Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Manual shifting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Default Manual shifting trouble

New to the forums.

Had a question about my car. 2010 Mazda 3 manual transmission. When my car sits in the cold, I have trouble going into first and second, but no other gears. Could it be worn syncro's I'm guessing since every other gear is fine shifting?

Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Is it better when the engine and gearbox are warm?

I think the oil is a bit stiff. Try to better align the synchro rings by going into neutral and letting out the clutch pedal for a second.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM

Yes it gets better. After about half a mile the shifting is easier. But it makes me think the syncros because every other girl is fine when the trans is cold.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM

This is a fairly new car, so there shouldn't be much wear on the synchros yet, unless it has been abused.
How much play do you have on the clutch pedal? Play means: free travel until you feel the resistance by the clutch spring. There should be about 1".

Consider having the transmission oil replaced with a synthetic variety.

don't tell me the 3 is a girly car!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Banned
Arrow

Originally Posted by Brian Faessler
Yes it gets better. After about half a mile the shifting is easier. But it makes me think the syncros because every other girl is fine when the trans is cold.
Where are these girls you speak of?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
This is a fairly new car, so there shouldn't be much wear on the synchros yet, unless it has been abused.
How much play do you have on the clutch pedal? Play means: free travel until you feel the resistance by the clutch spring. There should be about 1".

Consider having the transmission oil replaced with a synthetic variety.

don't tell me the 3 is a girly car!
X2. Use a multi viscosity oil. Sycronizers are brass, but unless you "grind gears" at shifting, these should be far from worn out. I've been in a few manual trannys (never a mazda) and to find basically any gear bad (non race car) is rare. You will have normal mesh wear over mileage. Clutch travel, or "toe play" at 1 inch is something I would prefer also, I don't "ride" the clutch. Toe play is built in for those that do.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Where are these girls you speak of?
Hey. Girls were on the mind Gears* lol

Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevinkpk
X2. Use a multi viscosity oil. Sycronizers are brass, but unless you "grind gears" at shifting, these should be far from worn out. I've been in a few manual trannys (never a mazda) and to find basically any gear bad (non race car) is rare. You will have normal mesh wear over mileage. Clutch travel, or "toe play" at 1 inch is something I would prefer also, I don't "ride" the clutch. Toe play is built in for those that do.
I'd say play in the pedal is about an inch. I haven't noticed much wear from when i first got the gear. I don't speed shift, but I know I'm not the smoothest shifting wise going into second. Not sure what the gear ratio is for first gear, but I'm guessing it's pretty tall?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Also, i've only got 46.6k miles on it. so not too much wear and tear on it.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Try a multi viscosity in the tranny. I don't know what yours is recommended, but on the low end 80-90, yours could be higher.

Quick Reply: Manual shifting trouble