Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 2006 Brakes+ Parking Brake Cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Always do work in pairs, all rears or all fronts, never just one side (unless its a quick fix to get home) or you could possibly unbalance your brake system and it will pull to one side. The right rotor looks really good, I dont think you will need new rotors but it wouldn't hurt taking them off and having a shop refinish them for the new pads. As said before change as much hardware as you can (springs/clips etc) since you definitely have an issue with the left side, also be sure to put some good caliper grease on both calipers so they slide evenly and release as well.

Generally you should only need a couple basic tools, while your at it now would also be a great time to bleed all the brakes, flush out the old fluid with new, you would be surprised how much this helps braking if its never been done before.
+1. machining rotors vs. replacement is sort of a toss up. Your right one does look nice.... the left one not so much. Some shops won't let you just bring rotors in for machining, instead requiring you to pay them to remove and replace them. Beyond that there may or may not be enough depth to the rotor to machine, and even if there is doing so takes some of the thickness out of the rotor increasing the chances it will warp later.

You can always ask for a machining estimate somewhere and check the details. They'll let you know the cost and if the rotors can be machined. Check the price of new rotors as well..... when I did mine it was about $20-30/rotor to machine, or $45/side new.

As to doing it yourself it's totally doable. The catch with the rear brakes is the piston needs to be compressed and turned to retract for the new pads. There are several compression tools around you can use, check with your local auto parts store to see if they rent one out. Otherwise you're stuck with the needle nose plier method which is a PITA. Beyond a compression tool you need a large allen socket for the slide bolts (can't remember the size of the top of my head).