Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Are Mazda Brakes crap? Replacing yearly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by tifino
I found from past experience to always replace any worn brakepads with the 'soft' versions.
Replacement of the Pads is always going to be far cheaper than replacing Rotors...
This is not the best thinking for so many reason I would not know where to start??
Let me say your don't pick pads and brake rotors out like that!

Old 06-14-2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is not the best thinking for so many reason I would not know where to start??
Let me say your don't pick pads and brake rotors out like that!
The thinking came from the scene first set in 2001... I had then recently purchased a 10yrs old 626 Estate 1991.
All the brakes were shot in that Rotor surfaces were all worn out having gouges.
Brake man had ordered the replacement parts that he assumed would fit all 1991 mazda 626 cars...
- turned out the Rear Rotors for an Estate are not interchangeable with those of the hatch...
He made the best of the situation by steadily machining the Park Brake surfaces of the 'hatch' rotors so that the result simulated what the Rotors of the Estate Rotors should be...
The next part of the job was that he recommended to go over to the Soft pads so that I wouldn't cop repeats of the problem of not being able to source Estate RearRotorsoff the shelf...

Twenty years later and the Pads from 2001 have only been replaced the one time since... and all the Same rotors that were on the Estate since 2001 are still in great nick.
200K km travels have transpired in that period...

Old 06-14-2023, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by tifino
The thinking came from the scene first set in 2001... I had then recently purchased a 10yrs old 626 Estate 1991.
Twenty years later and the Pads from 2001 have only been replaced the one time since... and all the Same rotors that were on the Estate since 2001 are still in great nick.
200K km travels have transpired in that period...
This senerio only means that you personally have a belief that is now stuck with your thoughts about brakes.
Ecah platform and model and sub models are all different and the key factor is how the person drives the vehicle.
If you read and or find threads talking about brakes all longevity and braking performance comments varies greatly with each member.
There are physical rules and guidelines to all brake disc's, rotors and brake pads when making a replacement choice and should be thought out carefully so that you get the best braking if it is a vehicle being used for transportation and shared on the road with others.

Pads should not be considered first for their ability to keep your wheel's clean!
If for Mazda and newer model manufactured from about 2014 and newer the OEM are overall the best choice for replacement brake pads and rotors. SPCIFICALLY because they were engineer for the Mazda braking systems.