Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda says I need to change oil every 5,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Blatto
Yes I realise it's a Mazda forum, I've just joined in anticipation of my new Mazda 3 Skyactive X being delivered next week
That's a big factor over here as Petrol is extremely expensive now, around about $10 a gallon in your prices and US Gallons.
There's a guy who comes into my local pub who has the Mazda 3 Skyactive X and he has been very happy with it and is getting about 58mpg so it was high on my list of potential next cars.
Hopefully my run of reliable cars will continue with the Mazda which will be getting 3 oil changes per year with its very low (by UK standards) 12,500 mile intervals.
Blatto I am not really a DIY so to say if you hopefully continue to become a regular member may learn... don't get me wrong I just tend to frown when I read some things that people believe to be true! My personality is somewhat derived from learning to find empirical data and supported factor with verifiable information by way of experience or research fact finding. Us ASE's are like that and yes I use a pocket protector and always have a pen or pencil and something to write on for notes. LOL
I know you will enjoy your MAZDA, just take the time to read the complete owner's manual and actually learn exactly how your Mazda performs and how all the features work! As far as "claimed" MPG by any auto manufacture or owner for your new Mazda you will not really see the best overall MPG until the engine has fully broke in which can be up to 13-15 k miles.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-03-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Blatto I am not really a DIY so to say if you hopefully continue to become a regular member may learn... don't get me wrong I just tend to frown when I read some things that people believe to be true! My personality is somewhat derived from learning to find empirical data and supported factor with verifiable information by way of experience or research fact finding. Us ASE's are like that and yes I use a pocket protector and always have a pen or pencil and something to write on for notes. LOL
I know you will enjoy your MAZDA, just take the time to read the complete owner's manual and actually learn exactly how your Mazda performs and how all the features work! As far as "claimed" MPG by any auto manufacture or owner for your new Mazda you will not really see the best overall MPG until the engine has fully broke in which can be up to 13-15 k miles.
Yes I can appreciate what you are saying, I am a scientist by profession and I'm sure you are right, more regular maintenance will lead to less problems and lower engine wear in the case of oil changes.
But as I have had no problems using the recommended intervals I'll probably just stick with that for now.

As for the MPG, yes my current Ford was about the same, was getting about 5mpg more by about 15K.

Very much looking forward to the new Mazda and I always have a good read through the manuals/ check out the forums to see what other people might be experincing etc...

I'm sure I might have the odd question or two once I've owned it for a few weeks.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 12-03-2022, 02:13 PM

Yes I can appreciate what you are saying, I am a scientist by profession
I'm sure I might have the odd question or two once I've owned it for a few weeks.

Thanks for your replies.
Nice profession Blatto!
In my life I learned early on to use the The five steps of the scientific method for verifying information especially information that seems off the cuff from some forum members without any real supportive data or information.
Before cars and motorcycles, I wanted to be a Paleontologist. To be sure that was decades before Jurassic park Made Dinosaurs popular. Lets say in my childhood in the mid 60's > But as an adult I also frequently was attending college for on and off for years taking classes in Biology, Anthropology and Archelogy. But as life had a different road to follow for me. LOL

Old 12-08-2022, 10:15 AM

Nice profession Blatto!
In my life I learned early on to use the The five steps of the scientific method for verifying information especially information that seems off the cuff from some forum members without any real supportive data or information.
Before cars and motorcycles, I wanted to be a Paleontologist. To be sure that was decades before Jurassic park Made Dinosaurs popular. Lets say in my childhood in the mid 60's > But as an adult I also frequently was attending college for on and off for years taking classes in Biology, Anthropology and Archelogy. But as life had a different road to follow for me. LOL
Oh well, I suspect your current profession is more lucrative than your intended direction.
I'm in Air pollution monitoring which is failry high profile these days, sadly not matched by high wages

On another slightly sad note, my Mazda 3 which was due this week has now been delayed for another 10 days. Hopefully get it in time for Christmas and get it run-in carefully before the snow arrives.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:32 AM

Oh well, I suspect your current profession is more lucrative than your intended direction.
I'm in Air pollution monitoring which is fairly high profile these days, sadly not matched by high wages

On another slightly sad note, my Mazda 3 which was due this week has now been delayed for another 10 days. Hopefully get it in time for Christmas and get it run-in carefully before the snow arrives.
I am sure you will be just fine. Nothing really harms the engine extending service schedules by a couple hundred miles.
OFF TOPIC:
I hold a current California Emission test certification until the end of this month. I won't be renewing. To many new guidelines and we no longer offer testing in the shop I manage. Besides I catch all the spies they send out to see if compliance is done at Emission certified shops and it get old having BIG BROTHER spying on you. I mean we must visually inspect the engine for none OEM parts even if they are OEM replacement to make sure they are acceptable under the CA air resources board qualification. LOL
Back a few decades ago CA Air Resorces Board was trying show how many vehicles were polluting by road and highway air samplings. It was a waste of state tax payers money and a way to increase the proposals for stricter emission stands from the auto manufacture. Which we all know California is the influence for all US sold vehicle's. So here is the funny thing, these testing sites hidden in bushes most all had equipment that needed power. So they had small gas powered generators. Get it! ROLMAO. Several of us up and down the state took pictures and had them published in local and state newspapers. Ever see a Brigg and Straton small generator with emission control parts? LOL

Old 12-08-2022, 12:00 PM

I am sure you will be just fine. Nothing really harms the engine extending service schedules by a couple hundred miles.
OFF TOPIC:
I hold a current California Emission test certification until the end of this month. I won't be renewing. To many new guidelines and we no longer offer testing in the shop I manage. Besides I catch all the spies they send out to see if compliance is done at Emission certified shops and it get old having BIG BROTHER spying on you. I mean we must visually inspect the engine for none OEM parts even if they are OEM replacement to make sure they are acceptable under the CA air resources board qualification. LOL
Back a few decades ago CA Air Resorces Board was trying show how many vehicles were polluting by road and highway air samplings. It was a waste of state tax payers money and a way to increase the proposals for stricter emission stands from the auto manufacture. Which we all know California is the influence for all US sold vehicle's. So here is the funny thing, these testing sites hidden in bushes most all had equipment that needed power. So they had small gas powered generators. Get it! ROLMAO. Several of us up and down the state took pictures and had them published in local and state newspapers. Ever see a Brigg and Straton small generator with emission control parts? LOL
It's often suggested that Americans don't understand Irony, you have just posted a good example of it.

Getting slightly back on Topic, I think I might have missed the oil change on my Briggs & Stratton lawn mower, it seized up this summer
Gonna get it it up on the bench over the winter and see if it's repairable.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:22 PM

It's often suggested that Americans don't understand Irony, you have just posted a good example of it.

Getting slightly back on Topic, I think I might have missed the oil change on my Briggs & Stratton lawn mower, it seized up this summer
Gonna get it it up on the bench over the winter and see if it's repairable.
Well I will up you the oil in my very old (antique NIB when I it not displayed on my ceiling ) late 1960's P40 never flown engine is locked because the oil used when it was manufactured broke down to a gelatin like substance and locked the engine. ROLMAO

Old 02-11-2023, 12:09 PM

I live on Cape Cod and recently took my car in for service because the oil was just above the bottom hole on the dipstick after 5050 miles. The low-oil light had not gone on. Although the car was set for 7500 miles the dealership told me that our area calls for a 5000 mile interval and they changed it on the car. I asked them to check for oil consumption issues but they said they found no problem. They told me that if the low-oil light came on I should bring it in so they could analyze the oil consumption issue. I asked how many miles I could drive safely with the low-oil light on but I have not received an answer.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce Keay
I live on Cape Cod and recently took my car in for service because the oil was just above the bottom hole on the dipstick after 5050 miles. The low-oil light had not gone on. Although the car was set for 7500 miles the dealership told me that our area calls for a 5000 mile interval and they changed it on the car. I asked them to check for oil consumption issues but they said they found no problem. They told me that if the low-oil light came on I should bring it in so they could analyze the oil consumption issue. I asked how many miles I could drive safely with the low-oil light on but I have not received an answer.
LOL how many threads are you going to ask about this? Go read my responses on the other thread you asked about this!

Motor oil and filter service is really up to you and at least follow the service scheduling service recommendation for WARRANTY purposes. What you choose after the warranty is up to you. I recommend to my customers 5-7k miles (this is dependent on the complete information I know about their engine how they are used) on just about any engine. On my own NEVER past 5k miles.

A good investment it to get at least one oil analyzed before 40k miles on the engine just to see what is in the oil!

BlackStone Oil Labs
About Us | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

Last edited by Callisto; 02-11-2023 at 01:26 PM.