Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Interested in Buying

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Default Interested in Buying

I am a 22 year old looking to buy a new car and often find myself drawn to the Mazda3 because of its seemingly convieniet design and diverseness. I don't know much about cars in general but I do know that this car is in the price range I am looking at, however there are also lots of other competitors in a similar price range such as the Toyota Corolla and the VW passat...could anyone give me reasons why they chose this car over the others?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Interested in Buying

do you mean the jetta not the passat? and the corolla looks way to plain looking. at least with the mazda3 it has the best look of any car in its price range. i was debating the civic the fit the corolla and the mazda3 and i ended up buying the 3. never did regret it and people who bought the other cars tell me that they wish they bought the 3.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Well understand that we are all Mazda owners, so some of our opinions may be biased.

But I know people that own VW's and Ihave heard that their quailty has gone down. Buddies complain that weeks after purchasing a GTI or Jetta they here noises, creaks etc... But I don't have any reviews on the Passat, don't know anybody that owns them, but in the looks department I like it.

I really don't have anything bad to say about the Corolla, its been one of the best selling cars ever, and has a decent resale value....but I personally think the look is a little outdated and just not as stylish as the 3.

Good luck on your purchase.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I had been considering a Mini before I saw the3. First there was the$3-4000 price difference and the 35-door hatchback is just more practical. Plentyof power, decent mileage and a sportier feel than most.[/align]It's not a perfect car by a stretch, but I've owned many Rabbits and Golf's over the years, I used to buy, fix up and resell them for a little extra cash.Compared to them, the 3 is a tank, but the 3 is no tank.
VW's QC has been in the toilet for many, many years now, and if longevity and lack of annoyances is your goal, I would strongly steer you away from their showroom.
The Toyota... well, it's a Corolla! Nothing to write home about, but reliable.It's a boring little grocery getterfor those that are not really interested in drivinga car.The suspension and tires are soft, and the handling mirrors that. The steering is vague, and the brakes are just adequate. Nothing more.
As for the downsides of the 3, and there is always a downside, I wrote another member here w/the same question. I warn you though it's a short list, but a long read:
"A few of thedownsides of the Mazda3? As I've either experienced myself or have read others complain about:
1. The A/C has got to be the #1 complaint. Most find it weak, including me. I knew this going in so it was not a complete deterrent from me buying mine, just a disappointment.

2.The paint too is weak.Plan on gettingan invisible bra/paint protection for the front end ASAP. Believe me, I wish I had.
3. Fuel mileage. Though we could all use better fuel economy, I don't really have a problem in this area.After it's warmed up (oil temp) I like to drive the car hard up to speed. I rarely go way over the limit, usually hovering around +5mph, but I like to get out of the way and feel the power.I've been getting 26-28 this summer w/a 2.3L 5-sp, my heavy foot and the A/C on most of the time. Not bad imo. However, there are those that expect, or expected, to get 40mpg w/these cars. Unless you strip it down to race weight and keep the drive train stock, that ain't gonna happen.

4. The ATX. Many are disappointed that the car feels sluggish after a time w/this trans. Many also complain about mileage using the ATX. There is a noticeable difference. If there's one expensive option I could talk you out of, this would be the one. I'll say it again.... $950 for an automatic!!! That could buy you a lot of other mods or accessories?

5. Carpets and interior plastics. The carpets are not the best and can be very hard to clean.Hence the all-weather floor mat suggestion. Some also complain about "scratches" in the plastics, particularly the dashboard. I find that while it does "scratch," it is just as easily wiped away. I don't have a problem in these areas.
6. Sedan owners complain about not having a remote trunk release. C'mon!! It's an economy car ppl!! And besides, look at what else you get for the money!!"

And here's the thread he started: https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_43799/m..._/tm.htm#54568

But I also strongly suggest that you do a lot of research before making a final decision.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM

My MS3 GT is a replacement for my 99 Integra that some idiot sidswiped while I was at work and didn't leave a note. [sm=icon_flaming.gif]
For me I looked at a wide range of cars. Honda Accord V6 Coupe; Audi A3; Acura TSX; VW Jetta GLI; VW GTI. Basically I felt that my decision was based on the most "bang" for my $$. Also I read up on as many reviews that I could for each vehicle. My reasons for not picking the above cars:

Audi: Wanted too much moneyfor the privalage of owning one, although it has gotten good reviews.
Honda Accord V6 Coupe: Same as above as Audi
Acura TSX: Ended up not really my style.
VW Jetta: Price was ok, but poor reviews
VW GTI: Same as Jetta

I am extremely happy with my 08 MS3. I dealt directly with the fleet mgr. so there was no back and forth on pricing. Basically I got about $1,200 off MSRP. Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM

I had a MS6, and I loved it, but I wanted a smaller car, and one that was brand new, so I went with the MS3. Again, people will rant and rave about this car because you are at a mazdaforum, but just google it and check out the reviews...They are convincing.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I had been considering a Mini before I saw the3. First there was the$3-4000 price difference and the 35-door hatchback is just more practical. Plentyof power, decent mileage and a sportier feel than most.[/align]It's not a perfect car by a stretch, but I've owned many Rabbits and Golf's over the years, I used to buy, fix up and resell them for a little extra cash.Compared to them, the 3 is a tank, but the 3 is no tank.
VW's QC has been in the toilet for many, many years now, and if longevity and lack of annoyances is your goal, I would strongly steer you away from their showroom.
The Toyota... well, it's a Corolla! Nothing to write home about, but reliable.It's a boring little grocery getterfor those that are not really interested in drivinga car.The suspension and tires are soft, and the handling mirrors that. The steering is vague, and the brakes are just adequate. Nothing more.
As for the downsides of the 3, and there is always a downside, I wrote another member here w/the same question. I warn you though it's a short list, but a long read:
"A few of thedownsides of the Mazda3? As I've either experienced myself or have read others complain about:
1. The A/C has got to be the #1 complaint. Most find it weak, including me. I knew this going in so it was not a complete deterrent from me buying mine, just a disappointment.

2.The paint too is weak.Plan on gettingan invisible bra/paint protection for the front end ASAP. Believe me, I wish I had.
3. Fuel mileage. Though we could all use better fuel economy, I don't really have a problem in this area.After it's warmed up (oil temp) I like to drive the car hard up to speed. I rarely go way over the limit, usually hovering around +5mph, but I like to get out of the way and feel the power.I've been getting 26-28 this summer w/a 2.3L 5-sp, my heavy foot and the A/C on most of the time. Not bad imo. However, there are those that expect, or expected, to get 40mpg w/these cars. Unless you strip it down to race weight and keep the drive train stock, that ain't gonna happen.

4. The ATX. Many are disappointed that the car feels sluggish after a time w/this trans. Many also complain about mileage using the ATX. There is a noticeable difference. If there's one expensive option I could talk you out of, this would be the one. I'll say it again.... $950 for an automatic!!! That could buy you a lot of other mods or accessories?

5. Carpets and interior plastics. The carpets are not the best and can be very hard to clean.Hence the all-weather floor mat suggestion. Some also complain about "scratches" in the plastics, particularly the dashboard. I find that while it does "scratch," it is just as easily wiped away. I don't have a problem in these areas.
6. Sedan owners complain about not having a remote trunk release. C'mon!! It's an economy car ppl!! And besides, look at what else you get for the money!!"

And here's the thread he started: https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_43799/m..._/tm.htm#54568

But I also strongly suggest that you do a lot of research before making a final decision.
haha i really get annoyed when i realize i have no remote trunk opener though. it just is an inconvience. and my car isnt even really the base model... do they come with the GT or no

Old 10-01-2007, 03:44 PM

I dont think any of them have it...sucks when you have your hands full! and need to open it with the key!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 PM

yea. exactly what i keep thinking. should get a lincoln navigator... the hatch opens up

Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM

thats it then! trading the MS3 in for a navigator!

Quick Reply: Interested in Buying