Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

looking for ideas on were to mount my garmin GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Default looking for ideas on were to mount my garmin GPS

So I got a garmin c550 gps and I want to find a place that I can mount it kind of perminent, even if I have to buy a remote ant.
I would like to be able to avoid having to take it down like my radar detector ever time I park. It has the traffic and blue toothon it and would be useful every day on my commute.
If anyone has a any pic's or idea's that would be great.

thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Default RE: looking for ideas on were to mount my garmin GPS

Anyone know the part number of the factory gps pod...I guess you would call it??

I found this but way to much $$
http://axelatuning.com/gpsunit.html

thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 PM

The first thing you need to do is check with your state's laws as to where you CANNOT mount it to. For example, California does not allow you to mount anything on the inside of your windshield. Many were mounting their GPS, radar detector, stickers, window tint, etc. and the state decided that it was hazardous to have something possibly obstructing your view, so they passed a statewide law.

Do not mount it low on the shift console, as it would be too difficult to watch and drive at the same time. I have what looks like a mini-bean bag chair, for my TomTom. It sits on the dash, making the GPS easy to see, and when you stop for the night, its easy to just pick up the unit, unplug it, lock in your glove box and toss the bean bag under yor seat. Remember, out of sight, out of mind. (Never leave your GPS in plain view overnight. It is very tempting to steal and can be sold easily, as the new 'owner' doesn't have to 'subscribe' to any service to make them active, like a cell phone would.)

I would not mount it permanently, as you would want to take it down to lock it up, away from suspicious eyes and 'sticky fingers'.

Hope this gives you some 'food for thought'. Good luck.

If you've never used a GPS before, you will be very pleased with how the information you're provided with enhances your driving pleasure. Bottom line it relieves a lot of stress.

Wes.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM

hi
thanks for the input.
I know in our state its cool to have stuff on the windshield.
I hear you about the sticky fingers, thats why I want to try to do some sort of mount that can not be swiped quickly.
Like I was think some sort of mount in the center of the dash were the factory option goes, but the piece that snaps in there is a little to rich for my blood.

See I don't want to have to get in the car, grab the bean bag or window bracket ,dig out the power cord, plug it in and then stick it on the window every time I get in the car.

What i'm thinking now is mounting it up above the rear view mirror, running the power cord out of sight along the roof and down the pillar to the center console and into the cigirette lighter in the center arm rest.
I have my old garmin up there and it works well and gets a signal.
At night when you look into the car you don't see it sitting up there because of the factory "tint" I guess you would call it. That stuff they put on the glass around the rear view mirror.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM

I don't take mine down after every stop in the daytime. I just put it away at night, when most car invasion/robberies occur. If the window tint on the top of the windshield hides it enough, it may work out okay up there for you. Running the power cord around the inside of the windshield can be a pain in the butt. That is how I have my radar detector setup, up high where it can catch the radar probe from the greatest distance away, giving me ample time to 'stomp on the brakes'!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 AM

i hear you on the radar detector, plus mine has a rear facing eye to detect the buggers behind you...
Anyone not putting there detector up high on the window isn't getting the most out of them.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM

mine sits on the inside of the window.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

mine sits on the inside of the window.
I would hope so I don't think it would do to well on the outside.....
Not really made for that.....LOL
I think I'm going to try to mount it rightnext tothe rear view mirror by the factory tint and see how visable it is at night.
I think most people would be looking for them down low on the windshield or on the dash.

Problem is my new one has the traffic option and I'm not sure if the traffic ant/power cord is long enough to make itinto the center stack glove box.