Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Hooked up my battery backwards in my 2012 Mazda3 GSKY. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 03:00 PM
Default Hooked up my battery backwards in my 2012 Mazda3 GSKY. Help!

Made a stupid mistake but now I'm trying to fix it. I hooked up my battery backwards and blew several fuses... now I'm a little stumped. Before I have it towed to a shop, I'm hoping someone might have had a similar experience.

Vehicle is 2012 Mazda3 GSky

Main Fuse (150a) on Battery (+) has been replaced ROOM(15a) fuse in engine compartment has been replaced. Starter Relay has been replaced. (Did a jumper test across the contacts and the engine cranks) - Should I do this with the key at the ON position?

Vehicle seems to have full power - interior lights/stereo/power locks etc come on.

When I turn the key all I hear is a dull click... so I'm not sure what else I could try to get my engine started.

I can't seem to find anymore blown fuses nor do I know which ones to look for at this point.

If anyone has some helpful advice it would be much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:25 PM

This is the solution, similar to another reverse polarity issue I found online.

In the engine fuse compartment:

Replace ROOM and TCM fuse 15a x 2 (2-3$CAD)

On the battery:

Replace main fuse 150a (45$ CAD)

This allowed the vehicle to run and start; however, power steering module was not available to be connected to.

The last replacement was the power steering pump including it's electrical module. It was very pricey at approximately (1200$ CAD).

Once this was all completed my car has been running like normal.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:58 AM
Default Hooked up new battery backwards 2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback

I wanted to thank you for helping me as I had a similar problem. Dash lights came on when key turned but wouldnt turn over. The positive terminal fuse block looked ok, not blown. I got a new starter relay and changed that but still no turning over. I checked the fuses you mentioned, the Room fuse was ok but the TCM fuse was blown so I changed it and the car started right up! Test drove it and everything seemed normal. I'm so thankful for your mentioning that TCM fuse, it never would have occurred to me that that affected starting. Thank you very much for your help, Pete Sullivan