Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

if you didnt buy your 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: if you didnt buy your 3

ORIGINAL: MrSpike118
Jeep is extremely well built. I mean everyone has opinions, but I owned a 98 Jeep Grandcherokee and got the 4.0L straight 6 and you cant kill that engine. That is prob. one of the best built, longest lasting engines. They have made that engine for over 30 years.
The trannys scare me a little because of the whole chrysler thing, but again I have my jeep up over 115k and I had no problems, traded it in only beacuse of gas prices for the 6.

I wasn't specific in my critic of the Jeeps, but imo you're absolutely right about the 4.0 straight 6. GREAT engine.HOT engine!! And easily modded for much more power too... if you could maintain traction w/it.
They were using the 727Torque Flights (Chrysler) when I worked for them and the torque of that 6 could literally strip the input splines and brake bands of that tranny... not that they were all that strong to begin with.
It was other things about the Jeeps that really bothered me. Often little things that I saw over and over and over, and never seemed to gain any attention for the design engineers (not unlike the weak A/C in our 3's, btw.) Switches, fabric, window cranks were a biggie, and yes, automatic transmissions. Before the 4.0 was developed for the "new" Cherokee/Wagoneer, they used the 3.6L V-6 cast-off from GM... the two year old ones GM couldn't buck off on anyone else. Oil leaks, especially the rear main seals and oil pumps were common fixes. Now that's good foran engine, any engine. Have the oil pump take a dive on you @ 65mph. And they were dogs and gas hogs too.
As for Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge, they've always been third and often for good reason. Then they bought AMC/Jeep which had certainly always been a distant fourth, and a niche automaker @ best. So what do you end up with? Third and fourth out of four. Good combo, huh? [:@]

Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM

ok lets say this. except for the Jeep Cherokee every car made by Daimer Chrysler Dodge suuuucked big time

Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM

ha ha, yea...it was little things that always broke on the jeep, but Id rather pay for small things then an engine. I think all jeeps are good. My fiance has a 2007 Jeep compass and she loves it. Never really hit it off, but she has talked to other people that own them and they all love them, she has about 21K on it and no problems what-so-ever (knock on wood!)

Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 AM

holy a bunch of posts on this one topic lol. wow and not even half of them have to do with anything hehe. ah well. anyway my uncle traded in his 86 Firebird and bought himself a 99 i think Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. this jeep has had no problems (as to my knowledge) to date. the thing is running strong. he uses it because he loves to rock climb and going to the site is alot better if your in a jeep then a firebird because the firebird doesnt make it that far :P

Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, we are a little off-topic. Sorry for my part, but it happens on forums. You have to speak to the subject(s) as it is presented.
Waduryagonnado?

/Threadjack.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:08 AM

haha yea we get off track to the original question but it doesnt matter. it always happens. its quite funny. maybe its because i like talking about other stuff that are somewhat of the topic that turns into not into the topic. (trackers progress lol, the fact that i found out dentinger is about 25 mins away from me lol completely off topic haha). whats funny is as of right now im at work boredbecause there is thunderstorms here and thunderstorms mean no flying meaning that here i am sitting on the computer on the mazda forum site hehe . and i get paid for it lol

Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 AM

lupae!!! tsk tsk, traitor. Joining the darkside and getting a VW at least it isnt an american made p.o.s.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM

haha very true. german made. my friend wanted me to buy a Jetta TDI or something along the lines of that. he keeps telling me to this day "ohhhh your mazda is a p.o.s. i tell him that well consider you drive your mom's Kia Sportage you should not be talking. haha. Definitly if and when i buy another car im buying the Mazdaspeed3. ooooh how i love those

Old 10-07-2007, 02:13 AM

well...i seriously considered the trade for a while. but the deal of trading my car plus $2000 for the gti juset didnt seem right. the gti is really nice, but not that nice. for now, i am veryhappy driving the mazda.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

I will say it again... You've already got the better car.

I'd heard years ago that the Type III's had a number of electrical and FI issues.I don't know if they were ever corrected in the later years or not. However I was shopping for a late model used car back in the mid-90's and mechanic friend's of mine that were still in the business (several of them,) that the Golf/Jetta Type III's were considered "****-boxes"... their words, not mine. Kinda' reminiscent of the "other" VW Type III.

Quick Reply: if you didnt buy your 3