Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Intermittent Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Post Intermittent Electrical Problems

I purchased a new 2005 Mazda 3i four years years ago.

At random intervals specific portions of the electrical system quit functioning for various periods of time (from 5 seconds to a 2 weeks (currently)). There is no one common occurrence to trigger the malfunctions. There is no change in driving habits or events that may cause the malfunction. The problem happens when it is hot or cold, wet or dry.

Here are the symptoms:

• Radio console does not work. No power.
  • Clock, display does not work. No display, no background light, no power
  • Interior lights do not work
  • Remote locking/unlocking does not work
  • Gauges spike at 100% when starting. The battery and fuel gauge erratically fluctuate for 2-3 seconds. When car fully started, all gauges normalize
  • Chime does not work when keys remain in ignition and/or lights remain on when door is open
  • Tripometer is reset after I turn off the car.
  • AC works (but settings are reset after I turn off the car).
  • Cluster/dash lights work
  • Power windows work
  • Power mirrors work
  • Headlights work
  • Airbag (passenger) indicator works
  • Cigarette lighter works

I've taken the car into the dealership many times, but because the problem is intermittent it never is happening when I take it into the dealership. When I'm close to a dealership, they can't see me for another day or two because they are helping current customers, but by the time the appointment comes, the problem has resolved itself.

This has happened at the approximate mileage intervals:
  • 58,644 to the present

I've documented the problem and caught it on tape once, but Mazda has to duplicate it before they will attempt to fix the problem.

Before I continue to push Mazda to resolve the issue, does anybody have any tips, pointers, suggestions? Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Sounds like it could be the Body Control Module going bad. Looks like the vehicle is out of warranty by the mileage.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Here's an update,

This morning the console came on while I was driving down the road. Nothing triggered it to turn as far as I can tell. However, I opened my door as I was driving (because one time before opening the door triggered the console to go out) and indeed, the console went out. I closed the door and the console came on again. I turned on my interior reading lights, nothing happened. I again opened the door and the console went out and hasn't come back on since.

I understand that it's under warranty. The issue is being handled on a case by case basis because it is a pre-existing documented condition. But that's another long story there.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM

What would make you say it's the Body Control Module going bad? I'm not a car guy so I'm interested why you'd think it's that that is causing the problem.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Most of the items that are acting up, is controlled by the BCM.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not familiar with that either, Sheldon. Could you tell us both more about it?
How it works, where it is, what is does, etc?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:14 AM

This is interesting - this problem has just happened to me in Australia. 2006 Mazda 3 SP23, 41,000kms, service centre have just informed me it's the Body Control Module unit. And they want AUD$2651 for a replacement part. As I've just found used ones on eBay for US$99.99, I'll be debating that before the work commences.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 AM

One solution to intermittent or permanent headlight failure can be found on the post by SEVARGMT on 9-29-2010.

It seems to lie in corrosion of the wiring system connectors in the PJB, a specific wire connection junction box located under the passenger side glove compartment box.

It seems possible to repair the corroded pin connector but it is probably best to have the dealer replace the entire PJB to avoid repeats of this problem, as it is a dangerous situation when headlights go out at night, like mine did.

Brilliant problem solving by SEVARGMT and DJS2571. They also developed a convincing theory of what causes this problem: the air conditioning line located above this box creates condensation, which then drips down on the wire connectors and causes them to corrode, causing an electrical fault. They suggest a plastic drip sheet to avoid future corrosion.

Wouldn't it be great if Mazda assigned an engineer to read the forums for problems with their cars and prepare posts with solutions? It is plainly obvious that a problem is very common when you look at the number of "views" listed for certain topics, such the headlights (many thousands of owners have headlight failure problems). Mazda should have issued a bulletin or a recall since the corroding PJB is clearly a safety problem. This looks like a design/engineering flaw. Every electrician and plumber knows to never put moisture sources above electrical boxes. Shame on them.