Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Things I like to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally I had planned on upgrading to STOP TECH rotors and changing out my calipers I just rebuilt but then decided to do the BBK from CorkSport on the fronts. The only thing is their calipers are Anodized RED where I painted my rears RED Caliper Paint. I guess the contrast will be ok. I can't Anodize cast iron parts. I know if I wanted to re-paint them I could come close to an Anodized finish but what a PIA to do all that. So the Red rear will stay.

REAR Calipers

Old 10-30-2020, 04:32 PM

I was close enough to the 5,000 mile tire rotation and pulled the wheels off to have them re-balanced. I installed the OEM wheels so I could do a complete cleaning of the wheels and tires.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-30-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:18 PM

I am revisiting the exhaust system project again. Currently I run a Racing Beat muffler . But I am wanting to experiment. So I got an OBX CAT back and will modify it to what I need and want. The one thing I do not want is more interior noise. This OBX will not be quiet as the exhaust I have but I can cure that and even help increase the exhaust air velocity to maybe even make a 1/2 HP increase.... LOL

The plan is to install the exhaust cut out by removing the resonator. That area is large and will acomedate the large area needed and keep good ground clearance even if I decide to lower the MAZDA .075 inch. Then I will use the rear pipe section and cut the it and install a Porter Muffler as the replacement for the resonator. This way I will not reduce the exhaust flow and it will act as a pre-sound level reducer before it goes into the twin small tail OBX mufflers. So theoretically I should have a nice sports car sound only being produced out the tail pipes and not increase the sound level or sound resonance in the interior. In Theory LOL
Oh I forgot to mention after all the welding I will remove the completed system and thermal wrap all the pipes back to the tail section of the exhaust and install above the heat covers some sound deadening material. .

As I always say this thread is not about what will work but more simply what I want to do...... for the fun of it.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:04 PM

What started out to be a nice Sunday drive.........

turned into a nightmare of dirt on the MAZDA.

We left the house and only wanted to go to our usual over look up in the Serra Mountains. The day was Sunday and dry when we started what was only going to be a couple hours drive. Well it still only was a couple hours but what we did not expect was to get into fresh snow recently cleared using sand on Highway 80 towards RENO. Then when we got to our turn around point it started to hail. The temperature started out a brisk 48F then dropped to 28f in the mountains. It was still a great day for a scenic drive but 3 lbs.( I weighed when I swept my street gutter when I was finished) of sand was washed off the underside chassis and the body of the MAZDA. I started at 7:30am and finished a 1:30 PM. I had to pressure wash the complete underside of the MAZDA. I did not clean the engine compartment because I just ran out of steam to do any more cleaning today. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 11-09-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:49 PM

All this talk about cold weather temperature's I decided to change my engine oil and filter a little sooner then my normal 3000 mile intervals. As always I replace the drain plug gasket but this time I also replaced the seal on the oil filler cap. I am still using MAZDA Oil filters mostly because i purchased a case of 12 of them. The choice of winter oil is 0w/30 Mobile 1.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Cold temps? I'm expecting the mercury to hit 104`F this weekend.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Cold temps? I'm expecting the mercury to hit 104`F this weekend.
I woke this morning to 26F=3.3c this morning and my quick drive to work the coolant never got above 130F. I guess it is time to also change the summer thermostat 170f back to 180f for the winter temperatures. I suppose I should check my coolant to water percentages as well. Thanks for the response I may not have thought about this for another month or so!

Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Default @ 29213 MILES my TRANSMISSION Basic Filter and pan fluid change

@ 29213 MILES my TRANSMISSION Basic Filter and pan fluid change. I wont really go into the procedure because there are already dozen of DIY posted on the WWW available. So it will be mostly just pictures. This is how I did MINE right wrong or indifferent . It is NOT intended as a How to nor a TECHNICAL write up/illustration. Just me as a DIY and spending the day with my MAZDA.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:31 AM

Old 11-12-2020, 10:33 AM

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Things I like to do