Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 w/excessive cabin moisture

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 10:03 PM

I have several cars in my fleet. A couple of them former flood cars and one is a VW product. Moisture in the interior will not only air quality issues, it can also cause oxidization of the electrical connectors and induce an environment that is ripe for mold. Check your cowl area. I would also recommend that you run the hose over the car with someone inside watching to see if you can capture the issue. This is what we use to do at the dealership. Mold is tuff to get ride of once it starts.

Being that this is a 2022, take it in for warranty. Personally, I would push from the air quality - mold perspective. At a minimum I would zap the interior with an ozone generator once the source is found and remediated. Most of the interior leaks I've encountered in other brands have been from the sunroof drains, antenna or cowl drain plugged and overflow into the cabin. Have you checked the carpet- padding for wetness? If found, dry and spray a Quaternary Disinfectant Cleaner to prevent mold.

Last edited by 2015 3 Series; 01-09-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:33 AM

All good advice. ^^^^

The thing is if you look into how the HVAC system is it is not likely in that area. There would need to be 2 drain areas plugged. The sunroof designs had the draining been plugged on the Mazda design of that model headliner damage would have been seen. Running the water over the car had been tried as indicated by the OP but again in this design model it would have been very unlikely to have found the problem. Wherever it is my suspicion is not above the bodies center line. Here is the other thing going to a few dealerships should one be fortunate enough to find the moisture and it is not in any way warranty related a labor charge would be the responsibility of the owner. So maybe in a better interest and advise to stick with the same dealership that the concern was made?
As for the air quality treatment if necessary and the problem not covered warranty should done by a service business that specializes with this. These services by none professionals with Enviromental cleaning often are done incorrectly.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:39 AM

Not following on how it would not be warranty. I wrenched for OEMs for almost a decade. Mind you it has been a few years since I worked in that field, but it is a 2022. Moisture buildup in the car will cause connectivity issues in the connectors on the interior, they are not weather tight. Moisture will also cause a breeding ground mold which is a health hazard. As far as doing the water test at home versus the dealership, well, I am not going to rip all dealers, but your mileage may vary and easy enough to do. As a mechanic, you get paid to repair and very little to diagnose, especially on warranty time. Rattles and leaks are **** jobs under warranty. Let's get back to basics. OP mentioned that the manager agreed and they were able to duplicate. Start here and escalate. Ask for the DSM (District Service Manager). I would also contact Mazda directly and document the call. Lemon laws in Florida are not too bad either. They get X times to repair or the get the car back. 2022 car shouldnt have this issue. You can get sunroof drain leaks that do not water stain the headliners too. I have two cars right now that I need to fix the drains. It's leaking down the A pillar cover (MK5 VW). Do agree that it's most likely not that since it's a 2022, unless someone didnt assemble correctly or a defective joint. I am also going to assume that the evap housing drain has been checked / not plugged up with mold too.

Last edited by 2015 3 Series; 01-11-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2015 3 Series
Not following on how it would not be warranty. I wrenched for OEMs for almost a decade. Mind you it has been a few years since I worked in that field, but it is a 2022. Moisture buildup in the car will cause connectivity issues in the connectors on the interior, they are not weather tight. Moisture will also cause a breeding ground mold which is a health hazard. As far as doing the water test at home versus the dealership, well, I am not going to rip all dealers, but your mileage may vary and easy enough to do. As a mechanic, you get paid to repair and very little to diagnose, especially on warranty time. Rattles and leaks are **** jobs under warranty. Let's get back to basics. OP mentioned that the manager agreed and they were able to duplicate. Start here and escalate. Ask for the DSM (District Service Manager). I would also contact Mazda directly and document the call. Lemon laws in Florida are not too bad either. They get X times to repair or the get the car back. 2022 car shouldnt have this issue. You can get sunroof drain leaks that do not water stain the headliners too. I have two cars right now that I need to fix the drains. It's leaking down the A pillar cover (MK5 VW). Do agree that it's most likely not that since it's a 2022, unless someone didnt assemble correctly or a defective joint. I am also going to assume that the evap housing drain has been checked / not plugged up with mold too.
Great another one! Ok so no not all leaks are under the Mazda warranty. It must first be shown to be a defective item which in this case has not! Read the warranty clearly and try hard not to interpret anything. If you are not sure contact Mazda direct! Next... your word "connectivity" at best I assume you mean that the window glass, truck ,doors and hatch are not sealing? Because if you understood the rest of the body structure integrity there really is only a couple area's remaining of possible water leaking which may be the underbody floorboard caps? But then the OP or dealership would have noticed wet carpet.

I see another one member on a forum (not unusual on forums) that suggest running up the ladder of command. The op has already stated (see quote from OP below) returned to the dealership on 2 occasions with no water leakage found. His vehicle has now or at least because of liability been logged into hi Mazda Vin service information history. He can confirm that with a simple call to the dealership. Contacting Mazda Corp can be done but really the proper way which should be through the dealership. Going direct really does nothing more than at dealership level contrary to the widespread belief. Mazda Corp will simply look at the VIN and may contact the dealership to get their assessment. In this case they may advise to hod the Mazda for several day and do about the same testing they already did. As for the Lemon law, you are waaaaay stretching the limits because in this case the OP has not even begun to go to the level needed to claim that! I suggest through your contacts, and I am sure you have a lawyer that can explain better!
I can surmise from your blanket information about the MAZDA that you personally have not had interior parts, or the HVAC system removed on the newer Mazda's from about 2014 to present like the head liner or windshield and even the windshield wiper cowling. Had you done any of that than you would not have commented on the drain regarding the Mazda Sunroof.

I really chuckled at your comment about how you assume and summed all dealerships service departments management and possibly mechanic's working at service shops in general? All I could say is wow, if I had any mechanic, I managed that did not give or express their opinions and also additional diagnosis they would not be working for me very long. I think mechanic that do service as you posted are called "automatons" ?
Not sure how or what you do or did for a living, but you must have lived a very controlled employment career

Originally Posted by siroz99
Brought it back into the dealer a second time for the issue, they did another leak test, and again told me there was nothing wrong with the car. I asked for a manager, who surprisingly took my side, and offered to hold onto the car until they could replicate the problem. Sure enough, they called me a day later to say that they saw what I was describing. Their mechanic looked it over and said nothing was physically wrong with the vehicle, and a couple others on the lot did the same thing. I asked what they suggested I do, and they said to put anti fog coating on the inside of the windows....pff.
I am here to post help and not create or post conjecture! The first and foremast issue is to give at least credible causes of the leakage and not play lawyer or suggest any legal advice? Unless naturally that member is an attorney then welcomed legal information is also a plus.

IMHO regardless of the 3-4 times the leak was attempted to be found I still believe something is being overlooked! Returning as many times as necessary to the SAME dealership may be in order. Going to other dealerships with this same issue IMHO a waste of time because they will simply repeat the steps the previous dealership already made. So here again returning to the same dealership is a better plan of action. The only thing I should point out that if it is found the fault of the owner the dealership is well withing there rights as an independently owned business to charge the customer for their time!

ASE

Last edited by Callisto; 01-11-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:28 PM

Hey, so just a quick update, but I brought the car in again today to my usual dealer for an oil change, and told them about the issue for the 3rd time, including sending them additional pictures. Their tech looked it over (no leak test this time), said nothing was wrong with the vehicle, and moisture is common for my vehicle in Florida humid weather. They told me to turn off the recirculation on my AC and it should be fine. Problem is, it doesn't really make a difference if recirculate is left on or off for the vehicle, so that wasn't really helpful, and I'm disappointed they're back to the "this is normal" angle, when it's not. My sister's Mazda and my friend's Mazda do not do this, no car in my entire history of car ownership has done this, and not a single car parked out on the streets in my neighborhood does this, it's just mine.

Not really sure what to do here at this point...it's not something I'm doing to the vehicle (and I would be happy to pay the dealer for their time if it were, because then we'd at least have a resolution) but I don't know how to prove this to them. I do not bring any liquids into the vehicle or leave windows open, and I still cannot find any wet points inside the car. The dealer did say they sent the issue and pictures over to Mazda, but that just sounded like it was for documentation purposes.

I've checked all I have the technical skill to check...unless there's something else easy I can look for, I don't know what else to do except to keep bringing it in, but at what point am I just wasting everyone's time? If no one can fix it and I can't get a replacement via Lemon Law (not even sure how I would even go about this even if I had to), I'm going to get rid of the vehicle and get a Civic.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:52 AM

Not that it will solve your problem but it can help a little

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-23-2023, 08:12 AM
Default Dehumidifier

I find a good product for my car after reading this list of car dehumidifiers. Highly Recommended Products. Check out Here

Old 03-14-2024, 07:56 AM
Default Good quality cabin air filter

Hi all, had the same problem with a 2023 cx30 homura. Very annoying for a new car. My last mazda 3 2019 platinum sport had same issue. Guess it's a mazda problem.
Anyway, I have recently upgraded my cabin air filter from the standard to a premium activated carbon one and I don't seem to have the same problem anymore. Beautiful clear glass when I go to it in the morning. I have it a few weeks now. Don't know why this has helped my condensation issue but it has. The brand of filter is blue print. Hope this helps