Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

I wouldn't recommend this product :

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Default I wouldn't recommend this product :

For the Mazda 3 2.3 liter engines -

Puralator Pure One Oil Filter (the High Micron Filter version)

The filter is too tall for the application. When I removed the filter after roughly 3200 miles the pleats were smushed in the middle, bent inwards. I have also read about how the flow is bad on these filters because they filter so much and have so many pleats - it doesn’t let enough oil through later in its life. After changing my filter back to a regular (cheaper) highly regarded Puralator Premium filter, I noticed the car starts up smoother (it would actually feel like it would surge in the RPMs when it started with the Pure One filter) When comparing the filters in the store I noticed a size difference, but since they came up for the same application, I assumed it would fit just fine.

I know I put the filter in properly because I am meticulous about this sort of thing and there was also no damage to the top of the filter housing signaling that it was put in on a weird angle or something. It definately made contact and definately filtered the oil...I just think it doesn't work efficiently and people shouldn't waste their money.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Default RE: I wouldn't recommend this product :

Interesting. The Purolator One and the Plus, Premium, are not for every vehicle. I used the Plus filter exclusively on my last vehicle, simply for the better filtering capacity (capture smaller microns). Downside is exactly as you mentioned, it restricts oil flow to some degree. It is best left for higher ponied engines and mid to large V-6's.

I've been considering what to use in my new 3s, but already ruled out the Purolator immediately when I bought it, for that very reason. Right now I get free changes for the life of the car warranty from my dealer, so I will let them install. I know they use Castrol oil, but not sure what brand filters they use. At this point I figure - whatever they use has to be covered under warranty!![8D]

There was a link that rated all the filters......I will try to find it.

Edit - found one of the links. It's a study from some guy who bought all kinds of different brands, cut them up, studied the designs, and all that other stuff! There were a couple other links I couldn't find but they all say the same thing basicly. The one common bad boy in the filter market to stay away from appeared to be Fram. They repeatedly failed to measure up in virtually all independent testing blocks. Oil Filter Study

Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 PM

thanks

yeah i had just found that study myself not too long ago

mazda just uses their "mazda brand" filters...im sure they do the trick, but i dont have oil changes for the life of my vehicle - and the mazda filter costs around 8 bucks compared to the 5 and change of the puralator premium (im on a budget )

Old 07-04-2006, 08:47 PM

I hear ya! It seems that most filters are good aside from a couple brands people say to keep away from. I'm not 100% sure but I was under the understanding that there are only 3 or 4 companies that manufacture the filters. All the different brands you see on the market are made from these few companies and have the filter specs, casing and labeling manufactured to the customers (Purolator, Fram, Castrol, etc...) requirements.