Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Things I like to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 12:20 AM

Well I started yet another project.

Got me a HORN kit to add with the stock horns. This thing is really obnoxiously load. purrrrrrfect!

Started late in the afternoon so I only got as far to mount the air pump.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Holy crap. I was not prepared when I came into this thread. Not all my style, but fantastic work. I like to think of myself as handy, but after reading this........

Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
Holy crap. I was not prepared when I came into this thread. Not all my style, but fantastic work. I like to think of myself as handy, but after reading this........
THANK YOU !

All told it seems to be coming along as a combination of a few of my past cars I have owned.... 1970 Camaro, 1955 Chevy, 1982 Camaro, and a couple others. hehe!
It is just turning out to be a fun car to mod up .

Old 05-15-2020, 10:00 PM

Well I stated to make the brackets today to mount the horn along the fire wall.

Needless to say I will not be mounting in the location pictured. Because it is behind the engine and with the hood shut the sound level is muffled to almost equal the factory horns.

Then after I had the cut and was trail fit everything I wanted to test the sound level so I taped it to the location on the fire wall , jumped the leads from the battery to the air pump and one of the OEM horns, shut the hood and tried it out.

So I am going to mount the horn in the front at the base of the plastic undercover panel and between the grill and AC condenser. It will be nice and load ther, FOR SURE!

Keep in mind the brackets are not finished yet. These are the rough cuts only.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-15-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

This is what I've had in my car for quite a few years.

Very effective at gaining people's attention & portraying my frustration with their pitiful driving skills.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

What's the item I've circled in red?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
What's the item I've circled in red?

Well, well, another keen eye!

It is the main computer for my alarm system. It has its own self contained and chargeable battery, can detect the degree (mm for U ') changes in the vehicles resting position , it is self leveling each time I turn off the Mazda and can be set to activate alarm should someone attempt to raise any part of the car. (like attempt to steal my wheels & tires). Has it own voice alarm or I can pre- set it with a short phrase in my voice i.e. "get the fu*k away from my car"....or it own pre -set voice alerts i.e. "alarm is activated" , and then 15 seconds later the alarm goes off as well the Mazda's horns. Will send a message to my cell phone and GPS location and activate my front and rear dash camera's. ( I am working with the the product developing Engineer to connect my rear back up camera as well) The system will also send a GPS location to my cell phone in case someone is actually able to tow off my car. (another item I talked to the product developer is to be able to have the rear parking brake activated in a intrusion event through the alarm ). If towed or an attempt to hot wire the ignition the ECU will not power up to run the engine anyway. This is a Prototype system so there are a couple of "bugs" that they are working out.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-16-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:50 PM

I assembled my own wiring harness for the air horn project. This little simple job took 3 hours. Most was waiting for sealers to dry between coats. When I install it nothing will show to much and what does will look like it is suppose to be there close to OEM for wires. At least that what I envisioned when taking on this project.

I wrap the convoluted covering with electrical tape a small piece of Gorilla duck tape, color it with my "secret" pre- painting adhesive(it was the cooper looking part of the harness in the other pictures, and then shoot it in durable electrical liquid tape
l

Virtually all of this wiring harness will be hidden behind something when I am done installing it .

I need a bigger project bench

I didn't like the chrome IMHO to aftermarket looking so a little semi black 3m vinyl does a nice covering the chrome.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-18-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Well I turned a simple horn kit that should take about an hour to almost 4 hours of work now!

Here is the finished custom wire harness. Now it does look very long but in actuality by the time I install it it is about an extra 15 inches for the "fudge factor" having a little more then a little less when routing it in the engine compartment.

I also painted the air pump bracket and top cover. I forgot about a circuit protect fuse so I ordered a few 15,20 and 30 automatic reset circuit breakers and will use the 20 amp for the project. I may decide to mount a rear horn in the bumper area and my wire and relay will handle the load without taxing anything on the factories electrical system?

When the complete factory air intake/filter box is removed there is so much more room to thread the new wiring harness.

Now all that is left is mounting the HORN itself!

Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Now if only the trumpet on the horn was curled you’d have way more options in how it’s mounted. Granted it doesn’t need to be pointed forward... it will be loud no matter where it is.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Things I like to do