Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Melted tail lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Mine melted too. First time I've ever been displeased with Mazda and this is the second one I've owned (the Protege was a tank even though I had to zip-tie the hubcaps on---did you ever see a Protege with 4 hub caps?)...

Mazda 3 5-door 2007 purchased new in Oct 2006, my FIRST new car. 62,348 miles and just over 6 years old. It's been well taken care of, all oil changes completed on schedule and all maintenance done at a Mazda certified dealer (I know it's a rip off but I thought I was being careful). I've purposely kept my mileage under 10K per year to try and take care of it. As you can imagine I was thrilled to pay it off just a few months ago, it being my first car and all. Then this happened. Oddly enough it is exactly the same as other owner's postings here and on other forums, down to which side was the worst.

Driver's side brake light had a silverdollar-sized hole in it, blackened around the edges and steaming up the enclosure. Other side was bubbly. All OEM parts, no modifications or repairs, original bulbs.

Called Mazda after I made an appointment at my local dealership: "We need the details, call us back tomorrow after your appointment." She kindly gave me a direct extension and returned my call promptly this afternoon.

From the dealer: "Unable to find cause for tail lights melting." "Voltage okay at this time." Same for brake light switch.

That was on the report in addition to the things they told me directly. Same thing you guys heard "We've never seen this before." (insert astonishment) Then they gave me some line about as bulbs age they get hotter and brighter (what?!). To which my diesel mechanic brother, via text, said BS it's the factory parts.

Cost:
$145 for diagnostic (for which they originally quoted $72)
$17.58 for 2 clear bulbs
$221.83 for one assembly (the fully melted one, the other one didn't have a hole so they left it)

From Mazda Customer Care (a very nice woman, but their policy is horrible):
$150 in one-time use Mazda gift cards (3x$50 if you don't hit $50 you lose the balance) that expire in one year. (What do I do when this happens again in 3-6 years?!)

My response: "I can't buy groceries with gift cards."

So that's been my experience and obviously I'm not happy about it. I love love love my little car but this will make me think twice before buying Mazda again and will certainly stop my positive word-of-mouth. This issue is not only costly but a hazard, who notices their tail/break lights unless someone else is driving their car? At the first indication of this happening again, I'm driving the 5 hours and have my brother put in the LEDs.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by mlhenry; 05-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Default Melted tail lights

Also have this problem . Have a 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback just failed inspection for cracked tail lights. Red cover lense is melted on top
, both sides. Original lights from factory. Wasn't there ever a recall for this faulty problem? How did other members take care of this? Trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM

Same, I have this problem too. I have a 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, funnily enough it passed the rego check a couple of weeks ago, but I'm sure I've noticed a weird fogging effect in the rear lights a couple of months ago, only now noticed it had melted on the inside and is exposing the white light from the bulb, hopefully I won't get a fine because of this before I get them replaced...!!!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Wow perfect timing for a necroe'd thread.

My '07 Mazda 3 hatchback just lost a tail light. The bulb has a hole in it were the red plastic from the tail assembly melted down onto it and caused it to crack. This is the second time this has happened; we hoped the first time was a fluke. We had replaced the whole tail light on each side due to it.

I was hoping someone here had found an LED replacement for the 7443 that fits inside the tail light housing. Everything I find reads like it's going to be too long or it's got terrible reviews for being too dim.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM

its not cheap, but you could get the LED version of the tail light assembly that was available in 2007.
LED Red Tail Lights Left Right Rear Lamps 04 06 Mazda 3 4D 4DR Sedan | eBay

Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Default Melted tail lens

Thought I'd post an update in case it helps anyone.

I called a nearby Mazda Service Centre to find out if there was a recall for the melted tail lens issue, they said no and that they hadn't heard of this problem.

I submitted an online case to Fair Trading to see if they could help. They spoke to someone from the original Mazda Service Centre that I used to go to (and never again due to the problems I had there, but that's another story). They got back to me saying that Mazda were willing to replace the tail lights as a "good will gesture" (ie free of charge).

So I called the Mazda Service Centre and they explained that I would have to leave the car there for "at least" a day so they could inspect the tail lights, then they would submit a case to get the lights replaced, which I was told would likely be accepted. I would then have to return the car for the replacements. However I explained that the light sockets are now also damaged after becoming brittle from the globe heat, and don't fit in properly. They said this might cost around $60 to replace, and $60 for a loaner car if they have to keep my car overnight.

I'm turned off the idea of leaving my car at the dealership twice after my experience with them, and who knows if Mazda would actually go through with the good will gesture - BUT, I thought I'd let others know in case you want to try this path.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Guill
Thought I'd post an update in case it helps anyone.

I called a nearby Mazda Service Centre to find out if there was a recall for the melted tail lens issue, they said no and that they hadn't heard of this problem.

I submitted an online case to Fair Trading to see if they could help. They spoke to someone from the original Mazda Service Centre that I used to go to (and never again due to the problems I had there, but that's another story). They got back to me saying that Mazda were willing to replace the tail lights as a "good will gesture" (ie free of charge).

So I called the Mazda Service Centre and they explained that I would have to leave the car there for "at least" a day so they could inspect the tail lights, then they would submit a case to get the lights replaced, which I was told would likely be accepted. I would then have to return the car for the replacements. However I explained that the light sockets are now also damaged after becoming brittle from the globe heat, and don't fit in properly. They said this might cost around $60 to replace, and $60 for a loaner car if they have to keep my car overnight.

I'm turned off the idea of leaving my car at the dealership twice after my experience with them, and who knows if Mazda would actually go through with the good will gesture - BUT, I thought I'd let others know in case you want to try this path.

Interesting, i took my mazda 2008 for service 120k and indicated that the lens is gone. I said it wasn't like that last week as I reversed my car at home with the window reflecting the lights as I normally check the lights.

I thought originally when they done the service they changed the passenger front headlamp globe. I found out the same night when testing at night that the rear drivers tail light was melted and that after doing electrical work they short circuited the system. There was also another matter that concerned me, they said that the interior light was still on, and that the door ajar light was still on the dash, hence the reason why I couldn't central lock the car. After making some investigations with a auto electrician, indicated that my drivers side headlamp was blown. That was impossible as they replaced the passengers side head lamp globe.

this meant that not only they replaced the wiper motors as a recall, they had to do some electrical work. This meant that after they replaced the left front head lamp that they short circuited the rear tail lamp popped out breaking the lens leaving the globe in to simmer making the lens to melt.

in anycase, I took it back I told them that they short circuit the system simply because they put in the front globe in but during that time the drivers side was working. They denied it and its impossible for that to happen. Well, in my car experience of 20 yrs lens dont just melt after they fixed the front globe it fizzled the rear tail light then the drivers globe taking out the central locking and door ajar light. Looking at the manual electrical wiring, all are related lines as they provide earth to the interior lights and the door ajar and the central looking.

at the moment they are looking under special warranty request to replace it or under cost but thats just an indication that gee we are not prepared to admit its was our fault but will get it fixed.

Will see how I go when they get back to on the tail light.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:15 PM

Only two things I can think of that would cause enough heat to melt your tail light lens.

One would be a improperly installed bulb. Second, which is usually the case, the wrong bulb. Just because it fits doesn't make it right. I've seen the wrong bulb, wrong wattage, give off enough heat to melt the lens. Double check what bulb is in the socket and what the manufacture calls for. This may be the root of your problem and not a short.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky202
Only two things I can think of that would cause enough heat to melt your tail light lens.

One would be a improperly installed bulb. Second, which is usually the case, the wrong bulb. Just because it fits doesn't make it right. I've seen the wrong bulb, wrong wattage, give off enough heat to melt the lens. Double check what bulb is in the socket and what the manufacture calls for. This may be the root of your problem and not a short.
Hmmm....now thats interesting one also, but I had the car since 109,000k's now 122k. I serviced the car at Mazda at 110k and nothing of the sort. I never needed new globe or renew it. Now at 122k took it again at Mazda for the service now I got melted lenses " all of a sudden". Considering I went out on Australia day night and the day before at 8PM various people were behind me and not even mentioned it. Infact, my mum mentioned she remembers distinctively that my tail lights were not white but red.

I have 1 person indicating that I should convert to LED lights instead just to be on the safe side as I cant imagine myself renewing a whole tail light housing everytime, just because of that issue.

anyway, I see what other explainations that might occur.

thanks

SB

So either the time I took it there to the time I left it somehow tail light were melted.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM

I was just thinking, as dangerous as that can be, if your problem could have been caused by something very uncommon. If the brake light element broke just right, it may have laid across the tail light element and caused both elements to be burning with the headlights on. This would definitely produce enough heat to melt a lens in a small amount of time. Like I said, just thinking.

Quick Reply: Melted tail lens