Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Things I like to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Why do you label your oil filter?
I was printing labels that morning for other things none car related had the printer out. Normally I write it on the filter as you can see in the last posted picture of the remover filter and also in past post when I change the oil/filter. It was a practice I started years ago in my shop which included the service number as well. For a DIY it not a bad idea so you have a record of it for various reasons.
Besides I own so many vehicles and engines with filter it makes it easy for me to see at a glance when I last serviced them.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Don't you use a service sticker? or set the service reminder in MZD connect?

Old 07-31-2020, 12:07 AM

Don't you use a service sticker? or set the service reminder in MZD connect?
Post #116

Old 07-31-2020, 12:13 AM

Breather hole sanded flat and ready to be taped for the AN adapter.

I cut the oil filler cap tube to do the build up of JB Weld for the new filler cap.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Callisto
Post #116

So why label the oil filter? What purpose does it serv?

Old 07-31-2020, 10:12 AM

So why label the oil filter? What purpose does it serv?
Lets see the reasons...
1. Mazda OEM Filters where printed with an actual area to write in this kind of information.
2. It is a back-up prof of service. I have even been known to have the latest newspaper with the date showing in some background pictures.
3.I post on dozens of forum on a technical advisory and as a common DIY so other member seeing pictures of this may pick-up better DIY working habits?
4. I like to do it because I am so "A" personality, a practicing perfectionist, **** retentive personality, and most of all it kills time waiting for that last drip out of my oil pan

Now you are really going to twitterpate about but I also record all service,and MPG information from day one of my Mazda 3.

Hmmm ....interesting pulling out the first note book....I was getting slightly higher MPG then current. It is likely because my car weighs about 350 lbs more with all the stereo and upholstery upgrades? LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 07-31-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Breather hole sanded flat and ready to be taped for the AN adapter.

Drill and tapped for the AN adapter. In the last picture it is not fully tightened in the threaded hole. After the completed other changes and final finish I will install the adapter with Teflon tape.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

I used to run a petrol book, but I joined the 21st century and record the details on my phone using an app.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Nice app!.
I actually keep a journals of several my vehicles and especially the ones I mod,build or or Race. Some of them are much more in depth then I could log all the info on a cell phone. Many also have corresponding CDs with complete pictures. Trust me when I say my world is already full of DATA logging of 21st century devices. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 08-01-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:38 PM

The next step will be to [size=13px]partially[/size] fill the valve cover filler tube and then re-drill later. I need to raise the filler next to [size=13px]accommodate[/size] the OE engine cover that I upgraded. Normally I do not use and engine cover but I liked the way the MAZDA engine cover looked and even more so when I did the finish work. I know a [size=13px]few[/size] of these [size=13px]pictures[/size] at this point may make no sence but as I get closer to the [size=13px]finish[/size] and then the completion it will all come together. I HOPE!!

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Things I like to do