Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 questions (interested buyer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Default Mazda3 questions (interested buyer)

Hey all, I've been looking online at lots of reviews, road tests, and forums about the Mazda3 and it's variants. I'm very pleased with what I have read about it. In fact, I cant remember anything truely negative about the car from what I've learned. But I'd still like to find out some more info on it that I can't seem to find much reference to online and on this forum.

First: how are the factory HID headlights? Are they that much brighter than the standard halogen lights? Has anyone had any problems from them?

Second: How is the factory GPS system? Is it accurate and easy to operate? I'm really interested in this feature since I'm in the U.S. Army and will be traveling a lot to new duty stations and while on leave to visit family cross country.

Third: If I get this vehical, I will probably get the S Grand Touring model with most of the options and a 5 speed manual. Of anyone who has this model or options on this model, do all the extra features seem to work well and seem worth the extra money? Especially the bose sound package. Does that system really sound great for a factory system?

I'm stationed in South Korea right now and am not able to just go out and test drive one or even see one in person. I will be back in the states in August and will be car shopping then. I am interested in this car because I already have a 4x4 gas guzzler for the winter time (Ford Explorer) and now looking for a nice compact hatchback or sedan that gets good gas mileage and is fun to drive. I also need it to have decent cargo space be comfortably seat children and adults in the back. I find that this vehical fits all those needs from what I've read. Pretty much the only thing that I have no clue about is how this car will hold up after 5 or 10 years of use.

The only other compacts that I have been interested in are the Ford Focus and Honda Civic. I've read a lot of good things about the Focus too. The Civic I most likely wont buy though. My friend has a 99' model and it's real reliable, smooth and quite... but it's weak as crap and pretty boreing to drive and look at. I'd like to hear what you all have to say about what I've said and asked. Even though I expect you to be biased toward the Mazda since you own one, I'd still like your honest experience with your Mazda3 hatchback or sedan.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Default RE: Mazda3 questions (interested buyer)

I purchased an '06 3i in September of last year. I read the reviews online and that stuff, but that doesnt tell you much, you actually need to go and drive one to find out how nice of a car it really is. i first drove one in 2004, but we bought my wife a Saturn instead, then this time around, i had to get my Mazda 3. it was great, i will not drive her Saturn again, unless i have to. the projector lights are much brighter than the standard sealed beam halogen on most domestic cars. since my car does not have the options that you listed i cant comment on those. all in all it is a great car, fun to drive, handles well, and the 3 can take out a Civic.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:48 PM

I am also a potential owner (within the next week or so) so I will share with you all of the research that I have done....well atleast what I can remember.

Dodge/Chrysler - Neon/SX 2.0 (3 day weekend Rental) - Price seems to be a bit too high for what you are getting. Poor fuel economy, poor performance, wasn't a very inspiring ride at all. The 3 speed automatic is quite the gas guzzler on the highway if you drive even 5-10 over the speed limit.

GM anything - I have had poor reliability from them in the past and refuse to own another.

Ford Forus (3 day weekend rental + Test Drive) - Expensive, really nothing fantastic about the ride at all. I didn't even talk price with the guy after the test drive, I told him I was no longer interested after driving it.

Nissan Sentra - All around decent car, didn't like the looks of it. Did not test Drive.

Toyota Corolla - Too expensive, no dicker sticker = me no buy Plus Toyota is still living off their reputation from the 90's. IMO they don't make anything spectacular anymore.

Now for the 2 real Contenders in this class.....

Honda Civic Sedan - I'm looking at the DX-G (Canadian) with Automatic, AC and the 5 year/130k extended warranty. It wins over the Mazda 3 in 2 area's Fuel Economy and Resale Value down the road. It wins the fuel economy by quite a bit actually. But it is a more expensive car and the current financing rate through Honda is no better than your personal bank would offer you. There are no rebates or inscentives and the salesmen are not willing to budge on the price unless you pretty much tell them you have decided to buy the competition. Price $25,400, best negotiated price $23,600 all in.

Mazda 3 Sedan - I'm looking at the GS model (Canadian) with Automatic, AC and the 4 year/100k extended warranty. It wins over the Civic in perfoemance, price and current factory finance rate. Without even sitting down to negotiate price wize the salesman offered to knock $900 off the price right away. Price $24,800 and I have yet to seriously negotiate a price, but was told that 24,000 wouldnt be a problem. I will be aiming for high 22's low 23's. There are 4 on the lot with the "Power package" so I expect him to cut me a deal to buy one off the lot.

The mazda is more fun to drive and where one falls short the other accels. The honda has more glitzy safety gear, but the mazda is more solidly built. The honda had standard ABS but the Mazda has 4 wheel disk standard.....all the same in my eyes. Where the Mazda wins out is in value, you can get a very well equipped Mazda 3 alot cheaper.

For me it comes down to price. If the Mazda salesman gives me the deal I want next Wednesday night, I will be the newest Mazda owner on these forums. If he decides to play games with me, I will be buying the civic

Hope that helps ya out a bit. I know CAN/US models vary, but the cars all feel and drive the same in the end.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 AM

Thanks a lot, Bomb and Michael! I really appreciate you sharing what you have experienced with these vehicals and taking the time to tell me about them.

So has anyone tried out the GPS, Bose system, or any other nice options on the Mazda3? Thanks again in advance...

Old 02-26-2006, 12:29 AM

Got the Nissan for the weekend as a rental....

It seems very poorly built in the front end. Very slow and unresponsive too....I expected more from Nissan

Old 02-26-2006, 02:25 AM

I bought my 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback 2.3L GT without actually having even drivin' one..just sat in them...had planned on buying it just as a commuter car,..but i love the thing so damn much i couldn't help yself..already started tunning it. It is a blast,..cna't say enough good things about. I have every option but the Nav. system. I have leather, Bose, automatic tranny with the available shift on the fly...the car handles GREAT,..is plenty zippy,..and gets decent gas mileage (not as good as rated tho) I got my car OTD for $22,500.00
The only problem i have had with the car has been the 6disk CD changer,..every once in awhile it'll choke up on a CD,..i just turn the radio on,..and usually after i have restarted the car, everything works fine..if it keeps up i might take it in and get it warrentied...till then it doesn't happen very often...other than that the car is GREAT!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2968/E3869F6A0142479081D2FC95F3DEBA5F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Sweet, thanks falerios!

Bomb.. which Nissan? Sentra, I'm guessing..?

Old 02-26-2006, 02:39 PM

I purchased a 3i about 2 weeks ago, I have very few complaints and they may not even apply to the S that you want to get. First the interior is almost all black. So the floors, dash and even the doors get dirty very quickly. Second, our version doesn’t have lights on the vanity mirrors, but that is most likely because we got such a cheap one. Lastly the key remote does not come with a truck release button. So you have to use the key on the trunk or pop it from the inside of the car. This is a big pain when your hands are full, plus when it does pop open it only moves up about 5 cm, so it is still kinda hard to open. All in all I am very pleased with the purchase and would recommend one to anybody.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Yepp it was a Sentra, I am not impressed with the looks and price of the Altima 2.5 enough to go test drive one

Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM

I'm also interested in the Mazda3, especially the hatchback. I like what I've been reading about performance and quality, and we liked the test drive. My only concern at this point is the A/C system. I've read a couple online owner reviews where they complained about the performance of the A/C, and that is very important here in the Phoenix area. Anybody else in AZ care to share their experience?

Mike

Quick Reply: Mazda3 questions (interested buyer)