Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Good Year stock tires sux in the snow..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Default Good Year stock tires sux in the snow..HELP

I need to get these suckyears off my car and get a GOOD set of all season tires.
Good in the snow!!
Any advise??

thanks

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Default RE: Good Year stock tires sux in the snow..HELP

I yanked the Goodyear Eagle RS-As off of my Mazda3 after only 714 miles and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. This weekend we had 29" of snow and through the storms, I had to shuttle my son to the local ski hill a couple of times (about 100 miles each trip) as well as running some basic errands. The Michelins performed extremely well throughout.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: shipo

I yanked the Goodyear Eagle RS-As off of my Mazda3 after only 714 miles and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. This weekend we had 29" of snow and through the storms, I had to shuttle my son to the local ski hill a couple of times (about 100 miles each trip) as well as running some basic errands. The Michelins performed extremely well throughout.
Thanks Will have to look those up.....How much you pay?

Went on Tire rack and found that Dunlop SP Sport Signatures had really goos ratings in the snow.
Anyone have these tires??

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM

I got them from TireRack for $120 per, however, they were a "Closeout Special" (they have been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus). I considered the Dunlops, however, some folks on a different Mazda board had some quality issues that required getting the tires replaced, and I do not have time to mess with that so I opted for the Michelins. One thing I overlooked when I bought my tires was the Nokian line of all-seasons. Checking their web site, I see that they have both the WR and WRG2 available in the 205/50 R17 size that came on my car. You might want to check them out, I have readgreat reviews from almost everybody who runs them.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM

will do
thx

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Why not get snow/ice tires?I bought Michelin x ice,and winter is all the more fun for having them.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: mazdadreamz

Why not get snow/ice tires?I bought Michelin x ice,and winter is all the more fun for having them.
Having run several sets of winter tires (the Michelin X-Ice among them) on various cars, my take on it is that when the roads dry out, the "fun" stops. I'm thinking that with the exception of my RWD cars, winter is more "fun" with a set of good All-Season tires.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Lev

I have Nokian WR's. I LOVE them. I was drinvg in the snow just for the fun of it. I was Passing people. I was going about 60mph and still felt in control. I can't wait for another descent amount of snow so i can plow through it. They perform well in dry and wet weather. They don't have the quick responses as a performance tire, but that is expected. We had freezing rain last night and the roads were nothing but a sheet of ice. I was more careful and the car always stayed on course. The WR's are dicontinued, so you would have to get the WRg2. They are pricey at 180 a tire, but it is well worth it. They last longer than the performance tire too. I've had them for 6 months and take corners hard, and there is little wear on them.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Yup, we had the ice on the roads here in lower New Hampshire this morning as well. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my Mazda3 didn't skip a beat all of the way to work (nearly 40 miles), in spite of the fact that I have several 10%+ grades to climb (one from a standing start). I rather doubt that the Michelins have the foul weather grip of the Nokians, however, they're no slouch in slippery conditions, and very-very tenacious when the roads are dry.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM

I put a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires on my Speed3, and they perform excellent on dry, cold roads. Their grip is fantastic on dry and they move through snow without a problem. I'd definitely buy these again.

Thanks,