Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 w/excessive cabin moisture

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 01:58 AM
Default Mazda 3 w/excessive cabin moisture

Hey All,

Just got a 2022 Mazda 3 hatchback preferred several months ago, and I've been having an issue with excessive cabin moisture. I live in Florida, where it rains almost every day in the summer, so initially I assumed there was a leak in the vehicle somewhere. What happens is that the car will completely fog up on the inside with water droplets...front windshield, rear windshield, sun roof, and depending on the day, most of the passenger side windows. It's so bad I have to get a towel and wipe away all the moisture, which takes me about 5-10 minutes a day. I brought this to the dealer to have it examined and they acted like I was an idiot and told me to turn on the defroster. After a bit of arguing with them and showing them pictures, I got them to do a leak test, to which they said that they could not detect any leaks.

Now, I've checked myself and have not found any water pooling in the vehicle. I've checked under the carpets, the roof lining, and in the hatch...nothing. I also discovered it wasn't due to the rain when we went from summer months to fall/winter months and it stopped raining daily, but still did it on a near daily basis. It seems to happen when the atmosphere experiences a quick cooling. In the summer, that was when it rained, and in the fall/winter, that's when the sun sets. I've also recorded videos of it doing this, and it always seems to start at the front windshield and makes its way back. It always feels extremely humid in the vehicle and I have to air it out constantly.

Brought it back into the dealer a second time for the issue, they did another leak test, and again told me there was nothing wrong with the car. I asked for a manager, who surprisingly took my side, and offered to hold onto the car until they could replicate the problem. Sure enough, they called me a day later to say that they saw what I was describing. Their mechanic looked it over and said nothing was physically wrong with the vehicle, and a couple others on the lot did the same thing. I asked what they suggested I do, and they said to put anti fog coating on the inside of the windows....pff.

Has anyone had/seen this issue? Am I going crazy? I've owned several vehicles, my fiancée has owned several vehicles, and between my friends and family's vehicle history, no one has ever seen this before. This is a dangerous situation as I can't see while driving if I don't wipe down the inside of the car, and I shouldn't have to be doing this. Thoughts?

Old 01-09-2023, 09:55 AM

Welcome to the forum.

My only question would have been how the service department tested for the condition you are describing. If you are going to answer please don't guess, if you don't know that is better than guessing?

I ask because there is no Mazda service procedure, I am aware of for doing a check as you are describing.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-09-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:06 AM

Hi Callisto,

Thanks for the welcome! They explained to me that they essentially sprayed the vehicle down with a hose. I do believe them that liquid water is not getting into the vehicle, but aerosolized moisture from humidity definitely is.

Last edited by siroz99; 01-09-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:20 AM

Hmmm, ok that method is really only good to find larger water leaks and not really small leaks that could cause condensation to build? Unfortunately, unless the area that starts your problem is at at least isolated it is going to be a tough one to track down. And each time you get the floormats and door panels wet from rain getting in and out is going to make finding the cause more challenging. Is your Mazda garaged when not used? If so I recommend to either lower the driver's window slight or all the way down when parked in the garage. If not then you can get

When I worked at a large RV/Motorhomes Dealership we would used a product similar below that work very well? So it also may be a consideration? Your condition in your Mazda was much like complaints from RV customers.
Amazon.com - Moisture Absorber Boat Dehumidifier Moisture Absorbers Charcoal Smell Remover to Get Rid of Damp Smell & Humidity | No Refill for Basement, Closet, Home, RV or Boating Unscented Fragrance Free 2 Pack - Amazon.com - Moisture Absorber Boat Dehumidifier Moisture Absorbers Charcoal Smell Remover to Get Rid of Damp Smell & Humidity | No Refill for Basement, Closet, Home, RV or Boating Unscented Fragrance Free 2 Pack -

Old 01-09-2023, 10:47 AM

Unfortunately, my car is not garaged as we do not have a garage at home, so it just sits outside in the elements. I have tried a couple things such as adding a sun visor to keep the inside of the cabin cooler, and have placed Damp-Rid inside the car before. The Damp-Rid seems to help but gets overwhelmed after about a week, and I have to replace it. I really view it more as a band-aid than a solution. We will be moving in a couple months to a new home that will have a garage, and I do plan on garaging it, but I do not yet know at this time if that will "solve" the problem. It also doesn't help me when I'm not home with the vehicle. Do appreciate the feedback. I'll see if I can upload some pictures today.

An oil change service is due soon so I'm going to take it in and try to explain the latest update on the issue to them (that it does this even when it's not raining out). Maybe third time is a charm or that new info will help them? I suppose I could also try to take it to another dealer, and I did ask their manager about doing so last time, but he said they had the only master certified technician in the area and that he doubts another local dealer's tech would be able to find out what's going on if theirs can't.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:54 AM

So my only advise about this and dealers is that this area is not in the normal training of a Master Technician, Mechanic or most that work in the service departments but more in line with the body and paint department. I should also advise that dealerships have full access to each time you visit one no matter where you go.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:43 PM

Got my Mazda 3 a few days before Christmas. I'm in the UK and it hasn't stopped raining since I got the vehicle, I'm also finding it's misting up far more than I was used to with my previous car.

In my case I'm wondering if it's due to having arrived in the UK in October (When I was supposed to take delivery) but has been sitting around outside for at least 2 months in all weathers before I got it.
I'm using it every day for my commute now so it's getting a lot of wet shoes adding dampness to the carpets and wihout any chance to dry out much during the day.

I'm thinking of trying to leave some sort of dessicant in it overnight to see if that can soak up what I'm hoping is just some residual dampness.
Hopefully when the weather gets a bit better I can also try driving it with the Windows/Sunroof open to help dry it out.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:22 PM

Mazda's at least we will say purchased new from a dealership will not be affected be simply sitting outside if nothing was introduced wet and then the windows and doors all shut. They are pretty well sealed and there is nothing during the manufacturing stages from MAZDA that would produce anything that would cause condensation as described by the 2 members reporting it on this thread. So if condensation is forming there is water present from some source! The Mazda has no water in the manufacturing and the FL22 if it did have a leak would cause a film on the glass not easily to just wipe off not to mention the smell. And in both cases from members, I doubt that they have used the AC enough to have caused any buildup formed on the condenser. And again, there would not only be moisture and condensation but a foul smell.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:55 PM

Here are a few pics...first is the front windshield where I caught it just starting to condensate in action during a light rain. The other three were the rear hatch windshield and sun roof when the windows were already full of condensation. The moisture is all on the inside.

Two of these were taken in the fall/winter when there was not a rain for days/weeks, and the car had already been wiped down/aired out and dehumidified. I've yet to find wet carpets, roof lining, or hatch. It does tend to smell humid/damp inside until I air/dry it out.

Last edited by siroz99; 01-09-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:26 PM

wow... !
That is an indication of water being trapped somewhere you just have not found yet!

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 w/excessive cabin moisture