Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MAZDA 3 Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Default MAZDA 3 Window Tinting

Hey guys. I have an 2006 mazda 3 sedan. It is black with all black interior and I am wanting to go get my windows tinted to reduce some heat and also for look. I live in NC and the legal limit is 35%. Will this still look pretty dark. I figured that with a black car and all black interior it should be pretty black. I just dont want to waste my money if it isnt gonna make that much of a difference. Any help appreciated.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Default RE: MAZDA 3 Window Tinting

well, only 35% of all light will be able to enter into your car through the tint. so there definitely will be a noticable difference between that tint and no tint at all. i have a 15% wrapped all the way around my car, an an eyebrow across the top of the front windshield. check out the link to my car domain site in my signature below...that should give you a good idea of what it looks like. other than that, if i were you id head over to the place that will be doing to tint for you...ask to see what theyve done in 35%.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:07 PM

I ussually go 20% all the way around. It can be a bit dark at night. That is past legal tint so you have to pay in cash, sign a waiver or find a shop that is willing to do it. I have never had to much trouble. Wife likes the
all the rigs dark.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:02 PM

Just a quick shout from PA, our state varies from one municipality to another - however the general guideline here is the dark factory tint is legal and inspectable on all rear compartment windows, or aftermarket tint simulating factory. I'm not sure of the exact % however. As for the front side windows - technically nothing more than the slightly "I think it has something there" tint is legal!!! It will pass inspection if its darker, but you can and will be pulled over for anything darker depending where you live. And a side note for the windshield, like most states, nothing can drop below the ASI line or the vehicle will not pass inspection, and can be pulled over and fined. As well as anything covering the 3rd brake light if you own a vehicle with a window mount 3rd light.

And the usual headlight covers, tail covers, 40% red perimiter in the clear tails.....blah, blah - yeah, I have many, many years and fines & tickets to help pay for our local police force!![&:]

Old 05-27-2006, 07:05 PM

35 will look like garbage, to be blunt. On a black car, you need a darker tint (20% is ideal) My friend has a 93 Acura CL thats all black and hes got 35 on the front windows and 20 in the back (looks wierd, but did it so he wouldnt be breaking the law as much) and the front tint just looks too light. If you get 35 ur guna feel like youve wasted your money, trust me - i got it and the whole time I wished i just got the 20.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 AM

If you cant go with 20% I wouldn't recommend doing it..

Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 AM

Guys just do what my friend did. Go to the eye doctor and tell him your eyes are very sensetive and your job has you driving alot and in the morning you get migrains. If he asks you what you do tell him the truth and say you have to drive alot to get to work and they normally don't ask where you work. There is no test for eye sensitivity. If you work to close to home and you're scared he'll ask for legal then instead of saying your job has you driving alot say you need to take care of your grandmother alot or something. Either way after you tell him all that there's no test he can do to prove you wrong he'll just take your word for it. Say "I was thinking to tint my windows but isn't that illegal?" He will bring up that he can give you a permit to tint your windows as dark as 10%. Say something like "oh could you?" and then you're good to go.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hey guys. I have an 2006 mazda 3 sedan. It is black with all black interior and I am wanting to go get my windows tinted to reduce some heat and also for look. I live in NC and the legal limit is 35%. Will this still look pretty dark. I figured that with a black car and all black interior it should be pretty black. I just dont want to waste my money if it isnt gonna make that much of a difference. Any help appreciated.
Tinting, like stereos, is kinda a subjective thing. Some people will say 35% is useless, other's are happy with 50%. Personally I plan on tinting my car 35% because I don't like it being that dark in the car, especially at night. Then again some people do 5% and are fine with that. Like I said, subjective. You best bet is to actually see in person cars with different amounts of tint. Try to do this is bright sunlight, and at night too so that you can see the difference between them. As for getting darker than legal tint...... Do it at your own risk. Lots of people drive around with it and no one bothers them. Some people just have bad luck and get ticketed for it. It's a roll of the dice.

Here are a couple of shots from our meet in Raleigh last month.

35% all around

factory "nadda" tint. (yeah I know it needs to be tinted. I'm getting there)

both are 35% all around

the black hatch is 20% all around

same black hatch

Sorry I don't have any good side by side shots of the two. Where are you in NC?