Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

HID help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Default HID help

I just bought 8000k HID for my mazda, i took it to the dealership to get installed and he told me that i need some kind of conversion kit to make them work.. can someone please help me? lol

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM

where did u buy them from, if your car came with halogens taking it to the dealer they will tell you that you need the HID headlight clusters which are no different from what you have now but have a ballast with plugs for the HID bulb.

Do you just have a bulb or the whole kit?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

It's true. Your information is lacking in details. Can you help us help you by providing more complete info?
1) Did the car have factory HIDs?
2) What/who's kit did you buy?
3) Do you have a kit w/ballasts and wiring or just bulbs?
4) What year and model, as well as trim level is the Mazda you are talking about? (this should be the first question answered.)

If your car came w/HID's and you got 8k replacement bulbs, you may not have the correct ones for the car. e.g. H7 conversions vs. D2 factory.

And why in heaven's name would you take it to the dealer for an upgrade like this? For one thing, if they will do it at all they will certainly charge an arm and leg to do it.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Default sorry =/

i bought them from amazon.com, Kensun Xenon HID H7 8000k, and it came with the blubs and 2 black and red wires.. i have a 2009 mazda 3 2.3 s model.

i'm really sorry about all the dumb questions, i'm a girl and i have worked on a lot of older toyota trucks, but not any many mazda's. i do love the car though just trying to spice it up a little.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

There are no dumb questions, just questions from uninformed gearheads.

I applaud you trying to upgrade your car. I wish my wife felt the same way, but alas, she doesn't. So much of what I try to do and teach/tell her falls on deaf ears.

I'm not familiar w/that brand, but you do not mention the black boxes (ballasts) that are necessary for HID's to work.
Consider that HID's are like fluorescent lights: They need a high voltage from a transformer ("ballast") to start. Once started, they run on much less voltage.
You need (if you don't already have) a complete conversion kit which includes ballasts. The ballasts connect to the power source, your original headlamp power wires, and then to the new HID bulbs... which BTW are known as glass envelopes, or envelopes for short.
From your description, it doesn't sound like you have a complete "conversion" kit.
If you need to buy a new kit, consider a 5000, or 6000k kit from DDM Tuning. The higher the color temperature, measured in Kelvin degrees, the less the usable light output. Their kits have come way down in cost and offer the bulb adapter (plastic spacer) you require for your Mazda3.
If you have a GT, then you have HIDs as factory installed and should be able to plug in new 35 watt (not 55 watt) D2 bulbs w/o modification.

I hope this does not confuse you and actually helps clear up some of your questions.

Last edited by virgin1; 08-19-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Default confused?

i don't know where to find ones that will fit it so i don't have to keep sending them back.. so can someone find me a link with something that will work? like a complete kit? i want 8000k.

price really isnt an issue.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM

vvme.com, any range you want with a REAL color chart

h7 for low beams on 04-09

h11 for low beams on 2010

And just so your aware, the front bumper has to come off, or improper install of bulbs may happen causing your housing to melt

Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 PM

http://www.ddmtuning.com/, it has everything you need including the adapters for the lights to fit correctly. The ones from VVME did not have them so I had to make my own.
Name:  Misc013.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  283.0 KB

Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed. The adapter is necessary and makes the install that much easier.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:04 PM

i had no problems with mine, install went like a breeze and the lights sat perfectly in the housing, what does that adapter do?

Quick Reply: HID help