Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Help? I know yall are smart people. why? yall have mazdas.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Question Help? I know yall are smart people. why? yall have mazdas.

HEYYYY. Me again. Yeah i know. Dear God, someone help her. YES PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME. first question: in the attachment, what is the official name of that version of stock radio. second question: how can i extract the radio, where do i extract it, what do i extract it with, how can i extract it without breaking it? i know that was more than one question. bare with me. the reason i want to do so, is im trying to see if the auxiliary cable got loosened or unplugged somehow. isnt it plugged in to the back of that? hahaha. and also, make sure to tell me answers to everything i asked please!!!! i love you. youre the best if you answer.

Attached Thumbnails Help? I know yall are smart people. why? yall have mazdas.-img_20100831_224532.jpg  

Last edited by transformermazda; 09-01-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: forgot to tell you WHY im doing it. derrr.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, the name of that radio is Sam. I don't know why but it told me so when I opened the picture.
Now seriously, it looks like nothing but the stock OE std radio to me. Only if you have the GT model it would be a Bose.

Now, IIRC (it's been a while for me,)
1) Pull off the dashboard center trim. Start from the middle to release the clips and pull outward because the sides are slide in to a matching female, and you don't want to break those off. You have to bend it outward a bit (toward you) to release it completely. This will expose a couple of screw/bolts. More on those later....
2) Next remove the shift **** by unscrewing it counter-clockwise and pull up the shifter bezel on the console to remove that. It too is clipped in, so be careful not to break those clips. Pull straight up.
3) That will expose two screw/bolts that need to be removed below the ash tray compartment.
4) Once that compartment is removed and put aside, you should see two more screw/bolts as before. Remove those, and the two at the top that were under the dash trim to release the center console cover/surround.
5) Gently pull out on the console surround to release those clips. Once the clips are released, it should pull out freely.
6) The radio is held in with more of those screw/bolts. I can't remember if there are two or four, but they should be easily seen now. Undo those and pull out on the head unit, and you got it!!
Reassemble in reverse order.

That's basically it, as I can remember. It's not as hard as it sounds, and I don't think it will be necessary to undo any wiring, but it may make the job a little easier. Plus if you have the automatic, there will be a wired light under that part that illuminates the shift bezel at night.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

^^ It's not necessary to remove the shifter/ashtray to get the HU out.

To the OP I posted instructions on removing it last night in your other thread..... you know the thread you already started....... on this same topic. :P

As far as what the HU is called I was going to go with Rupert, but I suppose Sam works just as well. I don't know what the model number of the HU is, however it looks like you have a '08.5 single CD/Mp3 HU. Aren't you still under warranty? If so and you don't find anything on your plug reconnaissance can't you just take it to the dealer and say it isn't working anymore?

To Richard, I see you finally installed your turn signal mirror covers.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure you can confirm or deny this Remy, those two things do need to come loose to remove the HU, don't they? Like I said, it's been a few years.
Did I miss any other steps in the process, Remy? Or any tips she might find of value?

Yes. Unfortunately I gave up getting the side repeaters removed and filled, so I did finally install the LEDs. Now as to wiring... (you're gonna love this) For now, they are connected to the heated mirror circuit so they are not on most of the time.
As an alternative to my original more expensive plan, the next time i get the front end off, I plan to use wire them into the repeaters circuit as planned, but use the OE repeaters as additional "side" running lights.
I would have preferred to lose them altogether and SMOOOOTH that fender, but......

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, only the dash strip and two screws need to come out to remove the HU.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by virgin1
[COLOR="Navy"]
I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure you can confirm or deny this Remy, those two things do need to come loose to remove the HU, don't they? Like I said, it's been a few years.
Did I miss any other steps in the process, Remy? Or any tips she might find of value?
See the instructions I typed out in her other thread. :P

Originally Posted by virgin1

Yes. Unfortunately I gave up getting the side repeaters removed and filled, so I did finally install the LEDs. Now as to wiring... (you're gonna love this) For now, they are connected to the heated mirror circuit so they are not on most of the time.
As an alternative to my original more expensive plan, the next time i get the front end off, I plan to use wire them into the repeaters circuit as planned, but use the OE repeaters as additional "side" running lights.
I would have preferred to lose them altogether and SMOOOOTH that fender, but......

Okay so now the LEDs come on when you turn on your rear defroster. While a novel approach probably not what I would have gone for. lol Did you check the wiring for the mirror motors? I can't remember if they run off of a constant ground or constant 12v. If they're switched 12v then you could wire to that and then ground them to the door. That way they'd come on whenever the car is on (regardless of light position of course). Or you could just go ahead and run a wire to the light on the cigarette lighter and have them come on with your parking lights. There are some details on this in my heated mirror install walkthrough.