Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

little things

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: little things

I have a 1"x2" hole in the radiator support behind the grilltothe left of center as you face the car. Is that what you're talking about?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: LordChrisofSith

Not sure I like the glued on wheel weights.

I wouldn't worry about that, Chris.
In the old days sticky (double-sided tape) weights or "stick-ons" as they were known would fly off all the time because the adhesives were not that good.
Adhesive technology has come far since then and I'm sure having a weight come off again is a rare thing.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: dentinger

if the wheel wieghts are on the lip of the rim, they are just hammered on.
if they are inside the wheel rim, they are glued on (sticky weights, as we call them).

off topic, i always wondered what the purpose of those weights were...

Old 10-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Wheels and tires are never perfectly balanced on there own. And especially when the two are put together they need to be balanced so as not to have uncontrollable vibrations.The tiremight be heavy on one side while thewheel is heavy on that same side when put together, you see?Even just having the valve stem on one side of a wheel throws it's balance off. The only practical solution is to balance them both as a set.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 PM

i change them in my auto shop class haha. we got a wheel balancer and im like awesome at balancing tires. but when i saw mine im like wtf i didnt understand lol how do i take thooose ones off lol

Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 PM

uh, this 1x2 hole in the bumper? you mean the small circle on the passenger side of the car?? that so that you can rescue workers can put a tow hook in there if the need be.
its also good for racing and such.
I have that circle in my bumper, I can tell I could punch it out, but it is not punched.

My guess was it isthere so those in colder climates couldrun a block heat power cord through the bumper.

If I did punch it, I don't see why water coming in that little hole would be troublesome.

I've driven in quite a bit of rain, my engine compartmentis amazingly clean, so I don't think a lot of watercomes in through the front of the vehicle.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

That plug pops out to expose a captured nut inside the REAL bumper. There's a tow hook (screw) that hold the jack inplace @ the back of the car. If you unscrew the jack, that tow hookcan be screwed into the threaded hole in the bumper once the cap is loosened.
RTM for further information.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 PM

uh, this 1x2 hole in the bumper? you mean the small circle on the passenger side of the car?? that so that you can rescue workers can put a tow hook in there if the need be.
its also good for racing and such.
this is my buddies speed3. hes got his tow hook in all the time...not a bad look in this case, imo.

[IMG]local://upfiles/339/DA784F68EB4F4094BE8E7EED1826E340.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/339/ED354E748BD2485093DB978DE6A45407.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM

is that the tow hook that comes with the car painted over or did he get an aftermarket one?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I have a 1"x2" hole in the radiator support behind the grill to the left of center as you face the car. Is that what you're talking about?

Yes,, that is what I meant, the hole is to the left of the engine hood anchor, where a wire goes through from the hood anchor (when you stand in front of the grille, looking aft of the car) Thanks to virgin1. I was driving a few days ago in rain and found that out when I got home. Another occurance was also rated to rain, and I went through a bog puddle at night at about 45mph, the result was that water was all over in the engine bay (on underside of hood as well) when I got home. Just to be sure, everything is fine, no big deal.

As for the rear vent on the i-sedan, you can see it from outside of the car by looking through the bottom of the rear window, initially I thought it's pretty useful lto have a vent there, but reallized it's just a decal.
________
butt Cams

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: little things