Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

little things

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: little things

Whoa. 'Lotsa' activity on here in the last 24hrs.

First, no I doubt that the short shifter will help you missing 3rd gear. Mine did nothing for this issue.Yes, I've missed 3rd a few times myself before and after the TWM, and if any gear were to be missed, 3rd would be the most likely candidate. Ya' just have to make yourself understand (get used to) where it is.
2nd, Jaime, you are new driving a standard shift, and I imagine fairly new to driving in general. This is not meant as a put-down, but reverse is a low gear designed to handle higher torque than say 4th, and it is not a synchronized gear either, therefore the teeth of the inner locking pair of gears may not "mesh correctly every time. Just as SPeeDy suggests, on and off the clutch, part way, once will help w/that problem. No need to come all the way off and back on again.Just alittle dab'll do ya'.
Same w/first (though it is double-synchroed) if you are having trouble getting it into gear the first time. Try not to force it. It will loosen up with use, time and familiarity.
3rd. I too find the push-on/pull-off hi-beams to be a PIA. Though I can live with it, I prefer the pull-on/pull-off method too.
4th.As for a compartment where the nav would go is concerned, there isn't enough room under the to create very much compartment anyway. Besides, if there were a compartment there, where would I put my gauge pod?

wineye, the talk around the Mz3forums is that it is a diagnostic connector for dealer use, though as far as I know that rumor is unconfirmed. IIRC, one guy who claimed to work at a dealer said so, but was unable to explain what diagnostics it was for.

Are you sure that "blank" parts of the rear shelf vent are not actually rubber and/or a spring loaded plastic valve? It may be part of what used to be known as a "flow-through" ventilation system allowing air pressure built up in the cabin to escape into the trunk area as needed. i.e. The heat/vent system is on fresh (outside) air, but none of the windows are down. You might look into the trunk, or remove the parcel shelf as necessaryto investigate. Or using a screwdriver to gently push it open (down) might tell the story too.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM

thanks virgin, but that was only half of my question you answered. would the new aftermarket bushings make a difference?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 PM

yea thanx guys im gonna try that. anyway people im off to work laterr

Old 10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SPeeDy3

thanks virgin, but that was only half of my question you answered. would the new aftermarket bushings make a difference?
I have the shifter and the bushing installed. No difference for third gear, imo.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 PM

NO DIFFERENCE?? really? not even in the throws?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

NO DIFFERENCE?? really? not even in the throws?
Ofcourse the throws are shorter, but the percentage of difference in the throwsis the same.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:41 PM

i know we're getting opff track virgin, but one more question.. is the the short shifter worth it then? in your own opinion.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

If it answers your question, I wouldn't go back to the stock shifter.
However, the normal 3 TWM is less expensive and includes the bushings. I could be wrong (ask TWMto besure) but I don't think the MS3 TWM includes the bushings? I know they can be ordered seperately, but when I was last lookingon their site it said nothing about the bushing kit coming w/the shifter kit.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM

thanks. it does answer my question. but i have looked at some websites where they offer the bushings with the shifter for $20 extra.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM

little trick i learned when i was driving my civic. if its not going into reverse, pump the clutch one more time and try it again. itll go in easy.
I agree, my Toyota was like that, sometimes you had to clutch twice to get it to go smoothly into reverse (or to go back in 1st after being in reverse).This iscommon to many sticks.

Quick Reply: little things