Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Are Mazda Brakes crap? Replacing yearly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ricks02
So you agree with me?
Hey I don't want to get into trouble with anyone's wife.................. LOL

but yes I do!!!! hahahahaha

Old 05-21-2020, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
In the case of my wife, nope, I follow her all of the time; she doesn't ride the brakes.
No comment!

Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM

The cost of rotors today are almost the same as having your old rotors turned. Not to mention travel time to and from the parts store/machine shop.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM

The cost of rotors today are almost the same as having your old rotors turned. Not to mention travel time to and from the parts store/machine shop.
I know this will sound like WT-f, "really" LOL but you would be surprised at how many "new" rotors even OE directly from the dealers parts counter are not machined to .005+/-3. And that a quick 5 minute on the brake lathe cleans them to .001 or 0.00. Most shops don't do this I do and also do a short new pad bed procedure drive of at least 5 miles.
BRAKES are a high priority safety system on any vehicle. I look at it this way the brakes are of the highest priority on anyone's vehicle for optimal operation! . If I work on them they will be in perfect working order!! And if I order the work from one of my Technicians I complete inspect the work as well personally re-torque everything and I am the one that does the final test drive before the customer is called to pick up his vehicle!

Last edited by Callisto; 05-23-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:05 AM

Oh trust me, I know that new rotors can be out.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 AM

Oh trust me, I know that new rotors can be out.
I know you do Rick!
Here's is a little tip for you Rick should you buy multiple parts at the Auto parts chain stores up in WA. If it is parts like rotors or suspension parts , carefully read the information on the box to make sure you at least get the parts all from the same country manufactured in. The other thing regarding brake rotors even if you get them from the same country open the box and read the cast or machined information on them. Try to get rotors that are close to the specification for wear measurements. This is a little harder to do if the stocking levels of any given part is 2. But these same chain store buy from local parts warehouses and can order same day delivery so you could request that a couple extra get sent over so you can choose the best parts.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 AM

Guess I've been lucky so far, either that or the stores I go to run a pretty tight ship. Everything I've been buying that is a set has matched. If they only have one of these and one of those, I'll always pass and wait until they get a new shipment in.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Post has been tidied up.

Please keep it on topic & avoid insults & innuendo.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
There is nothing wrong with MAZDA/Ford brakes (specifically production years 2014-2019) and there are no TSB's or service advisories posted of premature brake wear from at least 2014 to present MAZDA 3s having to do with their brake system and individual parts.

Most of the time with concerns like this threads brake wear is really effected and determined by the end user more then anything else. Your information only suggest that you may simply be using the brakes more then usual and perhaps re-training the use of the brakes might be a thought. This is a conclusion based on your reported frequency in changing normal wear parts and tends to supports an over use of brakes.

I am sure you have had this concern question with the service shop and they may have even in so many words said the same thing I just posted?

And if not then have your complete brake system inspected!
it's easy to chalk this up to the driver being the issue just because it is a normal wear part, but if the driver has driven a different car before with the same driving habits yet not had the issue until owning a Mazda there's something to be said for that. I could be wrong but I'm assuming he has driven other cars previously because if this were his first car he wouldn't even know that this is an issue and would just think it's normal for brakes to wear that fast. I'm having the same problem with my 2018 Mazda 6 GT. I've never had to change brakes this much in my life. Previous car was a Jetta that I had for over a decade and rarely had to change the brakes, maybe every few years. Bought the Mazda with 13k miles and I had to replace the brakes by 26k. And when I replaced them at 26k I could tell the rotors HAD ALREADY BEEN REPLACED once before. I've had to change them yet again since then at around 60k. Mind you I'm driving it the same way I drove the Jetta and in the exact same conditions. This car eats brakes faster than any car I've ever owned. And the brakes are always noisy no matter how well they're serviced or how high quality of a brake you replace them with. That's why I'm looking to get rid of it and get something else.

Last edited by Cdubb; 06-12-2023 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:54 AM

I found from past experience to always replace any worn brakepads with the 'soft' versions.
Replacement of the Pads is always going to be far cheaper than replacing Rotors...

Quick Reply: Are Mazda Brakes crap? Replacing yearly.