Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Default Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable

Hey everyone,
I purchased a Mazda3 2006 last year and I couldn't be happier. Recently, however, there seems to be a louder than usual scratching sound when I brake. From what I can hear, it seems to be from the rear left side wheel.

I recently found out the the parking brake cable needed to be replaced because I think it had seized. Anyways, I've included some pictures of the brake rotors and disks. The left rear looks unusually used, while the others seem to look okay.

What would be the best solution?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable-rear-left-pad.jpg   Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable-rear-left-rotor.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM

How long has the car been sitting when you took the picture? Are the 2 pictures of the left rear brake? Were you having issues with the parking brake?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned
Arrow

Recently I had my brakes done and they squeaked. The reason was because when he put it back together the hardware wasn't quite sitting right and he had to re-bend a hold down. Next time i'm putting in new hardware, not just brake pads!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 PM

The car was sitting there for maybe half an hour to an hour. The two pictures are from the same left rear brake. And yes, I was having issues with the parking brake, it would not seem to engage (I think it was rusted and needed to be changed).

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM

For sitting only 30 mins or so the rotor sure does have alot of rust on it, this was the first thing that caught my eye, it should look shiny, there does appear to be grooving but it looks normal, what gets me most is how different the top of the rotor looks compared to the lower part. Makes me wonder if your caliper on this side is not working right, can you get a pic of the right side for comparison?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

^^ what he said, while there is some grooving the pad is clearly not making contact with the entire surface of the rotor.

Even more importantly you need to check on the inside of the rotor and the inner brake pads. The early 1st gen models tend to eat the inner pads more aggressively.

I'd think about pads and rotors for at least the rear axle.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Alright so I've added a picture of the rear right rotor. As you casn see it looks a lot cleaner. I guess it's not a good idea to change only the rotors and pads on one side?

Attached Thumbnails Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable-rear-right-rotor.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by francisg3
Alright so I've added a picture of the rear right rotor. As you casn see it looks a lot cleaner. I guess it's not a good idea to change only the rotors and pads on one side?
If you do, please also install new hardware hold down! Rotor looks great, how are pads on that side?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM

I have a picture where you can see a bit of the rear right pad (attached). I'm somewhat mechanically inclined however I have never changed brakes before. With the right tools I imagine it can be done easily?

Attached Thumbnails Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable-rear-right-pad.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by francisg3
Always do work in pairs, all rears or all fronts, never just one side (unless its a quick fix to get home) or you could possibly unbalance your brake system and it will pull to one side. The right rotor looks really good, I dont think you will need new rotors but it wouldn't hurt taking them off and having a shop refinish them for the new pads. As said before change as much hardware as you can (springs/clips etc) since you definitely have an issue with the left side, also be sure to put some good caliper grease on both calipers so they slide evenly and release as well.

Generally you should only need a couple basic tools, while your at it now would also be a great time to bleed all the brakes, flush out the old fluid with new, you would be surprised how much this helps braking if its never been done before.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable