Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Jerky gear changes in automatic 2008 Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 PM

they dont know that for sure unless they actually take it on a road test, that way they can tell if its harder than normal, which by now i feel that you may have something wrong with either your solenoids, or your main line pressure is too high for some reason. they way they are supposed to properly diagnois that concern is to (after verifying that its too hard) is to do a system check on the pcm and see if its applying too much hydro pressure and if its not then its a mechanical problem inside the trans, which may call for a replacement of the solenoid pack or valve bodies, hopefully your under warranty or something....should have gotten a manual

Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 AM

The diagnosis is 90 dollars and I could see them blaming it on my intake or something dumb.
I suppose I should just take it in and get it checked though.

Wouldn't the check engine light come on if those things were the problems?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 AM

When you say jerky shifts is it just one solid hard shift or does it actually feel like it shifts in/out/in/out/in and then goes? One solid hard shift is one thing. Not finding the gear in an auto is something else and it shouldn't be doing it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM

no the cel would not come on and i dont know why it wouldnt, even if a car is missing gears or u cannot engage them it still wont throw a cel, as long as the trans how power to it and it can actually make a shift it does not care when or how its done.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM

I see.
It jerks when it shifts as in one solid shift between gears, but it is harder than usual. In an automatic it should be smooth shifting right? But in my car, it shifts hard from 1 to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd and etc. The gear shifting just doesn't feel right.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM

That's all perspective. This isn't a Nissan with their slip-tronic auto. You CAN feel shifts (thankfully) with this tranny.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 AM

u need to find some1 who has another stock auto 3 and drive there, or have them drive your and get their opinion, tbh i wouldnt know if my trans had a problem like hard shifting because i ALWAYS (seriously im not exaggerating) drive in tip-tronic, the feel and timing are all up to me and its inconsistent and i dont care as long as the stupid thing shifts and not slip

Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 PM

I love the tiptronics. But the only thing I hate is the downshifting for you! I can only shift up in tiptronics because I've accidently shifted down when it is in the process of downshifting so it shifts down two gears.

But I will take your advice and find out!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM

tiptronics just remind me how much i really want to dive stick shift. the trans should not kick down unless your really low spd in high gear ex. in 4th gear and 30mph, yea the trans is gonna kick down and its supposed to cuz if it didnt you would be creating a good bit amount of stress on the motor esp if u tried to accel at that range

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM

The one good thing about the tiptronic is it almost eliminates human err, it will not let you down or up shift if you not in the correct speed range.

Quick Reply: Jerky gear changes in automatic 2008 Mazda 3