when the fuel light comes on in my 3, how much will I have left 2 - 3 gallons?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Asked and answered.
Yes, 2~3 gals.I find I have to add around 11.5 gals (14.5 - 11.5 = 3gals.) if I fill up right away. But that's not a reserve, at least not one to be used in anything but a real emergency.
There's a verygood reason for there being so much fuel left in the tank.A veryexpensive electricfuel pump lives in that tankand relies on that fuel to keep it running cool and from burning up.
You wouldn't drive the car w/o coolant in the radiator would you?Do yourself a favor andadd or fill up ASAP when that light comes on.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Si. That is correct. The fan speed matters not. The compressor will cycle based onwhere the temperature dial is set. That is what determines how much power/mileage the A/C robs from the engine.

Last I knew, the compressor in automotive A/C is either on or off. It can cycle if the low pressure side (freon sucking into the compressor) goes too low because there is too little freon in the system (could wreck the compressor). This will happen more at low temps or low fan speeds, but having the compressor cycle on and off is not something you want to happen a lot. If the climate control thermostat calls for "less cooling",the systemjust adds some heat instead of stopping the compressor.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Check this out. I know most are american but, here goes. I drove up North. Average speed was 90 kph with the cruise. I was getting 6.6 per 100 kph on this tank. I drove about 680 kms. Then the light came on. I was 1 digit away from E. I was going to push it further, but then I wimped out and got some gas. I figure I got about 700 kms on 46 or 48 litres of gas. Not bad. So, the best speed for milage is around 90. Like everything else on the road. I am sure I could get better if it was straight driving with a full tank. 120 of those kms were from driving back and forth to work doing 105 kph.
I need a long trip, say like Texis. V1, what do you think

Quick Reply: GAS MILEAGE