Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Great Performance Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Banned

No body in there there right mind is going to to a before and after video for just 1 product due to the fact that it will cost an extra $200. Again, why are you a non-beilever and basically saying K&N is lying or any header manufacturer. These have been around for many years proven themselves with staying power.
Some good examples: BIG AL DJ's Mazda 6 3.0 Automatic DYNO Video - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Read the 2nd post with his reference to Crossbow (who has 11,741 posts) who talks about exhaust sizing & velocity (and refers to with links).
2006 Stock MTX, V6 DYNO'd - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Many people talking about and posting Mazda 6 DYNO's. And confirming that a stock automatic V6 makes around 160 HP @ wheels according to that same K&N chart @ 6200 rpm in 3rd gear see posts past #25. Also here you will find some DYNO sheets. It is hard doing a DYNO run with an automatic as you cannot easily floor it in 3rd gear without it downshifting, so lower to mid rpm power is lower.
This is real life situations.
Again, different cars have different designs. The Mazda 6 stock intake is not great as I have already told you. The car in the links has a poor exhaust design (like mine, that's why I changed it) that benefits greatly from a simple re-design, not even headers.

However, for Headers to properly work you must get rid of your pre-cats.

The engine gets rid of exhaust gasses in the exhaust stroke. Back pressure is one of the most common ways that an engine can lose some power. The piston is used to push the waste gasses out through the exhaust valve. This creates a problem if there is any resistance, power will be wasted because the piston has to push harder to get rid of the waste gasses.
In a standard car the exhaust gasses will enter the exhaust manifold after leaving the cylinders. The manifold is one of the biggest sources of back pressure caused by the pressure of exhaust gasses building up and affecting wasting energy.
An exhaust header is a bolt on accessory which is used to get rid of the back pressure caused by the manifold. This means that the exhaust gasses from each cylinder don't all flow into the manifold, instead they have their very own exhaust pipes.

No matter what I show you it is not good enough, you want more. I show you proof, you show me nothing. I believe Crossbow over you any day.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned

Finally after searching more of that forum, I found his DYNO test results to match the #'s he was claiming. Remember this is an automatic in 3rd gear, expect poor #'s on the bottom end because stepping on the gas will make car downshift. The first result was done after some modifications. It's too bad he didn't have a stock base ref, but with the automatic it should be between 160-170. It is hard to see but the first one is 189 HP, second one is 201 HP. These are over 1 year plus.

Attached Thumbnails Great Performance Upgrade-dyno-sheet.jpg   Great Performance Upgrade-dynosheet2.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-24-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
No matter what I show you it is not good enough, you want more. I show you proof, you show me nothing. I believe Crossbow over you any day.
That is certainly your prerogative; just don't be surprised when you get smoked by a bone stock Mazda6 of the same vintage as your car.

Keep in mind though, I'm not the only one around here (or on any number of other forums) that doesn't believe. Said another way, until you back your (so far unsubstantiated) claims up with before and after dyno runs (AND a follow-up run), then myself and others will be calling shenanigans on said claims.

Like it don't, believe it or not, the only way to generate a meaningful increase in power is to add forced induction to your engine.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shipo
That is certainly your prerogative; just don't be surprised when you get smoked by a bone stock Mazda6 of the same vintage as your car.

Keep in mind though, I'm not the only one around here (or on any number of other forums) that doesn't believe. Said another way, until you back your (so far unsubstantiated) claims up with before and after dyno runs (AND a follow-up run), then myself and others will be calling shenanigans on said claims.

Like it don't, believe it or not, the only way to generate a meaningful increase in power is to add forced induction to your engine.
I'm sorry, I just put in 2 DYNO runs before you posted this over 1 year span for same car. Believe me all those people that made those posts are not lying. I know the person in that link did have his DYNO sheets posted, but there is an "X" there which may have been one. He is not lying. I have found both his DYNO sheets, one I found in the other link I showed you. I can't believe you say I have ubstantiated my claims after the links I showed you.
Keep in mind, the more mods you have the harder it is to increase your overall HP, so for him to gain 12 HP @ wheels is very good after he already did some mods.
Did you see that stock exhaust! Another Engineering nightmare by Mazda-----causing interference between both pre-cats.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-24-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Mazda Engineering
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I'm sorry, I just put in 2 DYNO runs before you posted this over 1 year span for same car. Believe me all those people that made those posts are not lying. I know the person in that link did have his DYNO sheets posted, but there is an "X" there which may have been one. He is not lying. I have found both his DYNO sheets, one I found in the other link I showed you. I can't believe you say I have ubstantiated my claims after the links I showed you.
Keep in mind, the more mods you have the harder it is to increase your overall HP, so for him to gain 12 HP @ wheels is very good after he already did some mods.
A couple of points:
  • I was talking about the claims you made about your car, not about some other vehicle.
  • As for cost effectively increasing power, by leaving all of the junk most folks "modify" their cars with in the dumpster and by adding a mild turbocharging application, one can dramatically increase the horsepower (and midrange torque) per dollar spent figure.
Regarding the last point above, adding a mild forced induction application to the car in question will cost about the same (or maybe a little more) as adding intakes, headers, exhausts, and electronic tuning. The thing is, the mild turbocharging application will return several orders of magnitude more power. Why spend all of the money on generating a meazley two, five, or even twelve horse power (power which is only available at or near redline), when fifty or more can be had?

To take the above one step further, most normally aspirated cars with intake and exhaust treatments end up losing midrange torque (due to the loss of intake and exhaust resonance) so that they can feed the god of higher power at redline. How much time do you spend driving around with your engine at redline? One of the most satisfying properties of a turbocharged application is that there is typically a HUGE bump in the usable midrange torque, a bump which is right in the sweet spot where most folks (those of us who don't go running around with our engines screaming) make use of it.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shipo
A couple of points:
  • I was talking about the claims you made about your car, not about some other vehicle.
  • As for cost effectively increasing power, by leaving all of the junk most folks "modify" their cars with in the dumpster and by adding a mild turbocharging application, one can dramatically increase the horsepower (and midrange torque) per dollar spent figure.
Regarding the last point above, adding a mild forced induction application to the car in question will cost about the same (or maybe a little more) as adding intakes, headers, exhausts, and electronic tuning. The thing is, the mild turbocharging application will return several orders of magnitude more power. Why spend all of the money on generating a meazley two, five, or even twelve horse power (power which is only available at or near redline), when fifty or more can be had?

To take the above one step further, most normally aspirated cars with intake and exhaust treatments end up losing midrange torque (due to the loss of intake and exhaust resonance) so that they can feed the god of higher power at redline. How much time do you spend driving around with your engine at redline? One of the most satisfying properties of a turbocharged application is that there is typically a HUGE bump in the usable midrange torque, a bump which is right in the sweet spot where most folks (those of us who don't go running around with our engines screaming) make use of it.
It doesn't matter which car. I gave you the proof. Enough of the excuses.
Actually he made more advance than 12 HP. The first run was after modifications. The Mazda 6 automatic makes 160 HP @ wheels. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say his stock auto start was 170 (as 180+ was proven by Strandard tranny's in the links I provided you. Given 170 as a start and the obvious 200 end is an increase of 30 HP @ wheels with an automatic without changing anything to computer or intake manifold or even exhaust manifold. You obviously missed that. 30 HP is obviously available, contrary to your previous beliefs of less than 5. It is hard to see mid torque as this was an automatic (he could not depress gas pedal in this range without downshifting car).
I agree turbo or supercharging is the best power adder but expensive, but there are other options that do really work!.
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/nit...3-0-ltr-28429/

Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Thirty horsepower, sorry, not buying, not even a little.

Look, I'm glad you're happy with your car, it would be a shame if you weren't after all of the money you spent on it.