Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3i touring mods...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Default Mazda 3i touring mods...

Recently got a 2010 Mazda 3i touring with the automatic trans and want to make it go faster . Does anyone know of a good turbo kit for it. Also, what are some other good performance products out there (besides the obvious cold air intake) pictures and links would be awesome. Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by iceman926
Recently got a 2010 Mazda 3i touring with the automatic trans and want to make it go faster . Does anyone know of a good turbo kit for it. Also, what are some other good performance products out there (besides the obvious cold air intake) pictures and links would be awesome. Thanks for any help in advance!
A few comments:
  • Putting a turbocharger on a car with an automatic transmission is both expensive and a waste of money. Why? The transmission will be toast in short order if you dial in any significant boost.
  • Cold air intakes and the like don't do squat for the performance of the car, and often hurt the mid range torque in the process.
  • Like it or don't, believe it or not, Mazda did a pretty good job optimizing your engine so that it delivers about as good a balance between fuel economy and performance as can be achieved; short of forced induction that is.
Long story short, save your money. Said another way, if you really want/need a faster car, you should have bought a faster car.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 AM

yes would be pricey, but if you have the money for a turbo you definitely would have to beef up the tranny first, which in turn is pricey. http://www.levelten.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=43 , but if you have the money and that's what you want then go for it. keep in mind that you just can't bolt on a turbo and expect to go fast, there are other things to consider to go along with the turbo... ecu, injectors, exhaust, not to mention if the internals can handle the extra boost.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 AM

I am only looking to run a max of 10lbs of boost, i would think the stock internals could handle that, and I am aware of the extras needed as far as fuel injectors etc. go, I was hoping to find a kit that came with all of that or at least most of it. But turbo aside what are some other good products to use that would fit without to much trouble (headers, exhaust, throttle bodys, etc.)

Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Given: Ten pounds of boost should yield ~248 hp from your engine.

I am only looking to run a max of 10lbs of boost, i would think the stock internals could handle that...
No chance, three to four is about all the tranny could handle.

...I was hoping to find a kit that came with all of that or at least most of it.
For ten pounds of boost you might be able to get away with the stock injectors, maybe. To find a kit that includes all of the extra goodies you'll need for a boost like that is going to run you come significant money.

But turbo aside what are some other good products to use that would fit without to much trouble (headers, exhaust, throttle bodys, etc.)
The above changes won't net you much power, and even then it will only be measurable at wide-open-throttle near red-line; the flip side is that you will most likely lose a commensurate amount of middle range torque. So, how much time do you spend driving around with your engine near red-line?

As I said before, you're best bet would have been to buy a faster car to begin with (like a MazdaSpeed3); not only would it have cost you less money to follow this course, you'll have a more reliable car with MUCH higher resale value.

Given that you already own a 2.0 liter Mazda3 with a slushbox transmission, you really have only two good options that make any sense, keep your car stock and live with it, or sell it and buy something like the aforementioned MazdaSpeed3.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 PM

if you want to spend more than the car is worth just to add a turbo... it's your money do what you will with it... but... 8-10k to add a turbo is just not worth it in my book... but it's not my money...