Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Head Light-Low beam

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Default Head Light-Low beam

I have a 2007- M3 sedan and would like to install brighter low beam bulbs. How do one remove the exhisting bulb and any suggestions on a replacement bulb that brighter than the factory bulb that will not blow on comming traffic off of the road.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Best bet would be HID's. This is a direct link to the people I trust most. I prefer 6000K, but most people like 4000 - 5000K.

http://www.therpmstore.com/index.php?cPath=25_33

Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Basically all bulbs your wiring can handle would be a 55 Watt bulb, so getting brighter is more on the way the bulb is designed and the gas used in the bulb itself.
I am running Sylvania Ultra Vision bulbs in mine and the whiter light seems to help with night visibility.

Low-beam

Halogen type

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the connector.

Caution • A halogen bulb generates extremely high heat when it is illuminated. If the surface of the bulb is soiled, excessive heat will build up and the life of the bulb will be shortened. When replacing the bulb, hold the metal flange, not the glass. 3. Remove the cover.
4. Remove the socket, then remove the headlight bulb.
5. Install in the reverse order of removal.

You will need a small screw driver to remove and reinstall the retaining wire. You will move it out from under the screwed in clip and have to slide it back under it for reinstitution.

If you want brighter you can also convert over to HID lights, but with the Mazda 3 you will need to buy the retainer (the piece that the stock bulb plugs into and the retaining clip goes against to hold the bulb in) or make your own.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks silber for the input. Iy is appreciated.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Those retaining clips are PITA!!!! Worst ones I've ever had to deal with.
Be careful not to bend, break or damage it in any way. Use a mirror behind to see which way it needs to go and make sure it is well seated before installing the boot or the bulb will flop around and you will not get a good beam from it/them.
More than once, I thought I had the damned thing seated properly, only to find out the next time I drove the car that one beam or the other was not lighting correctly.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the input Verg. I'll get a mirrow before doing any thing at all.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Those retaining clips are PITA!!!! Worst ones I've ever had to deal with.
Be careful not to bend, break or damage it in any way. Use a mirror behind to see which way it needs to go and make sure it is well seated before installing the boot or the bulb will flop around and you will not get a good beam from it/them.
More than once, I thought I had the damned thing seated properly, only to find out the next time I drove the car that one beam or the other was not lighting correctly.

+1, the retaining clip is hoooooooooooooorrible for sure. if you bend it or do anything its just gonna cause problems and never go in right.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Hi there..This may not be posted in the right place?..I have a 1999 Mazda 323..On the instrument panel there is a switch to lower and raise the height of the headlights.I presume the switch should be in the position that has them high so that with any extra weight in the back of the car they coulod be lowered? Any help on this would be welcome.
Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that is the way the current factory HID setup works and I have no reason to think otherwise in '99, even though you have halogen headlamps. However, common sense would dictate that if on-coming driver's are being blinded that they would indicate that and the control could then be used to avoid that situation. I was unaware that such a control was available in a '99, but so be it.
i.e. If the static setting of the headlights was adjusted incorrectly (too high) at one time?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Lev

Originally Posted by jimmyw
Hi there..This may not be posted in the right place?..I have a 1999 Mazda 323..On the instrument panel there is a switch to lower and raise the height of the headlights.I presume the switch should be in the position that has them high so that with any extra weight in the back of the car they coulod be lowered? Any help on this would be welcome.
Thanks
Does the leveler have the number's 1,2,3? I believe 3 would be the setting if there is any cargo or passengers in the rear. If you can, could you post a picture of the switch? I didn't know that halgen headlamps came with a leveler.

Quick Reply: Head Light-Low beam