Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Hit tire tread in road, now every light on dash is on but no leaks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Default Hit tire tread in road, now every light on dash is on but no leaks??

Hi, first off, I'm new to the forum! I just bought a '10 Mazda3-S 6-speed 3 weeks ago. 3 days ago, I accidentally hit a strip of semi tread laying in the road. Upon getting to work, it looked like all it did was rip apart all the plastic undercarriage coverings. So I decided to simply remove them. No wetness, from what I could see no broken wires, just dragging plastic on the ground. Since then, I noticed intermittently as I drive highway speeds, I hear something that sounds exactly like the inner fender plastic rubbing against the tire. I look again, but could see no marks of the tire hitting the inner fender liner. Last night I go 1/4 mile up to Krogers to pick up a few things. It drives fine. No hesitation, no lights on, no nothing. I get back in and start going home. I look down, and I have traction control light, power steering light, check engine light, dsc off light, reduced engine power, abs light all on and my low tire light is flashing and I have no power steering. I get home and inspect the belt and fluid levels, all of which look just fine. I let it sit overnight, go out there this morning. No spots underneath, all fluids are still at proper level, and all the same symptoms are happening when I turn it on. Therefore, I'm thinking it's something electrical. Now, I work as a service writer at a GM dealership (hey, nothing screams 'job security' like fixing Chevrolets for a living) and when reduced engine power, service stabilitrack, check engine light, and abs light comes on, 95% of the time it's either a wheel speed sensor dropping voltage (replace the hub), or it's the accelerator pedal losing voltage. Could this be the same for Mazda? Or did I hit some sort of wire that I'm not seeing perhaps? Since the rubbing is coming from that one corner, I thought MAYBE if could be the right front hub that's been torn up and losing signal with the speed sensor. Any and all help would be great!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM

UPDATE: Scanned system found 6 codes. All of which are 'loss of communication with pcm/abs/power steering/etc....'

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Sounds like a wire harness was damaged in the impact or was shaken loose. Do they mount the PCM on the fender?