Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Default RE: Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast

Sure why does bmw and MB use it. Does cars come from the dealer with syntec.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM

I didn't look up the 383, but I have no idea on the 348...maybe Internation (i.e. Scout)?

I hope that the UOA comes back ok and I can just start feeling comfortable with the engine. I have the full 100,000 mile warranty so I'm not super worried as long as I follow the warranty requirements.

It seems that Audi is also having some issues with direct injection and fuel dilution as well.

Do a google search for either BITOG or bob is the oil guy and you should get a link to the forum.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: dimevivo

Sure why does bmw and MB use it. Does cars come from the dealer with syntec.
It's a good oil to be sure, but more manufactures choose Mobil 1 than Castrol Syntec for the factory fill so that's not really a great measure of quality.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dimevivo
Sure why does BMW and MB use it. Does cars come from the dealer with syntec.
Yeah, you're right. But you are also comparingcompanies who's car's start @ 10G more than the Speed3, and German engineering to boot.
This is Mazda's (a relatively small company) first attempt.The Japanese are extremely good using existing technologies, modifying it to a higher standard, and to suit their business needs.They always have been. But this is new to them.
I'm not saying there are, but there could be problems w/the first, even second model years.
I said I would never buy a first model year anything. Then I bought my 3. I've been lucky and consider myself so that I have had virtually no problems w/this car in 30K.

In either case, that's just my opinion of the situation and won't solve Diamond's problem. Only a pro with the correct equipment will be able to tell for sure.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond

I didn't look up the 383, but I have no idea on the 348...maybe Internation (i.e. Scout)?
WOW!! That's good!! Most know of the stroker GM, but less know about the Mopar, though it was a pretty popular engine in it's day.
Hmmm. My older Bro had several International trucks and iirc, that's a 342 or 343, but don't quote me.
The 348 was also GM, little known, but had staggered valves.I don't recall if it was a "W" block engine or not.I think it was just the head/valve configuration that was different. It had a sister engine, but I don't remember it's size.
Besides, I was just messin' with ya'.

OK, now (oops!) back on topic..... I'd be curious to know what the outcome of the UOA is too. I'm sure you'll post the results?
The fact that Audi is having similar problems does not surprise me. Their QC has been questionable (up, then down) for many, many years. And VW's has been in the toilet.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 PM

virgin1,

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...art=5&vc=1

Try this link for information on BITOG for the RS4 issues.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Man. They're gettin' down with that, and I only read a few posts!!
I hope for your sake, and other Speed3 owners that Mazda wasn't taking their quesfrom Audi.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Man. They're gettin' down with that, and I only read a few posts!!
I hope for your sake, and other Speed3 owners that Mazda wasn't taking their quesfrom Audi.
The RS4 engine is very unique so I don't expect to have identical issued. The block is aluminum and ceramic, I if I remember correctly, and the cylinders are etched to expose only the ceramic for a glass finish. I think they bit off more than they can chew.

I would be interested to run some of the super oil that was developed, but I'm sure Mazda wouldn't approve. The guy working with the oil company is the person Iam consulting withfor advise and to do my UOA. I think I'm in good hands.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Pardon my last post, the block is silicon aluminum.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Running a high detergent synthetic oil in a brand new turbocharged engine WILL make the oil get black very fast. Usually it's a good idea to stick with non-synthetics for the first 6k to allow the rings to fully seat against the cylinder walls.The only engines that can get away with running synthetic from day one are engines that are meticulously hand built and use special coatings internallyand have little to no break-in wear.(Yes, some cars are factory filled withsynthetic, and those cars are designed for it)If you switch to a high quality converntional oil (such as castrol GTX or Valvoline) for your next oil change or two, then switch back to your preferred brand of synthetic after that, I'm sure the oil will remain clean longer from that point on. The converntional oil WON'T hurt the engine, and a properly broken-in engine makes more power and will last longer. They dontspecify synthetic in the manual, so conventional is just fine.

The other part of the problem is the Mazdaspeed3 runs very rich from the factory (look at how fast the exhaust tip becomes black after you clean it, it takes minutes instead ofhours like on most cars), and even thoughthere is still a normal amount ofblowby gasses, they are much dirtier than in most engines, and will make the oil dirtier fasteras a result.
The first two oil changes on my car were veryblack and after that it gets no darker than any of my other cars. I ran Valvoline conventional for the first 10k, then switched to Mobil1. Both were 5w30. Also, I've been using Champ brand filters, they fit and work as well as theMazda filter.

Also, direct injection has no bearing on the amount of ring blowby.When the fuel is injected it atomizes instantly andcreates an instantcontraction of the gasses in thecylinderfrom the cool fuel entering the hot cylinder which actually creates a negative pressure influencewhen the fuel is injected, NOT a burst of 1600psi ofpositive pressure.(on some direct injection engines theyinject the fuel just before the intake valve closes to use this contraction as a suction effect to draw more air in, butthe MZRengine does not take advantage of this effect for some odd reason) Even if you were to ignore the laws of physics, the injector is open and closed so quickly and such a small amount of fuel is injected that it has a similar effect to inflating a flat tire.. yes, you injected a burst of 120psi air from the air compressor into the tire, but the tire takes a long, long burst of air to fill to even 35 psi.

Sorry for the long post, I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast