Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

iPod intergration module sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Default iPod intergration module sound quality

Hi everyone,

I just got out of a dealership after they installed the iPod integration module. However, the sound volume and quality is just BAD. It doesn't even compare to the quality I get when I hook up my iPod by regular AUX cable. No bass, very low volume, and just bad quality.

I see all the information displayed and I can switch songs and pause with my steering wheel but the sound quality is not there. The dealer said I have to increase the volume...riiggghhhttt. I think something is wrong.

Any idea if that is just how the module is or if I actually have some problem?

Does anyone else have the module and can test for me if the music played through the module is the same as through AUX input?

I spent $450 with the dealer promising best sound quality (better than through AUX cable) and I get a very poor one.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM

When he means turn up the volume, he is probably refering to the volume on the IPOD itself. If you trying to pull volume from something thats not giving it, it will mess with the quality.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Doesn't the iPod integration module pull audio from the iPod's digital connector, rather than the headphone jack? If so, the volume controls on the iPod shouldn't affect the sound. And if anything, the audio should sound better from the integration module than from the Aux input.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Doesn't the iPod integration module pull audio from the iPod's digital connector, rather than the headphone jack? If so, the volume controls on the iPod shouldn't affect the sound. And if anything, the audio should sound better from the integration module than from the Aux input.
Exactly. That's what I thought and that's what the dealer advertised when I was buying the car. But the sound quality is horrible. What's worse, the dealer wont uninstall it or give me my money back. I lost $450. Beware!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I would try a little troubleshooting to see if you can find the problem. Can you confirm the year of your car and the item number of the module they installed? I'm guessing you have a '08.5+ model with the newer ipod module. Do you have sirius as well? If so does that work? Assuming you do have the newer one (which with text display you must) does your ACI still work?

-Try it with a friend's ipod and see if there's the same problem
-unplug and replug all of the connections. Including: connection to ipod, ipod cable connection to module, connection to HU, HU cable connection to module

If you do all that and still have the problem talk to the SA again, and if that doesn't work ask to speak with the General Manager of the dealer. If they refuse to hear the problem, or to give you a replacement or refund then take it to Mazda North America/Corporate. You could even tell them that you'll take it to MNA, though not in a threatening tone. Let them know you purchased something that does not perform as advertised and that your dealer refuses to fix the problem. That will probably make some things happen.

If they continue to be asses just get a refund and then buy another module online and install it yourself. The newer OEM module runs around $150-200 for the parts (must have the correct install harness) and you can install it yourself. The dealer charging you $200 for the install is absolutely insane.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 AM

I have the 2010 Mazda 3 and the new module. They changed the modules in 2010 for the new re-designed models. I tried 2 different iPods already and still the same problem. I also disconnected and re-connected everything with no luck.

While troubleshooting I noticed a strange thing. When I listen to the iPod through the AUX input, lets say my volume is at 10 and that's a pretty good loud setting. When I switch to my FM radio or the iPod module I have to crank up the volume to about 40-45 to get to the same loudness. So it looks like for some reason (depending on the mode) the volume/quality differs.

I understand that the quality with regular FM radio is inferior to CDs or an iPod but I expected the iPod module to have the best sound quality out of all of the above.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Something's wrong dude. I had the Ipod kit on my '10 and the sound was awesome. And yes, once the connector is plugged into the IPod all it displays is the "Mazda" logo, you can't adjust anything on the Ipod including the volume, everything has to be done through the car controls.

One thing that may be a factor, in ITunes, go into playback settings and be sure that "Sound Check" is enabled. This levels the volume from one song to the next so they don't vary. Once you sync your Ipod, you can go into the Ipod settings and Sound Check will appear there also, so enable it.

On my car, volume settings in the 30's or 40's were blowing you out of the car with the Ipod. I didn't like that the volume control on the '10 was so granular, that you had to get the volume up that high to make it loud. On my '07 you'd get similar loudness at a setting around 20.

I'd take it back to the dealer and insist that they back up what they sold you, it should sound great!!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Default Still no luck...

Originally Posted by Mark56
Something's wrong dude. I had the Ipod kit on my '10 and the sound was awesome. And yes, once the connector is plugged into the IPod all it displays is the "Mazda" logo, you can't adjust anything on the Ipod including the volume, everything has to be done through the car controls.

One thing that may be a factor, in ITunes, go into playback settings and be sure that "Sound Check" is enabled. This levels the volume from one song to the next so they don't vary. Once you sync your Ipod, you can go into the Ipod settings and Sound Check will appear there also, so enable it.

On my car, volume settings in the 30's or 40's were blowing you out of the car with the Ipod. I didn't like that the volume control on the '10 was so granular, that you had to get the volume up that high to make it loud. On my '07 you'd get similar loudness at a setting around 20.

I'd take it back to the dealer and insist that they back up what they sold you, it should sound great!!
Thanks for the reply. I have been playing around with the iPod setting and car setting for about a week now. Still no luck. The sound gets ok around volume 40-45 where I can listed to music but the bass is still not as pronounced and the quality is not the same as when using the AUX input.

When I went back to the dealer...again.....they told me they can take it out for $220 and give me back the $450. So basically I would only get $230 back.

Time to call Mazda CORP.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say remove it yourself and return it to them. It's a pretty easy process, though Mazda makes it more difficult than it needs to be.