Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 keeps stalling when i stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Default Mazda 3 keeps stalling when i stop

Ever since summer time hit i noticed my battery light would flash. I looked in the mazda book and it said the alternator could be bad. I would drive and the car would hesitate on power when i hit the gas. Then it began dieing while driving. I put a new alternaor in and the problem has gotten worse. I talked to a friend of mine and was told it may be something with my fuel filter. Anyone have ideas on what the problem may be. I dont drive it anymore it dies all the time on the road. I drive a 06 mazda 3 2.0 with 89K miles.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM

unless you have the right tools your not gonna be able to fix this issue, it could be fuel system, EVAP, MAF, or battery, id say start with a diff battery, if the problem goes away then just get a new battery, if the problem is ok for a few then it repeats itself after getting a new battery then you have a parasitic draw somewhere (shop fix)m other than that your guess is as good as mine

Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM

Since you have a battery light flashing I highly doubt you have a fuel filter issue.
And the symptoms you describe doesn't sound fuel related either.
It is odd that the issue is worse since putting in a new alternator. Are you sure you got the right alternator? Have you taken it to an auto parts store to have them check your charging system? When was the battery last replaced.
I wonder if you had a bad alternator and you now have a damaged battery along with it.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Default Auto.. Manual?

IF you have the 5 speed I got nothing but if it's an automatic then it could be the electronic lock on the transmission. Sometime the locking mechinism on suto transmissions go bad and they lock and don't unlock when your speeds slow down. Do you notice does it do it more as slow speeds high speeds when you come to a stop at say a traffic light? Just a thought of someting to check.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Default Same problems

Hey man, not sure if you ended up fixing your car, but I had the exact same problems. My car was having a really hard time accelerating, and making noises when trying to acceleratem, super rough idle, stalling at stop signs/red lights,horribble fuel economy,and just overall running like ****, not to mention check engine light on. So I the Kingston Mazda dealership told me it was my o2 sensors, im from Ottawa so I ended up driving it back here and brough it to a local mechanic that is trust worthy, long story short they ended up replacing my fuel pump, and took apart my old fuel pump and the filter was just gummed up with all sorts of crap. She thinks I got bad gas somwhere. So it sounds like that might be your issue, but apperantly theres alot of things that could cause these symptoms. If you can DONT bring it to the mazda dealership if its not warranted, there FN crooked, they tried charging me like 800 bucks for the 2 o2 sensors and fuel flush....which was deffinetly not the problem..Good luck

Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Oh by the way I drive a Mazda 3 GT 2005, 109,000

Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM

i finally got a code to set on mine, it was EGR insufficient flow, i gotta run some tests to see if thats the case.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:35 PM
Default Help Please

Originally Posted by highwayzoom
Ever since summer time hit i noticed my battery light would flash. I looked in the mazda book and it said the alternator could be bad. I would drive and the car would hesitate on power when i hit the gas. Then it began dieing while driving. I put a new alternaor in and the problem has gotten worse. I talked to a friend of mine and was told it may be something with my fuel filter. Anyone have ideas on what the problem may be. I dont drive it anymore it dies all the time on the road. I drive a 06 mazda 3 2.0 with 89K miles.

I have been having the exact same issue on my Mazda 3 2.L Manual... how did you solve it?