Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Default Headlight replacement

Hello, I need to change the driver's side headlight on my '04 3s 5 door. Any tips or suggestions on how to do that would be great so that I don't spend hours on a minutes job. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Headlight replacement

[font=californainfb]
Yes! If you have stock halogen's, and it's the low beam, pray...!! That clip sucks big time. But also, if all that is true, you will need the adapter/extender from the old bulb in order for the new one to work. I really don't know why they do it this way, but the bulb plugs into the adapter, which in turn plugs into the wiring harness. W/o that the bulb will not fit and will flop arounf in the housing. Be sure not to throw it out w/the old bulb.
Also, it's kinda' tight in there and there might be some sharp edges on the plastic radiator mount, which goes all the way across the front of the car. (The black plastic thing.) You may want to check it and if necessary sand or file off those edges. Otherwise you might end up w/a nasty scrape on your hand like I did the first time I tried working in there.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 PM

I purchased a new H7 bulb, but it looks like it won't fit the plug. The retaining clip on the low beam, has some phillips screws holding the clip in place. Is this any indication of a xenon lamp? Or is it just an adapter? Thanks for the input!!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I understand that there's a base of some sort attached to the bulbs in there. You need to remove that base and put it on the new bulb.

Now if you have HIDs then you'll need to get DS2 bulbs, not H7. Some easy ways to check if you have HIDs (other than bright *** headlights):
-there should be a high voltage sticker on the back of the headlight dust cover
-you have a headlight leveling **** on the dash to the left of the steering wheel
-your lights will flicker and change color a bit when turned on
-5-door- you have LED tails, 4-door '07 you have LED tails

Old 05-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Lev

When i changed my bulbs i had the hardest time trying to get the metal prongs to come out. my fingers were killing me. you have to push in and lift up and try your hardest to be gentle because when i finally got the prong open and put the new light in my headlights started shake everytime i go over bumps and i dont know if there is a way to fixthe shaking. good luck.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mhession

I purchased a new H7 bulb, but it looks like it won't fit the plug. The retaining clip on the low beam, has some phillips screws holding the clip in place. Is this any indication of a xenon lamp? Or is it just an adapter? Thanks for the input!!
[font=californainfb] If you're seeing three phillips heads screws around a black metal ring, you're looking @ the high-beam bulb which is a 9005(?). If that's what you need to replace, you may find it easier to loosen, not remove, the screws,Then twist the bulb counter-clockwise, then pull out.
The low beam halogens (H7) have no screws that need to be dealt with. Leave them alone or you'll be sorry. It just has that stupid pain-in-the-*** clip. Fairly easy to get off, but a bear to reinstall correctly.
The adapter is only on the low beams, and is black plastic with a female end for the bulb, and a male end for the wire harness plug. Remove it from the old bulb (pull) and install on the new one (push.)
Since you seem rather new to all this, please let me state also that as a precaution your hands should be clean, but DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS OF ANY HALOGEN BULB. If by accident you do, it must be thoroughly cleaned, usually w/alcohol or acetone, before installing and putting power to it. The life of the bulb is greatly shortened by oils from your hands getting on the glass.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 AM

ok
glad i read this
i feel better now
tried doing it
too much hassle for an old man like myself
let the dealer do it...........too expensive, but what ya gonna do? had to do something about the ticket I almost got