Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

how long have you owned your mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
LPG
Default how long have you owned your mazda 3

can anyone contribute and share about how many years youve owned your mazda 3
im trying to get an idea about how long i can expect this car to last me for
given the fact that it will have regular oil changes every 2000 miles and be well maintained.

Im just curious how long your cars life expectancies have been
and how long i can expect to be paired with my 09

thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: how long have you owned your mazda 3

2000 miles an oil change seems to be alittle overkill. It'll stretch to at least 3000-3500. Since the M3 are fairly new, yet not excatly, an estimate would be kinda hard to give. I have not know any 3's to crap out too soon, or have I heard any to die at all. I've had mine only for 6mo or so, but this is my opinion.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: LPG

can anyone contribute and share about how many years youve owned your mazda 3
im trying to get an idea about how long i can expect this car to last me for
given the fact that it will have regular oil changes every 2000 miles and be well maintained.

Im just curious how long your cars life expectancies have been
and how long i can expect to be paired with my 09

thanks
Every 2,000 miles? Why on earth would you do that? These days, even if you use conventional oil and change it every 5,000 miles you will still be changing it too often. I say "too often" because there is growing evidence that shows that fresh oil actually causes more engine wear than oil that has been used for a bit.

If you consult your Owner's Manual you will see that Mazda recommends an oil change every 6 months or 7,500 miles, and believe it or not, Mazda has a huge library of research that proves that to be an optimal oil change interval (OCI). My plan is to stick to that OCI (using synthetic oil) for the duration of my warranty and then to bump the interval to whatever the results of used oil analysis shows to beappropriate (I'm guessing that is going to be somewhere between ten and twelve thousand miles).

Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM

i go every 10000 KMS generally. and so far no problems in 18 months and i got 65000kms on my car

Old 11-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Yeah 2000 miles is WAY too overkill. Do some research on oil bro and you'll realize what a waste of money that is.

But anyway I've had mine for 5 1/2 months and have about 16,700+ miles and so far its doing great

Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: how long have you owned your Mazda 3

As others have suggested, you are doing nothing but wasting your money changing the oil that often.
I run 5w-20 Synthetic and change mine every 10k miles, with a filter change in between. Some suggest that that"s too often even for synthetic.
Put your money away and do it every 5k, or even a little longer. No harm in that at all.

How you drive the car and where will be a better determination of how much life you might expect from it than how often you change oil... not that it"s not a factor. If you drive in wintery weather, it will likely rust out sooner. If you drive like an idiot (abuse it,)or do not pay attention regularly, you"ll wreck it in a few years.... etc.....

I expect to get 10+yrs from mine.... going on 5 now.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM

I've had mine for 9 months now, with only 3 problems. First problem was my oil pressure switch, which was 5 HOURS after I got the car. Second problem was and still is my Purge Canister Solenoid, which since it's burning too lean now, I am actually getting BETTER gas mileage (odd how that works). The third problem is, not really a problem, but my back washer fluid sprayer isn't working. I've been using Royal Purple High Performance oil in my 3, and this baby runs like a dream. *EDIT* I run my oil towards 8000 miles with a filter change in between with no problems. Never had torque steer until I put that oil in. Oh, by the way, whoever else has done the grounding trick, pull off the driver-side kick panel and do the ground there too. You'd be surprised what all it does.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM

I had my 05 for almost 2 1/2 years with no problems - except for a fire that destroyed it.
And I havehad my 08 for just over a year, again with no problems...