Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

mazda3speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Default mazda3speed

What do u guys think of this car? I am thinking of geting it as a DD or tradeing in my evo for it. I love the evo but it lacks good interior and it costs a arm and a leg to maintain it. Is there any problems with it like weak trasnmission, clutch or any thing like that. Any input would help out a lot. I just want a car that is aok performance car which means to me is fun on the street formlight to light andon the turns not saying for raceing but that has good picup. Has a good interior and is cheap to maintain. Thanks for any help

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Default RE: mazda3speed

....keep the evo if i was you....speed is a nice car but evo is better lol...mazda speed is a overall good car i cant say much since i am still new to mazda but mazdaspeed doesn't have problems or anything like that ..or at least i think.....any mazda is a fun car to drive i have the 2 liter base model mazda with manual t and its fun and handles around corners like a charm..and its still stock.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 PM

opt for the speed3 if you want a more refined car and about equally acceptable perforance. the 3 is also nice because of the many ways in which it can be utilized. track it or get groceries in it. the convenience of a wagon is an A+. sure the evo is a beast on the auto-x track, but is second to the mazda as a daily driver.

my suggestion is to drive one and see how it nice it is.

good luck.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the input so far great forum. i bought the evo thinking great DD because 4 door and i could track it on weekends. So i thought i found the best car for what i wanted. Well i was half right still don't go to the track that offten is a great track car and ok DD. It sucks for the interior and has a lot of problems with transmisson and clutch. And cost arm and leg to maintain. Is the interior nice on them i will have to test drive one before i decide. But it sounds like the 3speed is what i want. Just not sure if i shoudl trade the evo for it or save up a liitle bit more for a down payment. What do u guys think i already have the evo payed off so save up and get the speed3 as a DD or just trade the evo and only have the speed3 thanks so far.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:31 PM

I just got a Cosmic Blue MS3 as my first car, and I love everything about the car, except for the really wimpy horn. My parents used to have a 2006 Chevy Impala SS, and that car was a real beast, but the speed 3 is just as much of a beast as the impala was!

Like Lupae3s said, I'd go to your local car dealers, and drive your Lancer Evolution to the dealership, and take the Mazdaspeed 3 out for a 20-30 mile test drive, if the salesman/woman will let you.

If the Speed 3 is not your cup of tea, check out a VW GTI or even a Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 PM

yea we all complain about our horns lol but thats not a big deal. I say get the speed if the evo is giving you probs i have never heard of anyone having transmission probs with the speed. The speed handles great only diff is its not 4 wheel drive and doesnt drift like the evo can. i'd go with the speed since you mentioned tranny probs with your evo....yea i know i change my mind quick

Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM

yea i am going to have to test drive it. Sti have the same problem if not worst then evos ms3cbmbut thanks for the suggestion my friend owns a Gti those things are fun for how little they are. Well so far its between the 3speed or the civic SI. Not sure i will have to take all of them for a test drive and see if i like them more. Any more input on any other type of cars for around 26,000 and less that is ok performance car and good DD. Thanks for all the help guys

Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Between the Speed3 and Si, hands down, the Speed will win every time.
The Si is a revver. The Speedcan be driven civilly or revved.No contest, imo.
The GTI suffers from modern German car (especially Audi/VW) syndrome. It'll start falling apart within a coupla' years. VW's rep for reliability has been in the toilet for years now and I would stay away, if I wuz U.

The early Speeds had an engine mount problem and frankly, I still wouldn't trust them or the replacements.It seems a weak link in mostmodern Mazdas. But there are a few companies coming out with AM mounts (Street Unit, for one and my own, AWR is another) that are much, much stronger. For a few $$$ they could be replaced and no more mount troubles.

There is also a plastic squeak that has been identified as coming from the cowl plastics. I don't yet know what Mazda is doing about it, but I'm sure if you're mechanically creative, you might find your own solution. i.e. Some sticky foam or strip caulk between the painted metal and plastic.
The other negative, is that most Mazda dealers seem to suck.I have read many that have said they've hadlots of trouble with their dealers, and I include myown, who's treated me like a moron even though I've told them cars are not new to me.
Most of us simply avoid the dealer for anything but warranty work and it takes care of itself.

These are the three issues that I know of... the common ones at least and most are early '07 models. Could be they've already fixed these in the '08's?

Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 PM

That is great so far. The squeak should be covered under warranty. The stealerships are bad for mazda too. Yea i have not found to many good dealerships yet. It looks like the speed is a good car if these are the only problems so far thanks for the help guys. U mazda guys are much better then the cocky evo community[:'(]. How is the space inside of it. Is it as big as it looks. And can it fit people in the back with leg room

Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Recently, my 77 yr old MIL whohad knee surgery 3months ago was going out w/my wife and I. I asked my wife to sit in the back somyMIL could be more comfortable up front.
She (my MIL) chose to sit in the back and when I asked her how she was w/it, she replied, that it was OK. I was a bit surprised as I (6'0") have a tougher timew/ingress and egress back there.

As far as the forum is concerned, yeah, we're a pretty friendly bunch and don't usually take things too seriously. I wish I could say that about all the members on all the other Mazda forums out there, but it ain't so.